back to article Oracle faces claims of unequal pay from 4,000+ women after judge upgrades gender gap lawsuit to class action

A lawsuit filed against Oracle on behalf of six women seeking to be paid as much as their male colleagues has been certified as a class action – a legal milestone that will allow thousands of women a chance to have their gender discrimination claims heard. In 2017, Xian Murray, Sophy Wang, and Rong Jewett, who had been …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Counterclaim?

"In November, Oracle filed a counterclaim against the government, insisting the Uncle Sam didn't have the authority to block contracts or challenge Oracle's payment practices."

Really?

First, The Equal Pay Act of 1963 (as amended to include salaried professionals) administered by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Plus the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs which is charged with monitoring federal contractors.

Another Oracle nuisance suit.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Counterclaim?

The Minions are picking a fight with someone who has deeper pockets and spend them into oblivion.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Counterclaim?

"The Equal Pay Act of 1963"

You'd think they would KNOW BETTER than to (allegedly) VIOLATE that...

2. BebopWeBop
    Unhappy

And while I hope that if it can be demonstrated, those discriminated against will get compensation, I feer that the only winners will be the lawyers....

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The settlement, when in or out of court, IMHO should always be two amounts.

A) the amount required to compensate the victims fairly based on their losses (and possible additional for stress etc) .

B) the cost, ie the lawyers fees.

It annoys me every time we see a class action result in multi-million dollar settlements where the victims don't even get their loses covered because the lawyers take so much. No one should be agreeing to a settlement like that, especially if it's an out of court settlement.

1. Aitor 1

Civil fine

Class actions these days are essentially civil fines, you sue them, they will settle, but it will be expensive.

So they want to avoid the whole thing, it is a deterrent.

3. Julz

The

Oracle I know, would be happier still if it didn't have to pay it's staff at all, let alone with equality.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

Re: The

I would happily sell my house and all its contents in order to pay Oracle for the privilege of working for them!

4. davenewman

To get CEOs to take discrimination seriously, we need a law that has personal consequences - such as a forced sex change operation for CEOs who discriminate against women.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Does that include female CEOs running companies where this discrimination is also going on?

It's not all "sisters together". It's sociopaths of whatever gender looking for any possible way of reducing costs.

I know discrimination happens, but I can't put my mind in the position of someone who does it. If some one is capable of and doing a job at a particular skill level, pay them the going rate. Why should it matter whether their dangly bits are at chest or groin height or what colour the skin is?

2. a_yank_lurker

Personally I would like to see Leisure Suit Larry at the end of a rope as a warning to others.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

no need to warn others

swinging Larry gets new definition

3. This post has been deleted by its author

5. onemark03

Oracle's Gender-Gap Lawsuit

Nah, just personal financial liability (not covered by D&O insurance) and some serious jail time.

Come to think of it, that would cut out a shit-load of managerial greed generally.

6. SuperGeek

"Uber in 2018 "payed" $10m to settle pay discrimination claims brought by 400 female and minority engineers."

Have we got 10 year olds writing here now? It's "paid", dammit. Unprofessional journalism at its finest. Look up the words "proofread", and "spellcheck", you'll learn something. Is mummy too busy doing ironing to help? :)

1. Mark192

Give it a rest

I rarely see spelling/grammar errors here and the quality of the actual journalism is leagues ahead of most other sources of news.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@SuperGeek

Says the poster who needs to look up the correct use of commas...

1. AlanS
        Headmaster

Re: @SuperGeek

SuperGeek has used English, where the comma is inside the "" only if the thing quoted has a comma.

2. Spanners Silver badge
        Headmaster

Re: @SuperGeek

the correct use of commas

Were you referring to the correct use or the US "acceptable error" style?

Whilst input from anywhere seems to be welcome, people from the USA may not be the best source of spelling and grammar corrections.

3. Steve K

Tips & Corrections link

There is a tips & corrections link at the bottom of each article - no need for grammatic/spelling appendage-waving....

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"we look forward to trying those in court"

No you don't. The last thing Oracle wants is to have its internal practices laid bare in a court and take the risk of having a court decision make it change.

IBM was going to fight tooth and nail in much the same case of discrimination and it folded like a wet mop and settled to avoid a definitive decision.

I think that, if Oracle can, it will settle, because that will allow it to continue its practices which it probably believes will cost it less in the long run. The only question in my mind is : can it settle now that the case has class action status ? I don't know the rules on that.

8. Grundleberry

Couldn't have happened to a nicer company.

9. fredesmite
    WTF?

It doesn't take any Little Rock Man Scientist to understand ...

THAT EVERY WOMEN IN AMERICA IS UNDERPAID IN EVERY PROFESSION ( except maybe the oldest profession ).

The sad and ironic part the majority of REPUBLICAN WOMEN VOTE AND SUPPORT THAT .. THEY ARE BRAIN-WASHED INTO THINKING HAVING A VAGINA THAT POPS OUT A KID MEANS THEY SHOULD EARN LESS .

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like