1. Steve Foster
    WTF?

New TLD redirect?

Visiting the UK ElReg (.co.uk), I'm suddenly being forcibly redirected to the US (.com) site instead (yes, yes, I know, .com isn't solely US, but YKWIM).

Please, *please*, *please* turn that back off.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: New TLD redirect?

Hi - don't worry, you're not missing any content. It's still the same site and articles.

It's a reflection of the fact that after 20+ years of publishing, we're reaching readers and advertisers in all parts of the world. We're still headquartered in the UK and still have the same core values: irreverent, independent, and investigative.

C.

1. A Nonny Moose
        Gimp

Except you broke my saved logins and cookie preferences.

And quite frankly, I don't WANT to visit theregister.com, I WANT to visit theregister.co.uk. I don't really care that they're same site underneath, I likes what I likes.

Why couldn't you just have both domains point to the same place without the redirect?

1. Marco Fontani

We did have both domains available for a while, as we were preparing for the switch-over - with "co uk" still being the canonical one.

Then, we made "dot com" the canonical one, and later on we started hard redirecting.

"co uk" is no more. Long live "com".

2. jake Silver badge

"And quite frankly, I don't WANT to visit theregister.com, I WANT to visit theregister.co.uk."

Pobrecito!

As the Great Bard his very own self put it, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

1. Gary 24

Agreed, just let people go to either theregister.co.uk or theregister.com it's a British publication, don't give in to the US rubbish... keep the .co.uk i hate the new redirect.

1. jake Silver badge

::picks jaw off floor::

Wow. Just wow. I'm speechless.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's not the same site. The .co.uk is part of the register's identity. Sad times.

1. jake Silver badge

A rose, by any other name ...

(You Brits sure are an insular lot, aren't you?)

2. Marco Fontani

Re: Smartphone app

We heard the same when we switched from ".com" to ".co.uk".

Odd.

1. Steve Foster
      Facepalm

Re: Smartphone app

If both are available, and working, why not just leave visitors on whichever one they chose to use? (especially when you've previously received negative feedback about forced redirection)

Even worse are those sites that then drop you on some sort of "pick your region" landing page, when the URL you typed expressly contained the relevant region in the first place!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon