back to article Airline-chasing lawyers leap on Easyjet for £18bn after 9m folks' data, itineraries nicked

A law firm that is already chasing British Airways now claims it is suing Easyjet for up to £18bn, intending to take a modest £5.4bn cut for itself, after nine million people's data was stolen from the airline's servers. The no-win-no-fee firm, PGMBM, claimed in a statement today to have filed a case in London's High Court …

1. Not Enough Coffee

In the States, if you don't want to make a lawyer even richer, it'd be better to use a small claims court.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Sure, but the aim is to make the airline HURT, so it's rather discouraged from tossing your personal data out with the trash.

Lawyers are just the weapon.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

18 billion and a year out of business might hurt so much they fold.

Wouldn't be sad to see the back of the inventers of No Class travel.

AC because the buggers took legal action over me calling them "Sleazyjet" and reporting facts on the interwebs.

1. robidy

Sorry to hear that but suing people to force bankrupcy is never a good idea.

Prevention is always better than cure.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah but when airlines fold, other organisations step in to buy up the assets and start an even shittier service.

Crap airlines never really go away, they just get scooped up by another dickhead.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Considering how many Easyjet customers (including me) have vouchers due to cancellations, this sort of lawsuit doesn't seem to benefit anyone. Landing EJ with a bill like that might just push them over the edge into bankruptcy, and everyone loses.

My personal info was affected by the breach, and some scammers now have details of flights that I didn't take, and a one-shot email address that is only used for EJ. It's mildly annoying, and I hope the ICO delivers a suitable smack on the wrist, but personally I have no desire to make lawyers rich over it. I'd prefer EJ to stay in business.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

this sort of lawsuit doesn't seem to benefit anyone.

oh, but it does, I'm pretty sure those brave legal eages, aka "Airline-chasing lawyers" have already made sure that WHATEVER happens, they come out better off than before. Unless, correct me if I'm wrong, they do it (rinse, repeat) because they feel a moral obligation to fight the injustice inflicted on innocent people wronged by this vile corporate airline (rinse, repeat)?

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Re: this sort of lawsuit doesn't seem to benefit anyone.

Let's say they staff up with a £50 million unit dedicated to this lawsuit. They would have to work on it for over a century to justify their obscene fee.

As the Bard wrote: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

They also have your address and phone number.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

They also have your address and phone number.

Not according to the email I got from easyJet: "name, email address, and travel details ... information including where you were travelling from and to, your departure date, booking reference number, the booking date and the value of the booking were accessed", but no passport or credit card details.

Still, my address and phone number are public information anyway.

Like I say, annoying, but I wouldn't want to see them bankrupted for it.

3. jonha
    Go

I do hate lawyers...

... but I even more hate people who, despite taking security so utterly seriously, fall so easily for "highly sophisticated hackers".

So AFAIC the lawyers should go for it.

And if EasyJet goes under, so be it. These guys have to learn the hard way, it seems.

1. Chris G

Re: I do hate lawyers...

Personally, I would prefer the lawyers to go under and EasyJet to learn from it's mistakes.

I prefer easyJet to the Irish lot and putting easyJet at risk would only make the paddies bigger and stronger.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I do hate lawyers...

I've always considered Easyjet to be a low-cost airline, and Aer O'Flot to be a cheap airline. Big difference.

4. TimMaher Silver badge
    Angel

Better call Saul. NETS

Nothing else to say.

It’s fun to invent acronyms.

5. FordPrefect

Hmm arent most airlines at this point basically insolvent anyway ?

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Virgin on insolvency any way...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Success

It would be good to know how they faired with BA as part of the reporting. I assume no verdict yet on that one?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like