back to article Huawei gets misty-eyed for the good old days (of a year ago) with maudlin P30 Pro remaster

Huawei has a new phone! Actually, no. That's not exactly true. The P30 Pro New Edition is almost a carbon copy of last year's flagship blower with a few minor changes. The embattled Chinese tech firm has boosted the base RAM and storage configuration to 8GB and 256GB respectively. Punters also have three new colour options to …

1. Falmor

While I'm only really interested in a new phone when my old one starts to break down, it is good to see an article reference my favourite Jeff Buckley song.

2. Stuart 22

The Great War of China

Looks as though Xi will be going head to head with Vladimir to get their man elected in November. Which way will Google be voting?

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: The Great War of China

Pass the word to both Pony Boy Vlad and Great Waller Jin that I’m putting out a tender for my vote. Biggest offer gets it... maybe. I mean, how can they verify which way I voted? Perhaps I’ll take both offers and then vote for Mickey Mouse, who has more sense than both the Orangeutaun and Joe-Boy combined... and not just because the Orangeutaun has negative sense.

3. RyokuMas
    Trollface

One more reason...

"...it also ships with Google Mobile Services..."

I would have thought a dated chipset and no 5G prospects were already reason enough not to buy one?

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: One more reason...

I replaced my old iPhone 6 with a new iPhone SE 2, which also won’t do 5G. Right now I have 2 bars of 4G LTE, and there are, according to T-Mobile’s own coverage maps, several spots locally where 4G isn’t available, much less 5G. I’ll worry about whether or not my new phone does 5G when there’s better coverage, which won’t be for years. For years one local T-Mob store had to have a booster in the store as they were in an area which got 3G coverage only, despite the coverage map saying that there was 4G...

1. bengoey49

You are absolutely right. When I was in the process of moving carrier two months ago, my previous carrier tried to persuade me not to move by telling me that they are in the process of launching 5G. I told him that for the past thirteen years there has been no improvement in the poor 4G / LTE signal strength in my area , what is the point of 5G for me and that was the only reason for moving to a different carrier with much better signal. I should have done it years ago.By the way you will probably have better signal reception with Huawei P30 Pro than an iPhone ( Intel Modem ).

2. doublelayer Silver badge

It might be given the pricepoint, but for most users, neither feature is of utmost importance. Few places have 5G, so unless you're so annoyed with the slow speed of 4G that you feel you need 5G as soon as it is available, you probably don't care. The more modern chipset is faster, but if you don't do a lot of CPU-intensive work on your phone, you likely don't notice that. I'm not sure how many people there out there who do rely on that, but all the people I know don't have a clue what chipset is in their phone and don't really care about a faster one.

For the general public, I've seen people caring about the following features, in descending order of number of people I've heard complain about each feature or plan to buy a different device based on said feature:

1. Physical appearance of device.

2. Screen size and shape (E.G. people who really hate notches).

3. Headphone jack availability.

4. Battery life.

5. Camera quality.

6. Price.

7. Modernity of OS.*

8. Likelihood of continued security updates.*

9. Expandability, including dedicated SD, dual SIM, and replaceable battery.*

10. Support by alternate OS images, E.G. Lineage OS.*

*At least somewhat technical people only.

3. cd

I'd prefer no GAPPS. Surprised none of those pariah outfits has released a rooted phone, would be a way to distress everyone official and incidentally official like Google.

The hotspot on my 4G phone is named 5G_COVID_Spreader, which is almost as good as having 5G.

4. x 7

What kind of idiot spends £600 on a phone anyway?

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Someone who wants a powerful handheld computer. It used to be that I mostly used cellphones to make calls, but over the last few years my use has been largely computer-related: maps, music, videos, books, Internet access. I’m typing this on an iPad, but I sometimes use my phone...

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

@ x7

only 600 quid? I would not be seen dead with anything less than a top of range iPhone. For what we charge for our product, our customers would expect nothing less.

See handle

Cheers.. Ish

5. a pressbutton

The good old days...

having been locked down since March and may well be locked down until October,

I have started using the landline.

Mobiles are for people who are ... mobile.

1. Stuart 22

Re: The good old days...

Nope, its cheaper to use my mobile at home than the landline. It's been strictly incoming and broadband carrying for the last decade or so.

The next outgoing landline call is likely to be when I contract Covid-19 as 111 is blocked on my mobile as a 'premium' number. Go figure ...

6. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Serves them right for being so Huaweillian

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like