back to article Fake crypto-wallet extensions appear in Chrome Web Store once again, siphoning off victims' passwords

Three weeks after Google removed 49 Chrome extensions from its browser's software store for stealing crypto-wallet credentials, 11 more password-swiping add-ons have been spotted – and some are still available to download. The dodgy add-ons masquerade as legit crypto-wallet extensions, and invite people to type in their …

1. Claverhouse Silver badge
    FAIL

Mozilla and Chrome, Sitting in a Tree

I'm sure New Modern Firefox will soon sedulously ape Chrome as ever, and include password-grabbers as well.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

One word.

Money.

Anything that gets in the way of that for Google is an inconvenience.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: One word.

The same with YouTube. They show video ads which are blatant scams.

People trust YouTube to be above that, especially with video ads which seem more official.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Be your own bank!

Coiners really are suckers for punishment.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Be your own bank!

The most successful scams all seem to have one thing in common. They play on the marks greed.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If Google have to positively approve these apps to appear on their store ...

... are they then vicariously liable for any consequential loses through fraud?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: If Google have to positively approve these apps to appear on their store ...

Google will comply with any direct judgement made by the highest court, anything else can be ignored until then. Lose less than a million and it'll cost you more (+ several years) to win the case.

2. ryokeken

Re: If Google have to positively approve these apps to appear on their store ...

Dunno about google never talked to IT tho it be interesting if we find out the actual person in charge of their budget...

5. Blackjack Silver badge

People are stil using the Chrome Web store?

When it started it had few apps but it had a lot if cool games. Nowadays is 98% crapware.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You've got $50k worth of BTC

and you typed the key into a web based password manager?

No soup for you.

Re: You've got $50k worth of BTC

Fools and their money...

7. Pen-y-gors

That's a good idea

It's such a faff having to type in things to access my bank account online.

Think I'll launch an app that remembers all the login details and enables one-click login.

That will be a big help.

I could share it with other people - for free.

I wonder how many people will download it?

Re: That's a good idea

Just the usual hard of thinking bunch, thousands of 'em!

2. JCitizen
      FAIL

Re: That's a good idea

Well at least the same amount of people who think Chrome's password vault is secure! They wouldn't actually need your manager if they used the built in "service". /s

8. Mark192

The article says: "Google has made similar security enhancement announcements about the Chrome Web Store every year since 2011"

This says it all.

Stop using no-skill bullshitters in your management positions.

Get people that know what they're talking about (your engineers, programmers...) and develop their people and project management skills. Turn them into your leaders. They'll turn this around.

1. Breen Whitman

Google has an old military like structure. Product managers are like the old generals back in Paris. Engineers and programmers are the soldiers and junior officers in the trenches, knee deep in mud and guts.

The two never cross over and nothing usurps that structure.

Yes, occasionally a general notice a young private and invites them to Paris to sodomize them, but thats a different thing.

9. ryokeken

Who is google? Nobody if you don’t name who’s responsible for that division

Who is google? Nobody if you don’t name who’s responsible for that division. Innit half assed to report on a problem, name the company responsible and not name the person at the end of the bucket?what snark you say? Liabilities? I call BS because I’ve read the rag for years and watch uncle Leo on the twit.tv network so I’m acquainted with at least one of your guys worldview, it seems representative of the whole company and supposedly it doesn’t stand for bullshit yet all you do is call out this giant anonymous CEO shield and not the actual physical person who signed off on whatever. It's as if you don’t know how to break down a big problem into small easier to solve ones? you’re not following,uh? You have ten articles about the behemoth Google but you could have ten articles about ten different managers who messed up at google. Still not following? You got a big mouth and tiny balls start naming names, agur

10. albegadeep

Agreement doesn't stop criminals

"Google's Chrome Web Store developer agreement forbids developers from violating intellectual property rights, which probably doesn't mean much to committed law-breakers."

No kidding. If you're going to commit grand theft, what's a little trademark infringement? The agreement only works against someone in a country where it can be enforced, and where the user won't disappear before the enforcement. In other words, a real developer.

1. batfink

Re: Agreement doesn't stop criminals

Damn! I was just writing this malware to steal heaps of money from people, but now I've noticed that this might be against Google's T&C's, so I had better not do it. Curses! Foiled again!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Onece again.....

Avoid anything with chrome or anything with Chrome in it, Chrome is a toxic metal and should be avoided!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does Google make developers prove their identity?

Aooke does for their app store, including a small fee paid by credit card, and while fallible does make life more difficult and put off chancers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does Google make developers prove their identity?

Undoubtedly "Aooke" was a typo (right hand in wrong place on keyboard), but it makes me think of monkeys blindly following a trend; +1 for you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like