back to article Apps get bit animated: Android Studio 4.0 released with new Motion Editor

Google has released Android Studio 4.0, a massive update to its IDE for mobile app development, with features like an upgraded Layout Inspector, and the brand new Build Analyzer and motion editor. Android Studio is based on JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA, a popular Java IDE, and version 4.0 uses IDEA 2019.3.3, according to the …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Be annoyed, the country needs more noyds

> but developing for Android still has annoyances

Such as deadlines, bugs, managers, change requests and users?

1. iron Silver badge

Re: Be annoyed, the country needs more noyds

You forgot the biggest annoyance in Android development... Google.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Be annoyed, the country needs more noyds

It sounds a lot like a return to the old days of Visual Basic development work. It "works" but ....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Android Studio is free... of high quality

Oh how I laughed.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Android Studio is free... of high quality

Google is paying JetBrains…

3. iron Silver badge

Over a minute to launch? All the other IDEs are laughing at slow poke Android Studio.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Does it really matter though. I mean how many devs are popping their ide open and closed throughout the day? While working on a project most will leave it open permanently.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

This is Android Studio. The user doesn't need to close it. It closes itself.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

I didn't have a minute to launch, and I have a rather elderly i7-3770

It does have to download a lot of things to start, like gradle and other helper tools, so your internet connection has a big influence.

My big issue is the amount of shit that I have to download when I open a project I haven't worked on in a couple weeks. Google updates ALL of the tools/libraries like once a week, apparently, so it has to sit there with about a dozen "downloading..." one after another. So "update hell" is definitely a thing.

1. Tom 7

I developed a terminal allergy to gradle - it was like reinstalling the OS every time it got turned on. I can remember what it was in but it no longer exists on my system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like