back to article Galaxy S20 security is already old hat as Samsung launches new safety silicon

Samsung will launch a new standalone turnkey security chip to protect mobile devices, the company announced today. The chip, which has the said-once-never-forgotten name "S3FV9RR" – aka the Mobile SE Guardian 4 – is a follow-up to the dedicated security silicon baked into the Galaxy S20 smartphone series launched in February …

1. Pete 39

Repairs

Or perhaps they want to stop repairs other than at official Samsung shops, and then only for a short while.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

The question is...

has it got the official '"5 eyes approved" backdoors now required by "free" governments.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: The question is...

Not just "5 eyes". There's the China-required anti-terrorism module and the Russia-recommended doctrinal purity code. The EU-approved module will be coming once the spec is agreed to some time in 2030.

1. DCdave
        Big Brother

Re: The question is...

2030? That's the provisional spec to be sent out for further consultation, I think you'll find...

3. a_mu

Anoonymous

Its also a great way to positively identify a device / person holding it,

Who needs an ID card,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Anoonymous

Why, a burner phone remains a burner phone: They might positively identify the phone, but nothing changes as long as they don't know who it belongs to.

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Re: Anoonymous

"as long as they don't know who it belongs to"

It belongs to the individual whose biometric signature locked away inside matches.

[Hides chopped off digit of original owner as authorities close in.]

4. A random security guy

A chip helps but doesn't make something secure

How many devices have ARM's TrustZone? And how many actually use them? And how many devices actually inject keys into the devices? And which software actually uses the processors?

The secure element that Samsung is making needs to be USED properly. I'll believe it when I see it.

1. Brian Miller

Re: A chip helps but doesn't make something secure

The ARM TrustZone is a joke, and it's a rather bad one. If Samsung has implemented their cryptography properly, and if the firmware and OS use it properly, then it goes a long way towards eliminating a lot of threats. Positive identification of a phone really isn't that big of a deal. The big deal is to keep malevolent code from running on the device.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see a Sci-Fi film themed advert here

Mobile SE Guardian of the Galaxy... 4!

:-D

6. jake Silver badge

"we expect our connected devices, such as smart phones or tablets, to be highly secure"

Who is "we", Kemosabe?

There is no such thing as a portable secure device. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

1. Charles 9

IS it? Why not provide some Turing-style proof of this so we can just declare that mobile security is an oxymoron?

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Unbreakable

Samsung has upgraded their sieve of security from wire to heavy gauge stainless steel.

8. gzgweilo

I guess even less chances of "rooting"

"and secure boot features. When a bootloader initiates, the chip initiates a chain of trust sequence to validate each components' firmware."

9. EnviableOne

another marketing feautre

to get the PHB to want everyone to have the Note 20

10. the Jim bloke
    Mushroom

How many failed login attempts

..before it explode in a ball of flame?

Samsung have some prior art here

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like