back to article 26 million logins believed to be stolen from LiveJournal in 2017 pop up on hacker forum

Russian-owned blogging service LiveJournal has reportedly suffered a hack affecting 26 million user accounts. According to the reliable Troy Hunt's Have I Been Pwned? service, the incident occurred at some point in 2017. One year later a forked spinoff of LiveJournal called Dreamwidth began noticing credential-stuffing attacks …

1. MortimerTheCat

Owning my own domains, I have a unique Email for every site I sign up to. My livejournal@ user name was reported to me today via haveibeenpwned.com so definitely it is the livejournal user database. I started receiving spam for that address two weeks ago, from a Vietnamese mail server. I am never sure who I can tell.

2. STrRedWolf

I'm good. I moved out from LiveJournal when they got picked up by a Russian company with government ties and nuked the account. They can't hack what's not there anymore.

1. J. Cook Silver badge
      Go

FWIW, Dreamwidth is a much better place to host a journal that's Not FailBook. The only thing in common between the two was the source code, which DW has since (heavily) improved upon in the last 11 years or so.

Bias: I'm a seed account holder, and I've met Denise in person. (She's cool.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon