back to article Apple's MagicPairing for Bluetooth fails to enchant after mischief-making bugs found hiding in the stack

Apple's proprietary approach to securing Bluetooth peripherals, known as MagicPairing, has some benefits, but not magical enough to make vulnerabilities vanish. Researchers from TU Darmstadt in Germany examined the MagicPairing protocol and found that its three implementations – in iOS, macOS, and RTKit – contain ten disclosed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

iLaugh

Given that "Apple's implementation of MagicPairing still has problems, though not particularly serious ones" I can't get too worked up.

OTOH, as a name MagicPairing is as ridiculous as Genius Bar.

And the misspelled code implies that nobody has time to check anything before the fixed in stone product release date. It's no wonder we're seeing more and more issues from these magic geniuses.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

MagicPairing adds Apple's iCloud service into the equation. It generates fresh permanent keys based on user-specific iCloud keys every session, a security improvement over permanent keys that remain unchanged. It does so, the researches explain, using a symmetric ratcheting algorithm and authenticated encryption.

So is that more secure or just adding a lot of unnecessary complication to the process of pairing some headphones?

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

It's primarily for convenience. Once an Apple Bluetooth device using this protocol is paired to another, it's automatically paired to every device which uses the same iCloud account. So you pair your AirPods once to your iPhone, then they are automatically paired with your Mac, iPad and any other device signed in to your iCloud account and can seamlessly switch between these without being reconnected or repaired.

It also in theory allows for devices to be locked to an iCloud account - so stolen AirPods or Apple Pencils could not be used on devices associated with another account without being unlocked first.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Whenever I have some BT headphones within range of more than one paired device with their BT on, it's pot luck which one they connect to.

So forcing pairing with every Apple device you have doesn't sound like a feature I want, although I'm sure Apple have done something Magic so connecting is better too.

Pairing != Connecting. MagicPaired devices will connect automatically to whichever device they were last connected, and appear pre-paired in the Bluetooth menus of all other devices on the same iCloud account. They can then be connected with a single click/tap from that device, which then becomes the active connection. It's actually rather well implemented.

3. Tim99 Silver badge
    Trollface

So

The misspellings are because those coders are twenty-somethings who have received the benefits of modern education systems? Some of whom could have English as a second language (although it's quite possible their spelling may be better)? The "checking" might be done by a thirty-something with a similar education who has had longer to develop bad habits?

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: So

Yes indeed. Just see how many commentards here use "of" when they mean "'ve".

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Headmaster

20 years ago

We were sold a VB log on script when we moved to AD. Is it Elementary or Elementry for a school? Spilleng misteaks we're rampent....

Re: 20 years ago

"Is it Elementary or Elementry for a school? Spilleng misteaks we're rampent"

That made my eyes bleed

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So, several versions of badly written code

Code that still works, but has minor flaws in it.

Well I don't care that they are minor flaws. When I hand over my code to the customer, if he finds some "minor flaw" in it you can bet I'm getting my sorry ass back in the saddle lickety-split and I'm correcting that flaw right damn NOW.

Of course, the big difference is that I depend on my customer's satisfaction to get paid, whereas those three guys obviously didn't.

1. O RLY

Re: So, several versions of badly written code

Is there code that is flawless? I've certainly never written it for anything but a "hello, world" script.

Re: So, several versions of badly written code

Flawless code only means they haven't found any bugs. Yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like