back to article Xiaomi has such Huawei with words: Our two new phones have 'easy access' to Google apps... unlike that other guy

Xiaomi has formally launched its latest phones for the UK market, the Redmi Note 9 Series, with an interesting dig at fellow corporate citizen Huawei as it bids to become the successor to that company in the West. Just look at the side of the box. Either side, in fact. In a nod to Huawei's current woes with Donald Trump's US …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Both phones are loaded with Android 10 skinned with EMUI"

I hope not for Xiaomi's sake. MIUI might be a better bet for them.

2. Gordon 10
    Unhappy

Now if only they made a phone under 6"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Try and grab a Mi 9SE if you can find one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

FIFY

"There's also the usual gubbins from Xiaomi, including an IR blaster and a 3.5mm jack." and code that sends your data to China.

1. MrMerrymaker

Re: FIFY

Root it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FIFY

Latest Android One update rocked up on my Mi A2 Lite yesterday.

Along with destroying the homescreen it activated a dial home to send data to ....

[drum roll]

Qualcomm.

Hardware Feedback

QTR helps improve next generation device security, battery life and performance.

QTR uses cellular or WiFi to automatically send anonymous device info and statistics data to QTI

Data collected by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc in the U.S. and shared with its affiliates.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"easy access to the Google apps" is a little rich

Fellow owners would probably agree that "easy access to the Google apps" is a little rich when it's impossible* to remove Xiaomi's own web browser or even make another browser such as Chrome the default.

* Without rooting the phone and breaking most banking and payment apps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "easy access to the Google apps" is a little rich

Erm, you can change the default apps the easy way. This is a lie you've posted. Settings if your friend - do try to solve things, yeah, this is an IT site?

And yes rooting helps remove bloatware, but if my Mi9 is any indication you're totally wrong - apologies if you have a newer model and things have changed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: "easy access to the Google apps" is a little rich

>>when it's impossible* to remove Xiaomi's own web browser or even make another browser such as Chrome the default.

Total lie.

Jog on troll.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bootloader locked or not?

I didn't catch that part.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like