back to article Visual Studio Code finally arrives on ARM64 Windows. No, you haven't woken up in 2017, sadly. It's still 2020

Good news for those who have splashed the cash on Microsoft's flagship Surface Pro X – the software behemoth has emitted an ARM64 build of Visual Studio Code. #ARM people! It's time to try @code Insiders right now! Nightly builds starting today for Windows 10 on ARM, including background updates!🙋‍♂️I admit, this Surface Pro X …

1. Warm Braw

To those developers wondering if ...

... that pricey Surface Pro X was really worth all that precious cash

Still a no, then?

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Meh

If Node.js is supposed to make "cross platform" easier via JavaScript...

If Node.js is supposed to make "cross platform" easier via JavaScript, then WHY did it take so long for the internals running Node.js stuff to support ARM64?

I'm just a _bit_ confused, here. Java is cross-platform as long as there's a JVM. But we're talking SCRIPT here, which is interpretive. Just what hardware-dependent things are the Node.js and other supporting libs DOING that you can't just re-compile them for ARM64 and be done with it?

In my opinion, Micros~1 might as well JUST USE C/C++ and be done with this kind of "unexpected incompatibility". You could use it with wxWidgets, Qt, or GTK for cross-platform compatibility, too. Or, maybe fix MFC so that it SUPPORTS LINUX... I think that would be _AWESOME_ !!!

_SO_ many OTHER possible solutions, yet they chose something based on Node.js ...

1. Paradroid

Re: If Node.js is supposed to make "cross platform" easier via JavaScript...

Not node, electron. Which is essentially Chromium, so they were dependent on that being ported.

Even though the language is considered to be script it still needs a runtime

1. Maventi

Hasn't Chromium been running ARM64 for years though?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

"Hasn't Chromium been running ARM64 for years though?"

As far as I know, yes (especially for any Android devices that are arm64).

But I don't think Chromium is dependent on 'electron' which (I might point out) is most likely the thing that ultimately determined that VS code would use Node.js. And, as far as I can tell, Chromium is mostly C++ code (unless this changed since the last time I looked at it). Being that the library bottleneck (aka 'electron') uses Node.js, it's a core part of the problem, using 'Node.js' at all.

2. BananaPeal

probably much abstraction layer hackery to get everything to work right. why even is there an edge browser anymore?

2. BananaPeal

there is robot operating system running on node.js. the terminator that comes after you and yours will perhaps be running a node.js interpreter.

3. DrXym

Still not much use

Yay great I have a programmer's editor for a platform that nobody supports or cares about.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Yay, ARM64 support is finally here

Now we need to wait another year for the C/C++ extension to be ported.

5. Mage Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Oh, why do most people want Windows?

ARM is great. But it's irrelevant to Windows as the main reason to have windows is existing business x86 programs (mostly for business) or x86 games.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Oh, why do most people want Windows?

Well, x86/x64 on Win32.

6. J27

This is great news for the 3 people developing apps on ARM64 Windows who'd want to use VS Code...

I'm still not sold on Windows on ARM64 because the hardware makers don't seem sold on it. The only readily available ARM64 Windows system is the Surface X and Microsoft has proven many times that they're unable to kickstart new architecture support in Windows by building their own hardware. I'd love to be wrong here, but 3rd party ARM software on Windows is basically non-existant.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only way I'd want to live through 2017 again is if I woke up in January '17 and '16 had been a nightmare, and Bernie was about to be president. I'd settle for Hillary. But it's been over 3 years of neverending nightmare now, hopefully I'll live long enough to see the orange shitgibbon gone.

The death count here will probably hit 200k before that happens. I'm sick now, probably going to get tested Monday if it doesn't get worse, quarantining this weekend. I've got ok health insurance, many don't.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surface Pro X......surely someone's kidding here?

Just been ejected from a Windows 10 install......Microsoft wanted an active broadband connection, then an email address, and then sent an "authorisation code" to my landline.....so lots of PII slurping, and the DEMAND for a mobile phone number (so the authorisation text message would work)........all this because a Microsoft online account is MANDATORY for me to use my own equipment..........all this just last Thursday. To paraphrase Nike -- "Just don't do it!".

I abandoned the "factory install", reformatted the hard drive...........and installed another OS.

CODA: Reviews of my new machine (£400) say it's marginally useful on Windows 10......too cheap.....not the £1000+ required for a "powerful" Microsoft Surface. But in actual fact, used with the alternative OS it's a delight. No processing problems at all once Windows 10 is replaced by something less bloated. Why do people put up with huge costs AND PII slurping? Someone here will no doubt be able to explain.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surface Pro X......surely someone's kidding here?

You don't need to use a Microsoft Account to sign in to Windows 10.....There's an option to skip that and sign in with a local account instead but you must have thrown your toys out of the pram before noticing it I guess......Seen and used plenty of £300 - £550 machines that run Windows 10 just fine.

If you didn't get through the install because you mistakenly thought you needed a MS Account (they do make it tricky to spot the small link with the option, that's on them.....not bothering to read the full page is on you) how do you know Windows 10 doesn't run well on the device?

Out of interest what are the specs of the machine? A lot of tech reviewers talk out of their arse and think everybody needs a top spec i7 device to do anything, so I wouldn't 100% trust their assessment of how well a device will run Windows 10.

9. BananaPeal

so they could've had a macbook, but instead, these folks were like, "no i WANT ARM!?!?!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like