back to article Rackspace changes name to – drum-roll please – ‘Rackspace Technology’

Rackspace has changed its name to “Rackspace Technology”. CEO Kevin Jones said “Our new name, mission and multicloud solutions better represent the full value we bring to market. Our mission is simple. Embrace technology. Empower customers. Deliver the future.” Rackspace is a technology service provider exists and therefore …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Rack Space Technology

Then they will be worth as much as SpaceX

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Rack Space Technology

Nano Rack Space Virtual Cloud Technology Powered by Blockchain\

Might as well hit all the hot PR buttons.

2. redpawn

Makes it sound like

a mattress company I've seen that wants to be sophisticated, having springs that push back with exactly the force applied to them and all.

3. Sanctimonious Prick
    WTF?

Friends With Benefits

I once worked for a small Co. that sometimes barely had enough money to pay staff, but they paid a small fortune to add one word to their Co. name.

The name change process was done by a relative to one of the bosses.

I only learned of this after the other boss had a whinge session with me about his business partner.

(Too often, these two bosses would whinge to me about the other, so it comes as no surprise that after a falling out between the two, one bought the other out. I tried to stay loyal to the boss that gave me the job, but, he like, started kicking the cat, me being the cat - so one day I went in to resign, "you can't resign, you're fired." So I joined the other boss in his new venture) ;D

1. renke

Re: Friends With Benefits

> paid a small fortune to add one word to their Co

or a new logo. decades ago my dad worked for a company running a new&better campaign, including a reworked "more modern" logo. iirc it took a year and costed a gazillion in designer fees.

the result was very similar to this not-very-far-from-the-truth ascii representation. the boring and old-fashioned logo |BYK| was changed to *drumroll* ▉BYK|||| (hope I got the numbers of bars right. they had a meaning, you know!)

4. MrMerrymaker

Industry confusion

Perhaps they feared being mistaken for a shelving company.

Or one that performs breast augmentations in orbit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: Industry confusion

But now I am confused, and thing they make technology used for shelving solutions or orbital breast implants that other organizations do.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

“Our new name, mission and multicloud solutions better represent the full value"

Huh?? Was anyone under the impression that Rackspace wasn't a technology company?

This has to be one of the more inexplicable company rebranding exercises of all time.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Angel

Re: “Our new name, mission and multicloud solutions better represent the full value"

Well going by the old name I would have guessed they made servers. Going by the new name, I guess they make expensive and over priced servers.

Was that what they were going for?

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Re: “Our new name, mission and multicloud solutions better represent the full value"

So close. If they'd managed to work "paradigm" into that they'd have had a house in wankword bingo.

3. AdamWill

What I like is that the branding company cunningly built obsolescence into the new name. In five years they'll be back to get paid another eye-wateringly large sum of money to change it to "Rackspace Solutions".

4. 5YearsARacker

Rackspace being a technology company would certainly be a surprise to Rackspace employees. I should know, I am one.

This is going to be a flop like the rebranding last year. Unless A LOT of people get very good at IT very fast.

6. Not Enough Coffee

I thought "Bitcoin" was the magic word to add to your company name to make it more profitable, or is it out of vogue now?

7. Troy Tempest

On Fail, re-brand

As Windscale became Sellafield, a name change can give extra milage for a while at least.

However, “Fanatical support” mantra still equates to “we’ll bend-over backwards” and thus needs some re-work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like