back to article COVID-19 sparks new wearables to push the pandemic away

COVID-19 is spurring new types of wearable hardware. Exhibit A: a startup named Nodle has cooked up a “smart wearable” that bakes the third-party contact-tracing the “Whisper tracing protocol” and Bluetooth into a device said to be wearable as a necklace or clipped onto your garments. Bluetooth lets the device detect if it is …

1. Dr_N

Buzzer?

If social distancing isn't respected after the initial buzzer warning, does it go into high voltage shock mode?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: Buzzer?

But won't it get confused if I'm carrying my Osman?

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Coat

Hollywood has the answer

Bluetooth lets the device detect if it is within six feet of another, at which point it administers a buzz to remind wearers that social distancing is a fine idea.

Something additional to "a buzz" would be an exploding neck collar. If that doesn't enforce social distancing I don't know what will.

The one which might have a 'joke icon' in the pocket ->

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hollywood has the answer

A reverse action "Wedlock"? (From the film of the same name.) Wouldn't that just spread the virus in a shower of red mist?

3. Chris G

Antisocial distancing

I am about to begin a Kickstarter for a new device that can be built into a hat, using a combination of Lidar, Bluetooth and short range radar at 24 and 79 Ghz, it can detect close proximity humans to within a millimetre.

At anything less than 1825 millimetres a small bioreactor kicks in and releases a measured amount of pungent methane that activates smell receptors in the encroaching individual, thus, driving them beyond the minimal acceptable distance of 1828.6 mm.

Being hat mounted allows easy 360° surveillance of potential enchroachees. Options for weaponisation are in the pipeline.

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Antisocial distancing

Does the hat have a sign on it saying "If you can smell my farts you're too close!"?

And wouldn't this hat be dangerous around naked flames?!? -------------->

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

Just make it a fedora and you don't need to add anything, it's already off-putting.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Coat

I'd rather wear a Fedora than a baseball cap turned around the wrong way. In fact I'd rather wear a Fedora than any baseball cap unless I was actually playing baseball that is...

Mines the MCC Blazer with white had in the pocket.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>>I'd rather wear a Fedora than a baseball cap turned around the wrong way.

Fedora, crevette[sic], backwards cap. There is no gradation of "looking a tool."

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Blockchain, blinkenlichten and comes in October

So, the Noodle (sorry, that's how I write it) will need 128GB of SD storage to manage its blockchain - that it will have to synchronize somehow - it has bloody LED lights that you don't see because it's clipped on your shirt pocket, and it will be available when the pandemic is over. Or restarting, we'll see.

Now tell me, who is managing this blockchain thing, what server is it going to call for updates and what security measures are included ?

Frankly, I have the feeling that the company making this is going to fold if that's the only product they have.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: if that's the only product they have.

thry'll be like a gazillion other startups in that they are hoping that nice big conglomerate comes along and buys them up before their startup run out of cash.

[sign of the times I'm afraid]

1. hoopsa

Re: if that's the only product they have.

That's why they've included 'Blockchain' in their product. That word is catnip to stupid conglomerates (or it has been, I feel they may have missed the boat)

2. Danny Boyd

Re: Blockchain, blinkenlichten and comes in October

Noodle and blockchain is one gadget, 128 GB and synchronization - another.

5. ItsMeDammit
    Alert

Lightsabers.

They must be about 2m long, right ?

Someone please bring those into reality.

1. Zimmer
      Go

Re: Lightsabers.

... and mount the lightsabre on a rotating frame on your fedora.. Bob's your whatsit.

2. Patched Out

Electric cattle prod with extension handle works for me.

1. Chris G

A damned good curry with lashings of onion bhajis on the side wirks for me, with the added advantage of being hands free.

6. Cederic Silver badge

128GB of memory

That's a lot of memory, but how much storage do they have?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only one who spotted

the bit about number plates?

"can also capture video, sync it with the bodycams and recognise number plates into the bargain"

So the 12-hour police bodycam autosyncs with a device in the car to read number plates? Which the in-car device is already doing with its own cameras, and this just adds more surveillance? Has anybody considered that there might, possibly, maybe, be some little minor privacy implications to recording every number plate (and presumably) location that the officer could possibly have seen, while both in and out of his car?

8. kernel_panic

Pointless...

Unless it syncs up to play a MIDI version of Axel F when 5 or more people get within 6ft of each other

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like