back to article First it became Middle Earth, now New Zealand will transform into Azure region number 60

Microsoft has announced an Azure region in New Zealand. Aotearoa, to use the native Maori name for the country, will not be the least-populous nation to host Azure: Qatar has about two million fewer residents than New Zealand's five million. But New Zealand is comfortably the most remote Azure outpost as it has just three …

1. Uberseehandel

The submarine cable issue is not a fragile as the author suggests, see - https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

However, NZ is currently volcanically active. Volcanic eruptions and serious earthquakes are a fact of life. Buildings collapse, land shifts volcanic clouds disrupt transport. Serious damage is done, people die. Kiwis cope with it.

The only question is, why did it take so long for an Aotearoa Azure region to be announced. A curious statistic from the 80s is that NZ had the same ratio per capita usage/ownership of personal computers as San Francisco. There really is thunder downunder.

1. Muscleguy

From back then is the stat that NZ had more fax machines per head than anywhere except Japan. Sending a fax was faster than the mail or courier for time critical documents. Durng my PhD while applying for stuff I faxed some quite big things.

How to adapt to business life despite the Tyranny of Distance.

Another related problem is time difference. Currently it's 11 hours, it can be 12 or 13.

1. Richard Plinston

> Another related problem is time difference.

That can be an advantage rather than a problem. A few years ago I was developing a fairly large system for a UK based company while residing in NZ. I would develop and code during the day and early evening and then send the new code to the UK agent (using 56k modems) and they would test and I would have the results and comments by breakfast. We got a lot done in a very short time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I once had a chat with someone in NZ heavily involved in "cloud" strategy for some of their large organisations. One thing he said was the major providers didn't have physical presences in the country. At the time (a couple of years ago) apparently the scale wasn't there to make it economically viable, and there were some other considerations such as the main North-South link running up the bit of road that fell into the sea at the last earthquake. So a lot of the strategy was around making sure they had appropriate/redundant points of presence offshore e.g. US and Australia's east coast.

Sounds like things have changed a bit since then, which is interesting.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This would be the first true public cloud in NZ. The few players offering a cloud, IBM, Datacom, etc, are too expensive and aren't really public. Then you have joke companies like Umbrellar. The environmental risks are minimal if you locate in what will likely be Auckland or Hamilton

2. Muscleguy

" extreme geographic resilience"

Um you do know the locals refer to them as The Shaky Isles? Natural disasters are so possible in NZ that on the inside back cover of the phone book is your local Civil Defence information. Living on the former salt marsh of South Dunedin less than 200m from the beach ours was Tsunami risk. My sister on their former 'lifestyle block' on the flanks of the Taranaki Volcano it was Lahar risk. My other sisters in Auckland have to worry about another volcanic cone opening in the Auckland Volcanic Field (last erupted about 1200ACE forming Rangitoto Island, a blink of an eye geologically).

In the centre of the North Island is a large round photogenic lake, with hot water beaches and views of the Tongariro Volcano to the South (with Ngarahohe (mount Doom) and Ruapehu south of that). Lake Taupo is a caldera and it too has blown relatively recently.

The scientists say the Main Divide fault at the plate boundary in the South Island (see those lovely snow capped peaks running as a spine?) is due to let go. It could make the Kaikoura 7.9 (2-9m uplift) look like a picnic. NZGov is focussed on making towns, cities, communities more locally resilient so they can survive cut off from anywhere else for longer.

Nobody in their right mind would rely on being safe in NZ. It is lovely and the danger is manageable (nobody was directly killed by the Kaikoura quake but only because it happened in the Early Hours) the main highway got steps put in it and/or the rails from the railway shunted onto it or the Mountains fell on it. There were fears of motorists under the landslides but nobody was.

There were two Christchurch quakes, the first was also early hours and caused facade collapses. Those killed people in the midday big one. No infrastructure can be built to survive metres of uplift or liquifaction. They're still finding and fixing broken pipes in ChCh.

If you are thinking of a NZ bolthole stock it well with dried or canned food, don't rely on frozen and a shedload of bottled water. Oh and accessible camping gear if your main lair is uninhabitable and batteries/windups/solar or wind generators. Which forms a large part of the bug out package households in NZ are recommended to have. My daughter in Dunedin and her husband have one. Their house is on a slope and could easily slide down it in a Big One or just break. NZ houses are code built not to fall on your head in a quake. They are not built to survive and be habitable afterwards.

1. Daveytay

Re: " extreme geographic resilience"

I live in Christchurch before and still. I think most everything you said is true. I challenge you to find a code in use anywhere where the house is mandated to be habitable after a quake. Luckily mine still is and it is probably because it was built in 1959. It sways and comes upright again. Every big shake I have been home for ( too many) have been like a boat ride. Some slow rolling sway, some power smacking, some lolling at the dock, but always a boat ride.

2. Deltics

Re: " extreme geographic resilience"

Building codes also "ensure" that homes are leakproof against the elements. Even the code that applied in the 90's which led to the "NZ leaky homes" debacle. Just saying.

One thing NZ'ers love more than anything else is bureaucracy. Making sure the bureaucracy is effective ? Yeah, nah, she'll be right. ;)

3. Kildare

More on UK submarine cables

For those who enjoy getting their fingers dirty the following is a link to a privately made programme on the UK fibres most of which leave from Cornwall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_nnUbX7uuQ

4. Rich 11

Boltholes

None are shorter than 2,000km, which won't make for crippling latency but may reduce the region's utility as a bottom-of-the-world bolthole for those who like extreme geographic resilience.

I expect several of the boltholers will have their own satellite constellations anyway.

5. Colinui

Not in Auckland

They would be better off building it in Invercargill, which is at the bottom of NZ. The weather is much cooler (cold even) so the electricity costs of cooling the centre would be much less.

NZ has an excellent fibre network, so physical location means little.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like