back to article From off-prem to just off: IBM Cloud goes down planet-wide so hard even the status page didn't work

IBM’s cloud has gone down hard across the world. We’d love to tell you just how hard the service has hit the dirt, but even the Big Blue status page is intermittently unavailable: IBM cloud outage June 10 2020 IBM Cloud status page ... Click to enlarge Your humble hack has an IBM Cloud account, and when attempting to login …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Notes down globally

It has also taken out Notes globally for IBM users regardless of whether we use the web or Notes application. At least I don't have to put up with more emails from HR asking me 'How are we doing?' or "How are you feeling?'

Our account team told us if we need to email the customer to use a customer provided email (if you have one) but make sure no IBM Confidential material is transferred using said accounts.

1. RM Myers
      Happy

Re: Notes down globally

As a former long term Notes user suffer, that seems like a positive. YMMV

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Bloated Goats still a thing?

3. Joseph Haig

It has also taken out Notes globally for IBM users ...

... and productivity within IBM sky-rocketed?

2. elDog

Wunderground (weather site) "An IBM Business" is also down

I guess I'll have to look out my window or take a stroll. Bloody inconvenience.

3. BenDwire Silver badge
    Joke

IBM has not been responsive

The (Norwegian) Big Blue prefers kippin' on it's back! Remarkable, is'nit, squire? Lovely plumage!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IBM Cloud is not down. It's just tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk...

4. Teiwaz

Refresh for an hour

Your cloud is important to us. If you'd like to know more, press refresh for an hour or more.

How is sitting in front of your computer pressing refresh for an entire hour supposed to inform.

Will thetans or moronai be delivering the information telepathically?

Time for Homers typing Bird

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Hazard lights

When your car spontaneously halts in the middle of the intersection and catches fire, do you say it's down for maintenance?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Hazard lights

But if it only does that for 1minute every day that's still 99.95% uptime

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

nah, its just "failing to proceed"

3. Robert Grant

It's probably crashed. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

6. CujoDeSoque

I prefer to say that anyone paying for IBM services isn't a customer but a captive. Funny how it's just as true in a cloud.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM Cloud - a big Mist?

IBM Cloud, seems more like a Fog. Humid me a moment, dewy know why they Mist.

As a soon to be ex-IBMer I'm surprised anyone noticed it was down.

8. Why Not?

Time for an update

The cloud is just someone else's "poorly managed" computer.

9. Vulture@C64

Just goes to show that whatever the cause was, IBM do not have resilient architecture and systems, which is one of the key reasons businesses use cloud rather than on-prem.

I suspect the same is also true of Orible cloud, we're just waiting for the proof. We've had it with Azure.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>IBM do not have resilient architecture and systems

Which is very concerning, as one of the customer expectations with IBM cloud is that whilst you may pay a premium you would expect to get mainframe levels of reliability.

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Another win for Single Point Of Failure

I am always happy when I read these kinds of stories. I imagine the guy in the office who championed the transition to cloud, parroting the inevitable "always on" line that always fails. I imagine the looks he gets during an outage like this. Especially when nobody can work since nothing is available.

Now I get that networking at scale is a complicated business, especially since you have to also deal with security issues on top of everything else. Nonetheless, there seems to me to be a need for a bit more resiliency. The fact that IBM's cloud hit the ground seems to mean that there is something at the top that failed hard and took everything with it. That looks pretty much like a single point of failure from where I sit.

I don't know what it is, but it sure seems that a bit of redundancy would be a good thing.

11. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

fnarrr fnarrr fnarrr

store it in the cloud they said

it will be always available they said

but "they said" did not take into account network outages (like this one) or a break in your local fibre preventing you from accessing your preciouses files...

naaaaah, old school with on-prem is still king for now.

Sure, use cloud for backup or data retention... and hope that it will be online when you need to restore a file or whatever....

12. Just An Engineer

The knowing smirk...

I always get a knowing smirk when I tell people what I think of having everything, including the "Family Jewels", in the cloud. I always get the "but it is always on" and we "do not have to test resiliency" (my favorite), and the always popular, "we are in multiple zones and regions so we can be back up and running in minutes".

I always say really you need to prove it to my satisfaction.

They then try to old "but they tell us it is idiot proof".

I usually just say, that is impossible, since there is always a bigger idiot.

Just another arrow in the quiver for these discussions.

13. Patched Out

Time to roll out my acronym again

C.L.O.U.D. - Customer Loses Own Use of Data

14. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Linux

It's cloudy here too

And it's raining pretty persistently. However if I stay at home it's nice and dry. Is there perhaps a moral there?

15. PeterM42
    FAIL

Ah clouds.......

......those things that blow away......

OK for backup, but that's all.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BGP does it again

Looks like it was a BGP problem

https://status.aspera.io/incidents/t9r03x71dxkl

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BGP does it again

ahh, so its AT&T's fault, not IBM.

IBM should tell its customers to complain to IBM's network re-outsourcer directly, they'll probably have more success that way too!

17. fidodogbreath

The status page lists fifteen active events though offers almost no detail other than the admission that:

"Feces occurred."

18. ecofeco Silver badge

So...

How's that cloud thing workin for ya?

19. tygrus.au

What support?

If you have a problem, IBM can blame it on the last one leaving the office.

20. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    FAIL

Core business

Since IBM are trying really hard to have nothing to do with hardware, and be a Cloud&Services business, having one of your core products disappear must be embarrassing at least.

And quite possibly fatal - or at least steepen the dive.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like