back to article There's always a coronavirus angle these days: Honor intros new smartphone with built-in temperature sensor

Niche, China-exclusive smartphones seldom get a nod in The Reg's pages, but allow us to make an exception for Honor's latest flagship, the Play4 Pro. In addition to the usual specs, it comes with a seldom-found feature that feels particularly pertinent given the current pandemic. Nestled amid its camera array is an infrared …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Bad News

The temperature is rectal

1. Teiwaz

Re: Bad News

Sensible.

No we can tell phone zombies and annoying load phone conversation holder to shove their phones up their bums and it can be now classed as medical advice.

2. Only me!

Why not, when you travel there you get checked

China has had temperature checks at airports for years now, so having a temperature checking device with you, will allow you to check your self before getting to the airport and then been taken away somewhere. Instead you could self isolate, go and get a test, go to hospital.....whichever is most appropriate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Why not, when you travel there you get checked

Instead you could self isolate, go and get a test, go to hospital.....whichever is most appropriate.

Or just go outside, find some shade and cool off.

The correlation between core temperature and skin temperature is not very strong - and is particularly bad at the forehead, which seems to be the most popular site for this type of measurement. There is a large contribution to skin temperature from the environment - hence lots of false positives or negatives depending upon how long people have queued in the sun, the ambient temperature and air flow.

3. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

Is it really the first?

I remember playing with a Caterpillar phone that had a thermal camera in it in a shop well over a year ago. It was a seriously cool feature, although the rest of the phone didn't seem much cop (although it was one of those that's build you make you think that if you dropped it on a concrete floor you worried more about the damage to the floor than the phone - you know, a bit like an old Nokia).

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Is it really the first?

Yes I can't find the reg article but can find it on their site.

I can see a forum post but only a post for the budget version.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: Is it really the first?

That may or may not be different from an accurate temperature measurement device, you saw it I didn't. And the new product is a "consumer" model. The Caterpillar is a tough, workshop, "handy if you misplaced your hammer" model.

4. Danny 2

Way ahead of you - and now behind

I bought a Maplin remote thermometer fifteen years ago, and a Lidl Oximeter four years ago. Unfortunately in the past weeks my dad has thrown them out. Nobody tells you this about dementia, but never leave anything you value lying around. It's all 'clutter'. I think he's thrown out my teeth, again, but I'm not searching through the bins again - facemasks will suffice.

My dad just asked, "What is that co - that thing Boris had?"

"Covid-19?"

"Aye, and what is that other disease that starts with co?"

"Coronavirus?"

"Aye. What's the difference between them? If you catch one can you catch the other?"

I spent ten minutes explaining that Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS-Cov-2) is just one of several coronaviruses but this one causes a disease called Covid-19.

"I can't get my head around that. Are there three diseases? "

"No dad, just the one but it has three names and nobody minds which name any of us use"

https://xkcd.com/2275/

It's bin night tonight, highlight of my week. Sadly I'm being serious. Wee bit of exercise, get to nod at the neighbours. It's the closest I get to sex now.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Danny 2

Re: Way ahead of you - and now behind

You know, a wee bit of exercise and a polite nod, that sums up good enough sex for me even in my prime.

I have told this anecdote here before, so apologies to everyone else for repetition but this is just for Negative Charlie. As a tech I was made to sit with the engineers at lunch. Techs didn't seem to want me, engineers did or at least took pity on me. I am still figuring that out

So great guy, Senior Production Engineer, is pulling out his ginger hair on the lunch table. I don't know what I said, but I remember his reply perfectly.

"Aye, at your age sex is still fun. At my age it's just another household chore like emptying the bins"

5. doke

not thermal imaging

Too bad it's not a real thermal imaging camera. That would be useful for scanning my breaker panels at work, outlets, etc.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I'd rather like that function on my phone

Sometimes I wonder what the temperature is. I wouldn't mind being able to whip out the phone and find out.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: I'd rather like that function on my phone

I don't think it does that. An infrared sensor usually needs to measure the temperature of a specific object in my very limited experience. If you measure the temperature of something with sunlight on it or with an air vent near it, it won't reflect room temperature. Maybe it would work for items outside the paths of those things, but I'm not sure.

I wonder how tricky software support for that will be. I once had a phone with a temperature/humidity sensor in it (Samsung Galaxy Note 3 FYI), which was meant for room temperature. I didn't have much of a use for it and that was quite a good thing because I don't know how to use it. There wasn't any app I could find supporting the sensor because, as far as I can tell, only Samsung ever put them into phones and not that many. I did find an API in AOSP that was supposed to be used but I got bored before writing a basic reader app with it. I hope the manufacturer includes the app for this because there's probably nothing else that can read from the sensor.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Catphone S61 has a built-in FLIR camera. And you can buy add-on ones (for many hundreds of pounds) for android or iphone.

I have no uses for one. But still want one.

3. TrumpSlurp the Troll

I've been grumbling on and off for years that with all the built in sensors you get on a phone there is never a thermometer.

I assume one reason is isolating the sensor so battery temperature, pocket temperature etc. don't distort the reading. Protective cover could also cause issues.

Hmmmm....BT thermometer to talk to your phone?

7. Nifty Silver badge

So I wanted to locate the path of a plastic central heating pipe hidden behind plasterboard. Looked up thermal/IR detection cameras or detectors and found they cost £100s. So now wondering how this could've been cheaply incorporated into a phone.

8. Blackjack Silver badge

Carry a real thermometer instead

Some of them can be disinfected quite easily. For example I don't think this smartphone will resist hot water and soap.

1. crayon

Re: Carry a real thermometer instead

"For example I don't think this smartphone will resist hot water and soap."

Unless you're planning to use it rectally then it wouldn't need to.

9. Securitymoose

Or you could buy something useful for everyone

Like an infra-red digital thermometer locally for £22. That means you don't have to change your phone and share your data with everyone else.

https://thermometer.co.uk/21-infrared-thermometers

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like