back to article We really doing this again? Rumour has it that Apple is nearly finished developing augmented-reality glasses

The word on the street is that Apple is developing new augmented-reality glasses, with the work at an advanced stage. Prototypes, we're told, have been made and Cupertino is aiming for a 2021/2022 release. There's also a name: Apple Glass. The latest rumblings come from Jon Prosser, who has carved a name for himself with his ( …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

John Prosser?

Now there's someone you'd believe if there's a rumour about a new bypass being built.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: John Prosser?

So you're suggesting that Apple Glass will actually be Joo Janta Peril Sensitive glasses?

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Have an upvote for the Douglas Adams reference.

2. TeeCee Gold badge

But they're AR glasses, you have to build AR glasses.

2. RockBurner

I'm going to hold off for the contact-lens version.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting for someone to develop the sunglasses from They Live.

1. macjules
      Gimp

Facebook are probably working on it.

It is going to be the ultimate Fanboi dilemma. While on your iPad the phone rings: do you answer it via the iPad, your phone, your watch or via your glasses?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

don't forget your smart speaker can be voice enabled ;-)

4. Warm Braw

If Apple is ... developing augmented-reality glasses...

... it's presumably to help you appreciate their augmented-reality price tickets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: If Apple is ... developing augmented-reality glasses...

And identify when you're holding your iThing wrong.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: If Apple is ... developing augmented-reality glasses...

It's to help you see the Apple Reality Distortion Field ™ in the same way they see it.

5. macjules
    Coat

It's commonly found on driverless cars, where it helps identify potential obstacles and dangers.

Except with Tesla, where it helps identify potential obstacles and dangers and then accelerates into them.

Look forward to the "Should have gone to iSpecsavers" comments.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I really doubt they'd call it "Apple Glass"

And wouldn't even if Google Glass had never happened. I'll bet that's a placeholder name until the product is ready enough for the marketing people to have a look and see what the actual branding will be.

I remember reading articles where the author claimed to have the inside scoop on what the iPad was going to be called. Not a one of them got it right, not even the "pad" part (some of them got the "i" right though)

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: I really doubt they'd call it "Apple Glass"

I had big money wagered on the larger iPad Pro being named "MaxiPad". Can't understand why it wasn't.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thinking about it more I think Apple would choose a name that's more about how it is used than what it is, something with "view" or "look" or "eyes" or something like that in the name. I mean, what about the name "AirPod" suggests that they are earphones? But the "air" does hint at its wirelessness. That's how they would name AR glasses, a name that suggests what it does not what it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So... iEyes then?

I’d have to agree that’s a goodun.

1. BebopWeBop

Small furry mammals might disagree and sue....

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well one of the rumors says it will support prescription lens and such so maybe it is sold as a "frame" like the frames you buy from your optician, only with more features. So maybe it is Apple Frame, or iFrame? Lots of possibilities, but pretty sure iEyes is not one of them :)

2. EnviableOne

iSpecs

has to bee

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd go for Apple Goggle. Synonym of glasses and close enough to Google to remind them about Glass.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, if they called it the apple glass, you could power it with apple juice...

7. quattroprorocked

Blind people?

Would LIDAR glasses that fed a haptic or ear device provide effective navigation for blind people?

1. timrowledge

Re: Blind people?

Potentially a very good assist device, yes. And conversely an ability to display visual info to deaf people could make things much safer.

8. Circadian
    Devil

Name?

Surprised it’s not called an iGlass (or, in honour of the Google nickname, maybe the iHole).

1. hoopsa

Re: Name?

Shurely 'iSight'

1. Woza
        Coat

When you trip over because the AR has obscured the pavement in front of you: iFell.

2. Neoc

Googled it: too many companies around the world including an Australian mob which markets "Intelligent Glass" (a.k.a. iGlass). Apple would need to spend too much money (i.e. *any* money) buying out the rights for the name around the world. And suing would take too long. Much easier to name it something else. iSight is nice, if Apple ever decides to re-purpose it.

3. Tim99 Silver badge
      Big Brother

Thanks for the reminder: Glassholes indeed...

4. Psmo

iForAnEye?

9. Wade Burchette

Pricing

"Apple is reportedly aiming for a $499 price tag, plus the cost of prescription lenses."

This being Apple, you will not be able to go to your local optometrist and get the prescription lens. You will have to get iPrescription lens at your local genius bar. And it will be a bargain at only $999, each.

1. EnviableOne

Re: Pricing

thats cheap for my lenses, but i'm nigh on blind without them ....

10. D@v3

iSight

wasn't that the name of the old integrated web cams in early macbooks and iMacs?

11. Mahhn

games and some biz

it has great potential for video games ( Final Fantasy seeing spirits)

maybe for military/police/criminals (seeing through drones cameras)

but for the average user on the street, it's just one more excuse to walk into parking meters and fountains.

I would love to play a FPS game with them, but not for $1000, or even half of that. Real life is still much cooler.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like