back to article Donald Trump extends ban on Huawei, ZTE telecoms kit in US companies to May 2021

President Donald Trump has extended his executive order banning US companies from using or buying telecoms equipment from Chinese manufacturers Huawei and ZTE for another year. He also extended an exemption allowing American organizations to continue doing business with the two Chinese vendors, such as supplying parts and …

1. Warm Braw

5G technology included in the latest COVID-19 coroanvirus relief bill

Those conspiracy theorists were right - there is a link!

1. seven of five

Re: 5G technology included in the latest COVID-19 coroanvirus relief bill

If 5G is included in the relief bill, wouldn t that make it part of the relief?

edit: Ah, all part of the cover up, silly me...

1. You aint sin me, roit
        Trollface

The virus came from China, so it must spread by Chinese 5G. Look at all the outbreak hotspots in the US... covered by Chinese 5G and Chinese telcos.

Good ole US tech kills the virus, that's why the US needs its own equipment. Taxpayer funds must be made available for 'patriotic' companies.

You love your country don't you citizen?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Maybe, but just not as much as the people in charge of the country love money...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Ah, that old chestnut.

"security interests have been warning for over a year that Huawei Cisco and other Chinese US corporations are susceptible to governmental interference from Beijing Washington"

And, with the Cloud Act, it is happening every day.

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: Ah, that old chestnut.

So it is really just a question of which countries you want to allow to overtly monitor your data and which you want put in the covert group...

because of course they are all doing it to some extent

1. jelabarre59

So it is really just a question of which countries you want to allow to overtly monitor your data and which you want put in the covert group...

Maybe we need some Marx-ist country like Freedonia?

2. Cynic_999

Yup - and the fact is that it is far more likely that your own government will use information against you (as an ordinary citizen) than a foreign government.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>So it is really just a question of which countries you want to allow to overtly monitor your data

China having all my data I couldn't care less about.

Never planning to go there, don't care if Winnie-the-pooh doesn't like me.

But having the guy in the booth at US immigration not let me in because some machine learning algo has decided I read to many anti-trump stories on theonion and so my patriotic-credit score is too low.

2. Olius

Yep. Also:

"interests have been warning for over a year that Cisco and other US corporations are not yet ready to compete with China in the 5G arena, with their projects delayed and now hoping to deliver in 2021"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft are on Huawei App Galary

I see Microsoft office is available on the App Store, as is Skype Lite, Bing. This needs to be tightly enforced, you cannot have US products available on the Huawei App Store either, its just a backdoor to installing those apps on devices later.

There should be zero US apps on Chinese phones or in the Huawei app store.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fixed it for you

Trump has extended his Presidential Executive News Information System, banning US companies from using or buying telecoms equipment from Chinese manufacturers Huawei and ZTE for another year.

5. Xalran

It's going to be fun to see $TELCO in America remove Huawei kits and put American kits in place instead...

Because as far as I know there's no American company in the RAN Business.

And in the Telecom Business as it is... Cisco doesn't count, at best they are limited to the transport... and there's lots of people there.

Lucent was the last one with the knowledge and it was merged with Alcatel ( badly merged ) and then both were gobbled up by Nokia, thus making the whole thing a Finnish company.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Remember this isn't about security it's about distracting his base from their imminent death with a new attack on China and ensuring a kick back to a few US network companies.

So CISCO will be allowed to rebadge a bunch of Huawei systems as CISCO and charge a 50% markup with US customers forced to buy them.

6. Spanners Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Hopefully

It will be nice if all this anti-free trade stuff gets cancelled in January when an adult takes over the big job in the White House.

I'm not holding my breath though. There are some very rich and powerful 1 percenters working to keep Trump there.

1. ThomH

Re: Hopefully

The 1%ers aren't to blame; a late-April survey of US investors with at least $1m of assets by UBS found that 53% intended to vote for Biden, though 52% expected Trump to win.

Simultaneously, Trump was briefly anti-"rich guy" yesterday, though I'm sure that'll be subject to his usual infant-level attention span.

2. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: Hopefully

Fortunately it doesn't need that many people in the 99% to change their vote to eject Trump. But indeed some of the rich will be keen to keep a baby in the Oval Office. But I'm not sure it's all the rich by any means. His ineptitude in handling the pandemic has hit many of the rich in their wallets.

7. EnviableOne

If china wanted to inject surveilence equipment into the US network, surely it would have the sense to put it in the devices that aren't badged produce in china, but instead boldly exclaim "Assembled in the USA" but are full of parts manufactored in the Middle Kingdom

1. STOP_FORTH

Ooh, sneaky!

8. jason_derp

Legitimate Question

This whole thing has been happening for so long that I've honestly forgotten: what is the big deal?

Like, if China can see all the stuff we send through their towers, who really cares? If it's a threat to national security, can't you just encrypt the stream of data going through it? Like, if it's such a huge deal, can't putting mandatory end-to-end encryption on that stuff just be good enough to call it a day? If a nation-state level threat actor wants your data, they're just going to go ahead and get it, right? It's not like it's an if, it's a when, so I'm assuming this is just searching for fingers to plug obvious dyke holes. Am I wrong? I feel like I've been taking crazy pills.

9. Evil3eaver

RE: Legitimate Question

You make a valid point, yes you can encrypt but depends on the encryption. Many of what is called end-to-end encryption services have a proxy in the middle. Now depends on where the equipment is placed you may be able to spoof that proxy. These days people have forgotten that they can host their own stuff cause "The clouds", plus most corps employ in-house the lowest common denominator because they are unwilling to pay what "experts" expect. So in-house hosting is usually out of the picture, and when you use 3rd party services then well you hope they don't get hacked or someone figures out how to spoof that service's proxies.

That said this doesn't include if a flaw has been discovered in the crypto your using, or computing power is powerful enough to decrypt in reasonable (usable) time frame. That said regarding this issue the real threat (at least the only threat) isn't so much what Huawei provides to countries to do security evals on but what auto-update mechanisms exist within it allowing the CCP to mandate a "special build" or intentionally embedding obscure flaws that can be exploited to facilitate certain attack types. I guess there is also the concern that if equipment is implemented in the field by a bad actor they could be maliciously configured as well.

AFAIK the only one's that are even checkable would be the code flaws but those become very difficult when they are intentionally spread across many libraries that provide a multitude of functionality. The computing power, CCP mandated "special firmware" edition, maliciously implemented configuration are very difficult to guarantee and maybe unknowable but preventable except computing power issue. With computing power you can't just rely on crypto to protect you but on the very equipment it is running on. Although the malicious configuration is an issue for all technology not just Huawei.

You can make the most secure OS the least by disabling security features and the least secure OS the most secure by disabling services (worst case pull the power... ultra secure, just not usable).

10. Ceyarrecks

if find this whole situation strange,.. why just ONE company's electronics? WHY not ALLLLLLLLL of the electronics that are "Made in China"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like