back to article China to slice internet connection costs for locals as part of plan to rebound from recent unpleasantness

China will move to cut the cost of internet connections for local companies as part of its post-pandemic push to restore its economy. News of the cuts came as Premier Li Keqiang addressed China’s National People's Congress, the nation’s equivalent to a Parliament. The Congress is, however, rather different from other …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    IT Angle

Premier Li's statement is reasonable, at this point we simply don't know what the world will look like in the future.

I expect that the US will initially rave about this as a conspiracy and then follow the same course, even expanding internet accessibility to allow poor people to work from home and their kids to "attend school" from home too. This will be touted as a "Great Benefit For America" but will edge the country back to the days of segregation.

2. NightFox

This is going to blow the minds of the 5G/Covid conspiracy theorists

1. Thomas Steven 1

Nope

5G/Covid conspiracy theorists don't have 'minds' to speak of, theirs have all been irradiated away by 3G and 4G signals already.

1. P. Lee
        Alien

Re: Nope

That's what THEY want you to think!

3. RichardEM

What the US and Europe need to do

Everyone seems to be concentrating on 5G, but I would like to see a different course taken.

I would propose that within the USA, Canada and the EU that every Home and Office have a minimum connection speed to the desktop of 1Mb within the next 18-24 months.

Why do this? Well let us make the assumption that this is not the last time we have to school, work, and have to stay at home for general health reasons. It would be wise to prepare for that eventuality. Also as at home activities of all types become more prevalent we will need to have more capability at the desktop and the backbone.

The above is only step one. 36-48 months, from now, we should have the capability to provide 10Mb to those same desktops because people will require better and more robust connections as they integrate it more and more into their lives.

1. P. Lee

Re: What the US and Europe need to do

In Oz 5G is getting attention from the telcos because the government pretty much nationalised their last-mile copper networks. 5G is the telco revenge in getting their customers back directly onto their networks, bypassing the national broadband network.

It isn't bad, but no telco appears to provide public addresses on wireless systems. I take issue with that.

2. teknopaul

Re: What the US and Europe need to do

1mb? I need 100 mb to do any real remote work.

Where are you writing this from that 1mb is not already available?

4. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Go

Half-Wit Muttonheads

The Congress is, however, rather different from other Parliaments in that it sits for just two weeks a year and even those sittings don’t feature a lot of debate.

For Britain this schedule would be ideal if they cut the sitting in half and held it over Christmas.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like