back to article After all the excitement of Windows 10 2004, Insider builds go back to square one

It has been a busy seven days in Redmond. In addition to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update finally being released, we also saw Skype flashing nine tired lockdown faces at once, some Azure database tweaks and more. Microsoft celebrates the release of Windows 10 2004 with a new Insider Build As the long-awaited emission of the …

1. TheNix
    Pint

It wasn't Blankety Blank that was 3 x 3...

...it was Celebrity Squares (or in the US Hollywood Squares). Blankety Blank would have given you a 3 x 2 layout.

I don't disagree that Blankety Blank was a most superior entertainment.

1. Christopher Reeve's Horse

Re: It wasn't Blankety Blank that was 3 x 3...

Even Blankety Blank did baked in obsolescence, as all the winners of the famous Blankety Blank cheque book and pen will confirm.

2. poohbear

Can we please call it 20.04 not 2004 ....

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

No, we can't call it 2004 because Microsoft don't allow any other format that four digits for their version number and Microsoft, being the biggest fucking software company in the world, cannot for the life of them have worked out years ago, that that numbering scheme is only going to lead to problems. The next one is going to be 2009, 2010 or 2011. Brilliant, Microsoft, just brilliant!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah! Considering that they changed the numbering scheme to match the year in 1995!! Can't remember what version of Windows it was now......

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Going back to square 1?

The best 'square 1' for me would be to give up on all those tiles and revert to the Windows 7 UI

but they won't with their 'do it our way or not at all' attitude.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Going back to square 1?

Imagine the excitement that we would see if Microsoft announces that the next version of Windows would have the same UI as Windows 7 and be limited to the traditional level of performance without grabbing everyone's data! I'd pay them money for that.

1. Lorribot

Re: Going back to square 1?

Other OSes are freely (or very costly) available, some of which slurp less, some slurp more. Some look like various versions of Windows from 3.1 to Windows 7. Some will even make a stab at looking like DOS if you want to go that far.

Take your pick, I am sure you can find one that fufils your needs. You could even install a copy of Windows 7.

If you really hate windows 10 make the break to something else. No one is forcing you to stay.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like