back to article Saturn's largest satellite, Titan, is drifting away from its planet 100 times faster than previously thought

Titan, the only known moon in the Solar System with an atmosphere, is drifting away from Saturn at a rate a hundred times faster than previous estimates, according to the latest research published in Nature Astronomy on Monday. Previous studies suggested that Titan's orbit should be migrating only about 0.1 centimeters per …

1. janusng

I can and did leg pump a swing around the top of a swing set.

I have to object the phrase "We don't think Titan will escape, because eventually the resonance locking process won't be able to operate, just as you can't pump your legs hard enough to swing around the top of the swing set,” said Fuller.

I had done it a dozens times when I was a child. No, not on a chain one. Here is a video of someone else did it.

https://youtu.be/ivd1pIeTxrM

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: I can and did leg pump a swing around the top of a swing set.

Titan doesn't have a counterweight at the opposite side of Saturn to help.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can and did leg pump a swing around the top of a swing set.

Perma-cheerful Colin Furze made a really big one in his back yard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9uh-CyBMCs

I bet being his neighbour must be a right laugh.

2. OssianScotland
    Alien

That's no moon!

3. ThatOne Silver badge

Interesting

So, if you go back in time, how close to Saturn was Titan initially?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Interesting

Define "initially"…

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: Interesting

Why, "initially" as the closest it could possibly have been (without bad things happening) of course.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are we sure it is resonance ?

I saw this on Netflix and maybe it is actually Titan's inhabitants desperately moving their moon closer to sun to warm up ?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7605074/

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

I didn't know that anyone took the first episode of Space 1999 as inspiration...

2. Timbo

"maybe it is actually Titan's inhabitants desperately moving their moon closer to sun to warm up ?"

As Titan is in orbit around Saturn, it is highy unlikely that Titan would be moving closer to the Sun.

Titan might get 11 cm closer to the Sun (each year) IF apogee AND Titan eclipsing Saturn occured at the same time.

And when Saturn eclipses Titan, Titan would of course be getting FURTHER away from the Sun, by a whole 11 cm.

(One assumes it is the mean radius of Titans orbit that is increasing at 11 cm per year).

1. MCMLXV
        Headmaster

Occured

Huge downvote, especially since this is a tech site. It's occurred, ffs. I haven't had any coffee yet.

5. cam

11cm per year. Oh wow. That's 34 feet in 100 years. I guess we won't notice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like