back to article Vodafone woes far from over for Xiaomi Mi 9 owners amid complaints of leaky batteries and voicemails in Romanian

Efforts to rectify Xiaomi Mi 9 users losing the ability to connect to the cellular network after a Vodafone-issued patch have had mixed results, with some punters able to use their phones as normal but others suffering weird side effects. "My phone now detects the SIM but won't connect to the network," said Tim Allen, the Reg- …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

At what point

Do phone service providers realise that people probably neither need nor want 'brand differentiation'; and may indeed ask themselves why, for example, a given network inhibits functionality that other networks might allow?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    WTF?

Great

A "correction" that changes the interface language.

Could someone please explain how that is possible ?

How can you write a bugfix that touches on the interface language ?

I get that connection issues can be a trifle complicated to deal with, but how do you spill over on interface settings ?

1. donk1

Re: Great

"changed to another language: Spanish or Romanian"

So the testers are in a Spanish speaking country/Romania and an override used in testing was not reset before shipping?

LOL

3. tip pc Silver badge

Why is any of this Vodafones issue

I'm not an Android user, but why has a phone update caused an issue for users on Vodafone? Is the update bespoke for Vodafone, is that still a thing?

I had a Nokia phone that i couldn't update as Orange hadn't approved the update. Was my last Nokia phone and last phone locked into a network.

Are Sim only users also impacted?

Is this all Xiaomi Mi9 users or just those who use Vodafone (PayG, Sim Only, etc)?

1. MrMerrymaker

Re: Why is any of this Vodafones issue

Did you even read the article?

I have a Mi9 and it's perfect.

This is a Vodafone package issue.

4. Tromos

Compensation?

"...automatically applied a compensation credit to affected customers' accounts to cover the time they couldn't connect to our network."

This isn't compensation. It is more like a refund for services paid for but not received. Not even that, as there is no cash back, just credit. Compensation would involve considerably more to make up for the stress, the time and effort spent to report a problem and get a fix, plus something for being deprived of an essential service.

Should I ever have to switch from my current mobile service, Voda have just moved from last place in the list I'd consider to off the list entirely.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like