back to article Have I Been Pwned breach report email pwned entire firm's helldesk ticket system

A hapless IT bod found the Have I Been Pwned service (HIBP) answering its own question in a way he really didn’t want – after a breach report including a SQL string KO’d his company’s helpdesk ticket system. A pseudonymous blogger posting under the name Matt published a tortured account of what happened when a breach …

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Now, tell us, Troy

How long had you been waiting for this to happen?

Obligatory xkcd: you know which one...

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Now, tell us, Troy

At least we know where little Bobby Tables got a job when he grew up...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You bastards! I was here first! ';) -- oh, well. I claim third place then.

2. robidy

Beat me to it :)

1. Allan George Dyer
          Headmaster

@robidy: Downvoted for using a colon instead of a semicolon. These details matter.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

If HIBP went with ':--oopsie then there may have been no problem.

I'm in two minds whether this incident is funny or very irresponsible. I suppose if it was my data deleted then I wouldn't be in doubt.

2. bpfh

And so we know that Bobby Tables is a campaign manager for HIBP...

3. Klimt's Beast Would
      Facepalm

Does Troy know Joy? My first thoughts were the song by Harry Nilsson which could start as:

The other day, I got an email from Troy,

He said 'you've been pawned,

Don't be someone else's Troy boy,'

Well I went SQL and things were fixed,

Now every time I think of Troy,

It makes me sad

It makes me... sad

https://youtu.be/H7v_v7xbagY

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

CorrectHorseStapleBattery?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's CorrectHorseBatteryStaple, you should at least try to get your wrong references right!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I gave you the correct passwords, not necessarily in the right order!

5. logicalextreme

There's also the obligatory Companies House entry, https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10542519

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, the one linked to in the linked article!

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Obligatory xkcd: you know which one..."

Er, no, I don't. Please can we have a link?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Are you really in "Today's Ten Thousand" people who learn something that we thought "everyone" knew?

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/327:_Exploits_of_a_Mom

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1053:_Ten_Thousand

(10000 is estimated from U.S. population and birth rate. In fact we should call it... 10000. Or how could we link to the comic?)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. fnusnu

The age-old exhortation rises to the fore once again: make sure you’re running the latest version of whatever software suite you’re relying on.

Yet putting this in the comments gets you massively downvoted for some stupid reason(s)

1. a_yank_lurker

Keeping the software up to date has been good practice for eons now. The only question is whether one should let most updates marinate for a couple of weeks to make sure there are regressions made. Of course those issues being actively exploited in the wild or are causing you grief for other reasons probably get updated more quickly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Mask? why?

Germane to the question is, did version 9.4.4 have the problem?

Oh, and _when_ for 9.4.4 and 9.4.5 and 9.4.6. Details, details...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

make sure you’re running the latest version...

Well, for bad software (e.g. where bugs aren't attended to), it's not enough.

For great software (e.g. where it's not riddled with security holes), it's not essential.

Choose wisely.

1. Daniel von Asmuth
        Trollface

Re: make sure you’re running the latest version...

Updating your software to the latest version could fix an old problem... or introduce a new one. Make sure you stay a few versions behind the majority to others will have encountered any problem you may have.

2. Glen 1
        Trollface

Re: make sure you’re running the latest version...

"For great software (e.g. where it's not riddled with security holes), it's not essential."

Wot, like OpenSSL?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No downvotes but maybe a dose of reality.

The path to upgrading software is rarely as smooth as it could be. Changes in licensing/maintenance costs causing your costs to spiral, cascading software dependencies for integrations or just vendors taking an age to release newer versions mean "running the latest version" quickly descends into supporting software ranging across 5-10 years. And then there's the appliances/IoT/IT systems that aren't IT's responsibility like security/BMS/SCADA systems. And I haven't even mentioned cuts to budgets...

Not that this appears to be the case in this instance - more a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it until it gets pwned like a chess set with only one type of piece...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The path to upgrading software is rarely as smooth as it could be

I mostly take the opinion that any software whose licence requires the exchange of money isn't worth paying for, especially those which rely on hellacious licensing manager servers in order to work.

Open source software is "standing on the shoulders of giants" put into practice, and we are all of us the better for it (and, yes, I do donate to my favourite OSS projects: just because it is free doesn't mean that it is not worth paying something for, if you can afford to).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

a chess set with only one type of piece...

like checkers?

4. not.known@this.address

Wait, what, that wasn't a request?

People don't like it when you point out they are to blame for their own misfortune. They need to have someone else as a scapegoat to salve their delicate little ego.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would say it is almost impossible for nearly everyone in a any reasonably sized organisation. I mean it's not just big software packages but firmware, drivers, packages, libraries, routers, switches, firewalls, wifi, controllers, system boards, iLOs, bioses, internal system webservers, third party maintained products, mobile devices, rarely connected laptops etc etc

Getting your main public facing systems takes time, energy, resources and disruption let alone everything else.

I'm just being a realist - running the very latest patches, software versions everywhere isn't easy despite understanding the risks and trying to mitigate them, even with quite advanced automated systems.

6. logicalextreme

I'd go one further and say make sure you're not running any version of a software suite that's got a bug like that in its history.

1. logicalextreme

Yes, I was being trite. Yes, awful bugs make it into the best of software. Yes, even from people who should know better (looking at you, Invoke-SqlCmd). But when something so earth-shatteringly basic that it's the subject of an infamous 13-year-old xkcd and has infused IT pop culture to the point that it's inspired joke company names and vehicle registration plates makes it into production software, you should be doing your due diligence and wondering what other security nightmares have made it through their code reviews.

3. G Mac
    Pint

Wow that is so meta

We need a new site called Have I Been Pwned Pwned.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Wow that is so meta

Have I been Have-I-been-pwned pwned?

1. logicalextreme

Re: Wow that is so meta

Have I Been Pwned²?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Checks GLPI code repo ... and yup, it's written in PHP.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Code that doesn't check for something that it should... is code that doesn't check for something that it should.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
      Boffin

Surely there must be a psych study on why not bothering to keep executable data and user data separated strongly correlates to a love of PHP. There are many languages allowing you to do it either way, but PHP is chosen.

3. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Linux

So if it was written in Perl (Other languages are available) it would suddenly be immune from programming errors?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> So if it was written in Perl (Other languages are available) it would suddenly be immune from programming errors?

Maybe. Perl has a very useful taint mode whereby you have to explicitly 'untaint' values received from external sources else they cause compiler warnings.

Sure it's easy to overcome if you wish, but that's the point - you chose to override it and added code to do so.

4. Warm Braw

To be fair, the problem is using a database API that requires a human-readable SQL command which your code has to construct so that the command interpreter can parse it back into the component parts you originally assembled. That's just asking for trouble and it's not really a PHP issue.

If you use PHP with Oracle, for example, you could at least use oci_bind_by_name to assign values to named parameters in a template SQL command without having to worry about quoting and escaping.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Alternatively don't forget that this is a problem that was "solved" over 20 years ago and to only use SQL parameters and not to insert the damn external data straight into an SQL statement. It doesn't matter what language is used to create the SQL programatically.

1. logicalextreme

But, but, we trust the input. But, but, it's "dynamic". But, but, the parametrisation code's too complex and people won't be able to read it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And if PHP was anywhere near fit for purpose it would have a decent core API for database interaction that uses bind variables. An API that wasn't specific to each databases engine. Perl for all it's faults ay least has a decent de-facto standard DB API that has an abstraction layer above each database engine specific library.

3. Tom 7

Where possible I've always used stored procedures as the only way for the 'users' to access the DB, Most DBs have fairly comprehensive security that means an admin can prevent users from doing anything unless specifically allowed.

5. Jonathan Richards 1
    Devil

Also an age-old observation:

HTML has NO PLACE in email. Icon refers ->

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Also an age-old observation:

It's the gift that keeps on giving. The annoying thing is that I've correspondents in my local history group that sometimes send mail that appears blank if the reader's set to plain text.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Even banks manage to do that. At best, it may say something like "we tried to send you an email. Click or copy and past the following link to see it".

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
          Facepalm

Even worse, I get email from one company (I would name and shame them, but I can't actually remember which one it is) where the pain text part says "You are using an outdated email package. Please update to something more modern to read our emails".

The html emails contain nothing that couldn't be achieved with plain text.

2. vtcodger Silver badge

"HTML has NO PLACE in email"

Of course not. When html email was "invented" about two decades ago, many folks pointed out that it was going to be a security nightmare. Sort of like teaching useful trades like gunsmithing, knife making and locksmithing to prison inmates. They were shouted down of course. HTML email is cute, possibly has a bit of utility in a few cases, and, what could possibly go wrong?

My concern is that in the broad scheme of things, HTML email is a minor contributor to the massive fragility of the "internet". We live in a world that is suffering severe economic dislocations from a disease pandemic that is really rather mild as such things go. I don't mean to trivialize COVID-19, but it's surely not going to, for example, wipe out half of humanity. But it's become a serious problem.

So, what is going to happen if/when electronic communications -- which we are becoming critically dependent upon -- collapses as a result of cyber-warfare, malicious activity, or the sheer mass of dubious design decisions like HTML email, Javascript, npm, etc? As far as I can see, there is no Plan A for dealing with such a contingency. Much less a Plan B.

Have a nice day folks. Party on!!!

1. seven of five

A simple "Now how could this have happened? Interesting..." taking 8888 and 4444 down for a couple of days will probably suffice. No malice needed.

1. Sanctimonious Prick
          Happy

@seven of five

"8888 and 4444"

Hmm... those numbers appear on a list i use at home, though only for about six weeks of the year.

Nothing wrong with using them, if only used for short periods of time.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

HTML email isn't seemingly responsible in this case. While it might let you more easily hide some text, it won't make an SQL injection happen if it wouldn't already do so. If you can embed the string somewhere in text, something printing that string from a database is just as vulnerable to a dev mistake. That wouldn't be hard to do; just include it in something that doesn't get read: "For more information, consult our privacy policy at https://www.ourcompany.com/q/znof/meozv9enao30z0daf0wq8t8f'; select * from data; 'ambkz94p010av8zpfp8g4372j9". Since HTML isn't allowed, this link would have to be a text URL, so it would be a common sight by users.

HTML in email can have some downsides, but most of the most worrying ones are already prevented--you can't send a script in one and expect it to be executed, for example. Most mail clients don't load remote content from messages, while some mailservers instead immediately fetch it when the message is received and then rewrite the message to refer to the local and untracked cache. A lot of HTML can also just be annoying by enabling massive messages that we don't really need or providing a method for the annoying mail designers to play with weird formatting, but those are not security risks.

I have little attachment to HTML in email, but let's be honest about what we can really fix by dropping it.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"A lot of HTML can also just be annoying by enabling massive messages that we don't really need or providing a method for the annoying mail designers to play with weird formatting, but those are not security risks."

Arguably the opposite, since you can be fairly sure that the content isn't worth reading and, with a bit of training, your anti-spam filter can learn this too.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Crowdstrike is one of the companies guilty of this. If you use old, simple, web-based interface to microsoft mail, their message hide the delete button in the interface when you view them, the bastards.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"enabling massive messages that we don't really need"

Such as the many, many lines of "legal disclaimer" added automatically to most business email address which get multiplied instead of stripped in the many replies in the chain.

I find the ones telling you to delete it if you received it in error particularly amusing since you don't even get to see the disclaimer until after you read and scrolled through the message itself. They probably have about as much legal authority as a shrink-wrapped EULA.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"HTML email" is just a file transfer protocol, like HTTP, together with a way of combining several such files in a single package, like TAR or ZIP. Run a sufficiently buggy client and you can have trouble with all of these.

Most normal human beings appreciate being able to properly format their communications, and include relevant non-text bits and bobs. When, for example, was the last time you received a letter in the post that looked like it had been banged out on an actual typewriter starting from blank paper? If you are happy to shut off 99% of the human race, by all means stick to plain text email. We are probably happier to be shut off from you.

If HTML email did not exist, someone would invent it and it would rapidly grow in popularity until only weirdos insisted on avoiding it. Oh wait, that's exactly what happened.

1. logicalextreme

Sort of. It's the very definition of finding a way to do something via a protocol that's utterly unsuited to it. SMTP's outdated and awful even without HTML attachments and base64-encoded images sellotaped onto it.

6. Blackjack Silver badge

Maybe... just maybe

All email clients should open emails as plaintext by default and be sandboxed.

Wouldn't that make them safer?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe... just maybe

Qubes takes this to the next level - you usually open emails in a different virtual machine. One that you usually dump once you've read them.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Please tell me more.

1. Glen 1

Qubes OS

The basic premise is that each app or set of apps is run in its own VM that can be spun up or deleted as you would a portable installation or git branch - with all the security bonuses a VM brings.

So start the email app from your menu, and the window that opens is in its own VM (as denoted by a different colour title bar). You can run from a fresh snapshot every time (with settings saved), or allow persistence, or allow disk access to a shared folder to save attachments. Or Not, as preferred.

The Networking stack in Qubes is literally a pfsense VM, just to give you an idea of the flexibility available.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Happy

Ooooooooooh, just now that I have my laptop walking penguins.

New research project started.............

Thanks for the info !!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Linux

uhm, running linux

2. Blackjack Silver badge

That seems fun but I still wants a mail client that opens everything as plaintext.

7. swm

It looks like the help desk software is to blame by not cleansing the ticket data. Fixing the source of the bad data is not a solution.

8. Drew Scriver

Nothing to do with HIBP...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell this has absolutely nothing to do with HIBP.

It's about an injection vulnerability in this helpdesk software that this guy's company chose to use - nothing more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing to do with HIBP...

I don't think that anyone suggested that HIBP was at error. It would actually seem like Troy did this on purpose as a joke for systems that didn't sanitise their inputs or at least a little geeky joke for those receiving it.

The whole story seems to suggest the helpdesk software is at fault.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Definitely. Doesn't matter the language, some developer created a query programatically rather than use parameters. An amateur mistake that's been repeated for years despite it being identified and "fixed" a couple of decades or so ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The very first paragraph in the linked article:

"I should say before we get started, the fault for this lies entirely with GLPI, I place no blame at the feet of haveibeenpwned.com or Troy Hunt for this issue. It’s all good fun! Concerning> Oh, for sure. You can’t help but laugh though. Obligatory XKCD."

9. logicalextreme

One of the best things I've seen this year

I'm really quite glad that this ended so amicably and not with Troy being sued. It doesn't seem like it would be too unlikely in certain litigious areas of the world, and could potentially not end well given a judge without any technical knowledge and/or sense of humour.

I got around Office 365 removing .ps1 file attachments recently by changing the file extension to something alone the lines of ".not-a-virus nyet, definitely not a virus" followed by the first two lines of the Russian national anthem in Cyrillic. Worked fine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One of the best things I've seen this year

logicalextreme,

"...by changing the file extension to something alone the lines of ".not-a-virus nyet, definitely not a virus" followed by the first two lines of the Russian national anthem in Cyrillic."

Товарищ, do you realise how many old 'Sleeper Agents' you have just woken up by that quoted sequence of characters!!!

:) ;)

1. logicalextreme

Re: One of the best things I've seen this year

No regrets. It was worth it for not having to deal with trying to send it via Skype. 10/10 would nyet again

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like