back to article Microsoft tries really hard not to say the next Xbox could be delayed by coronavirus

Microsoft appears to be softening up gamers for the prospect of no new Xbox for Christmas 2020. A new post from corporate veep for gaming and marketing Jerret West says: "Our goal remains to launch Xbox Series X and Halo Infinite this Holiday." Note the "remains" because Microsoft has previously been very firm about a late …

1. tip pc Silver badge

Obvious certainty of massive sales

People will pre order this and accept an empty cardboard gif the tree so long as they get a shipped version within ~4 months.

MS could guarantee purchases with shops etc in case punters decide to return or rather not take up their purchase options.

PlayStation will have exactly the sand issue.

Nintendo had that problem last year, anyone know of any retailers selling The full fat switch?

1. TheProf

Re: Obvious certainty of massive sales

Not me. I don't 'pre-order'. I'll give you money and in return you give me the goods.

1. Tigra 07
        Devil

There's no reason to preorder, especially after the examples from last console generation:

Blockbuster took preorders for console bundles and collapsed before they launched - all those customers will have lost money from that (Probably all of it).

GAME took preorders. Called customer into stores to collect them when they weren't there, and tried to sell them other things after they waited in queues for ~1 hour for nothing. They tried to scaremonger customers into buying insurance, claiming that the Manager had already broken his Playstation 5 (This one happened in my local store, including to me, and they were very pushy). They sold people's preorders to anyone who would outbid those customers, and would only honour mine and a few friends i heard from, preorders if you spent £550 on an even bigger "deal" with more games.

So, assuming the same could happen again. Don't preorder. And if you do, expect to be ripped off by greedy companies, or possibly lose all your money and receive nothing.

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

Not me I'm saving up for an "Okama Gamesphere". https://www.reddit.com/r/southpark/comments/6fz29w/okama_gamesphere/

3. chuBb.

Possibly that said i would be just as likely to believe that they will hold back launch until there is suitable stock levels in distribution centres just to safe guard the PR wins they have had this far against PS5. Cant see iphone false scarcity to be a good look at christmas for what will by and large be gifts for kids, "here is your xbox iou card, now wait till easter till you can plug it in, thats your lot..."

When they launch they will want to ensure that any one with 5-600 quid in pocket has the ability to walk away with a new xbox thats in stock rather than a ps5, and given how the ps4 has dominated this generation MS will not let a chance to get a clear lead at the start of this refresh cycle slip them by.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

I still want one

Will I buy one? Absolutely.

Will I preorder one? Probably, but only directly from Microsoft with the assumption that I will be charged when it ships.

Will discounts be available? Probably not for several months after shipping.

Is Microsoft worried about Sony beating them to the punch? No. Sony has bigger problems in both hardware and pricing.

What about the kids gathered around the tree? If you mean those game savvy monsters who make me feel like I've got lead thumbs. they'll be fine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like