back to article Microsoft promises big things for Edge... and they'll be ready for folks some time before universe's heat death

Four months after Microsoft launched a renovated version of its Edge browser - sitting atop the open-source Chromium project - the Windows goliath has honed Edge further, just in time for its Build 2020 developer conference. The Build bash is virtual this year, owing to the coronavirus pandemic, and some of the Edge-related …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"what Edge really needs is more users"

Yeah, well, good luck on that.

Honestly, even if Edge admits NoScript and uBlock Origin, I still won't use it. It brings nothing to me.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: "what Edge really needs is more users"

Just run updates on a bunch of Win10 PC's today, after installing "New Microsoft Edge" as the default browser, I was surprised by the number of other applications that still defaulted to using IE (eg. Teamviewer) to access their support pages.

Aside: I love the fact that whilst Win7 might have gone end of life a few months back, you can download new Edge for Win7.

2. Persona

Re: "what Edge really needs is more users"

I've been using the new Edge browser for a couple of months. It works fine. I particularly like the immersive reader that you can activate from the URL bar or with F9.

2. ovation1357

There's not a snowdrop's chance in hell of me ever using a Microsoft browser. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

After the misery they've inflicted on web developers over the years through all the incarnations of Internet Explorer and their total failure to follow even the most basic standards (here's looking at you, broken box model!) there is simply no way I'm willing to give them another chance.

To be honest they could make it into the best browser that ever existed (hint: they won't) and I still wouldn't use it because it's got their name associated with it and they're not to be trusted: A wolf in sheep's clothing perhaps?

Best of luck to them persuading non-windows users to use it.

#pointless

1. IneptAdept

So who do you use

1. ovation1357

I've been running Linux since 2007 (Ubuntu with a brief period on Mint) - so I'm already largely free from Microsoft. On very rare occasions I fire up an old copy of Office 2010 under WINE if someone sends me a file that won't work with LibreOffice.

Browser-wise I mainly use Firefox these days with Chromium for testing and Vivaldi on a work machine (it's a pretty good Chromium based browser).

I still lament the Opera browser of old, before they abandoned it and switched to being yet another reskinned chromium. Personally I'm not a fan of Chromium in general, Firefox isn't perfect but it's bearable. Given that I can already choose between fully fledged Google Chrome, 'pure' Chromium or one of many decent spin-offs based on it, Microsoft Edge is right at the bottom of the pile.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

You do realise it just yet another Chromium don't you?

1. ovation1357

Totally. Which is probably also why they're able to bring out a Linux version.

I think it's a sad situation that most of the browser 'choices' are just the same core browser dressed up in a fancy skin.

3. MrMerrymaker

Microsoft promising big things

At least they're not promising good things, as that'd be untrue.

4. MrWibble

"the integration, when enabled, produces Pinterest suggestions at the bottom of a collection."

Ads, then. Doe anyone, ever want to see anything from Pinterest?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like