back to article If you bought a CRT monitor, TV 13+ years ago, hold on a little longer, there may be a small check for you

Nearly 13 years after the first court papers were submitted, a California class-action lawsuit over CRT monitor and TV pricing drags on. Monday's appeal of an amended settlement plan marked the 5,733rd filing in the case between consumers and companies that built and sold the cathode ray tube screens between 1995 and 2007. …

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Last two bits of article sum it up nicely

The lawyers see it as a long term investment. There will be few, if any, claimants to pay out after all this time, the lawyers have just been "ticking over" on this case while dealing with other cases. More for them from the pot as time goes one.

1. RM Myers

Re: Last two bits of article sum it up nicely

Actually not. The lawyer share will be determined by the court, and will not vary depending on the number of people who file claims (class members). The final settlement will typically include language on what happens to any left over funds. Usually these will be donated to charity, returned to the defendant companies, or distributed to the class members as a bonus. The judge will have to approve the settlement, including the left over funds clause.

Sorry for bringing up reality when you had a good rant going. If it makes you feel better, I agree that the lawyers will be the only real winners in the case. The class members will probably get a check so small that many won't even bother to cash it.

1. a_yank_lurker

Still, how do you prove that you bought a TV or CRT from one of the manufacturers during the period if you no longer have it or any paperwork relating to it. I bought several monitors during that time period and 1 TV (which I still have ironically). The monitors are long gone having been replaced the flat screen monitors over time. I probably threw out the paperwork manuals a long time ago as they were not needed.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Still, how do you prove that you bought a TV or CRT from one of the manufacturers during the period if you no longer have it or any paperwork relating to it.

If you bought it online the order details could still be there on any of the big stores. Amazon have my orders all the way back to 1999.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Amazon have my orders all the way back to 1999."

Checks calendar. Nope, that's less than 25 years ago.

2. Headley_Grange Silver badge

I know some very sad people who scan and save receipts for anything they bought that cost more than a few quid. I've They've also got credit card statements going back at least 20 years to support them.

1. Rokeykokey

Oi! Don't call me sad!

2. DJV Silver badge

I've got bank statements going back to 1974, which is when I first opened a bank account! The account number is still etched permanently in my brain even though the account itself is long gone. So, where on the sadness scale do I chart?

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

It's worse than the article states. I slimmed the latest filing and it's from a third group of lawyers who represent claimants that are not covered by the settlement and they want their cut too.

2. Barrie Shepherd

Oh for the day when there is a class action against lawyers for taking too long to agree settlement in a class action.

3. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Pint

The Last CRT Monitor I Bought

Came with the PC in 1997, all the rest have been LCD or salvaged from e-waste.

4. Nonymous Crowd Nerd

What's needed is a way to make time wasting cost the lawyers money

There needs to be a clause in a settlement like this to discourage the lawyers from keeping their snouts in the trough.

Perhaps it could be couched in terms of interest that's awarded to class recipients at 20% over base.

5. Paul Johnson 1
    Coat

Receipt?

Yes, you can have your refund. We just need to see the original sales receipt.

Oh dear, you didn't keep it. More fool you. You don't pass go, you don't collect $2.

6. MJI Silver badge

All my CRTs have been

Trinitrons.

Best TV tube I have come across.

And expensive for a reason.

1. Mike 16

Re: All my CRTs have been

Yep! Still have my 13inch SONY TV. Still use it as a monitor for the VCS and Atari800. And maybe teh Video Music if I come across it in some stratum of the shed.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still, the lawyers should make out well.

'twas ever thus.

Not for nothing has it been over 420 years since Will Shakespeare penned, "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still, the lawyers should make out well.

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

8. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

Articles of War

LaCie Electron22blueIV Monitors were glorious.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like