back to article QUIC, dig in: Microsoft open-sources MsQuic, its implementation of Google-spawned TCP-killer QUIC

Microsoft has revealed it's a user of QUIC – the TCP successor that's integral to HTTP3 but hasn't quite excited too many folk beyond Google and Cloudflare. QUIC – an acronym for Quick UDP Internet Connections – is a Google emission from 2013 that aims to help the internet scale and speed up by offering an alternative to TCP's …

1. Martin an gof Silver badge
    WTF?

Ok, I have to ask...

what is an "internal dogfood environment"? Sounds smelly.

M.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ok, I have to ask...

I assume they're referring to 'Eating your own dogfood', meaning that they are using it themselves internally within Microsoft. It has the added advantage that it should actually have been tested before release, unlike some of their other products....

2. david 12 Silver badge

Re: Ok, I have to ask...

SMB was always a dog when running on TCP. That's the internal dog food environment.

2. Dippywood

...called MsQuic

Oh.

I was hoping for NesQuic...

Never mind, no point in crying over spilt milk, and all of that.

3. nagyeger

the good thing about standards

is there are so many to choose from,

- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

What does MS add to the standard other than 2 letters and maybe a (TM)?

1. poohbear

Re: the good thing about standards

Embrace, Extend ...

1. mikus

Exactly what I thought, good old MS EEE strategy.

I'm already scared they put a "ms" in front of it, which means they adapted it, screwed it up, will push to every desktop on the market, and break every core browser not using IE/Edge/Whatever they are pushing to users by default.

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

It's an atavistic reaction. Microsoft hates anything they didn't invent and can't make money off.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Indeed. Does anyone remember MSjava?

So poorly implemented that Sun had a few words with Microsoft, who then had the nerve to tell Sun that that was how Java was supposed to be implemented. The courts had a different view on who owned Java...

1. ovation1357

That whole MS Java Vs Sun thing turned out to be the reason that I couldn't get a legitimate copy of MS Visual C++ 6 from Microsoft.

I needed it to try and build some antique code I'd been asked to look at and I could get even older editions and, of course, newer ones but version 6 was completely missing.

Turns out it was bundled with the MS Java that the courts ruled they had to stop distributing (IIRC!).

An ISO was acquired via an older, well seasoned developer so it wasn't the end of the world. But certainly a nuisance

4. Trigun
    FAIL

Gah QUIC again

*sigh* Gonna be fun dealing with that as well as qQUIC. At least google have an ADMX template containg a GPO to disable it in Chrome. I bet Microsoft don't do the same as they love shoving their new tech down everyones throats :p. Probably be a case of blocking ports 80 and 443 UDP) again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like