back to article Back of the net! Norfolk County Council kicks off £18m Oracle cloud ERP deal

Aha. Norfolk County Council, the UK local government authority based in Norwich, has awarded contracts for an organisation-wide ERP upgrade to Oracle and "service partner" Insight Direct. The deal, which includes £13.5m for Big Red and £4.4m for the reseller-cum-integrator, promises a fully integrated ERP SaaS system including …

1. jason 7

Knowing me knowing Norfolk County Council...

...it will end up costing twice that! But the local useless Archant press will never bother to investigate.

Aha!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Knowing me knowing Norfolk County Council...

It also occurred to me that "The tender notice did not specify Oracle software." probably translates to "the requirement was tweaked until only an Oracle system would fit".

2. Korev Silver badge
    Childcatcher

The big question...

I think this article missed the burning question:

What do you think of the pedestrianisation of Norwich City Centre?

1. jason 7

Re: The big question...

Ha well we are the only ones that build cycle paths with trees in them!

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/politics/city-council-slam-cycle-lane-safety-fears-after-claims-of-hazardous-layout-1-6308810

Cllr Mike Stonard...what a guy!

2. DJV Silver badge

What do you think of the pedestrianisation of Norwich City Centre?

I think it started in the 1960s and shows no sign of abating - that's what I think.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Coat

"What do you think of the pedestrianisation of Norwich County Council?"

Wasn't that what you meant to say?

1. Korev Silver badge
        Windows

No ;)

Maybe NSFW...

3. Martin Summers Silver badge

Oh dear. Give it a couple of years and I fully expect them to be tendering again. I can guarantee this will not go well. I keep wondering where Oracle are getting the customers still and why their new customers have not done enough due diligence on this company.

Unfortunately, thanks to the way councils have to procure services by law, Oracle probably had a crack team working on fitting the procurement criteria to the letter and deep enough pockets to price everyone else out. I don't think there's anything a council can do to account for the fact that a company are known to be utterly shite on their application. They'd have more than likely had no choice but to go with them. I bet their IT department are absolutely dispairing.

4. DJV Silver badge

The expected go-live is in October 2021

No, it shouldn't be "expected" - the exact date should be specified and written in blood, along with clauses that dictate increasing daily penalties for Oracle for every day they fail to deliver a workng system past that date until the amount payable per day bankrupts them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like