back to article AKG headphones sound out US market

At this week's Macworld Expo, audio giant Harman International announced that it would begin selling its premium-quality headphone brand, AKG, in the US consumer market. While select products in the AKG line have been available to US-based audio professionals, the company's consumer-level 'phones have until now been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nice to see

I do like AKG cans and I'm looking forward to having an easier time getting them without resorting to third party importers. I miss my K 701's, paired with the MP5 amp that was a solid combination.

2. Blaine Oliver

Useless

I know companies try to get the best, but who needs upto 28KHz response? No one, because even the most perfect hearing can only hear upto 19-20KHz. Hell anyone who wears chunky headphones is probably only going to hear upto 15KHz, give us more response at the lower end, where we can still hear a bit.

3. Rick Brasche

what've they got that's sound isolating?

I need something that can carry bluetooth audio and provide good sound isolation from wind noise, and fit under a helmet. Don't wanna lay out a hundred USD or more for some Shure's sicne i don't use em much.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

brand isn't new to the US

Maybe I was hanging with the wrong crowd, but I remember AKG headphones being widely available in US back in the 70's and 80's.

5. Sajjad Syed
    Go

Awesome!

Sennheiser and Grado need some competition, and AKG's pro headphones are great stuff but too intense for average joes.

PS, having the response go out to 28 khz is not a bad thing at all. That's not even half an octave above 20 khz and they make them capable of that because they want any high frequency response falloff to occur BEYOND our range of hearing so that the very same fickle people who make complaints about them being overspecified won't complain about weak treble.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Prices

Let's hope they use a 1USD=1GBP exchange rate for the US pricing strtucture then we can get our own back for the yanks shafting us over just about everything that comes this way..

Anonymous and joke icon just in case somebody doesn't realise.

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

MMmmmmm

Got a pair of 240s. Luvem to bits :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ brandor

No they aren't new as such to the US market as I've used some models for years. The problem has always been finding a good source for them at less than nose bleed prices that importers want to charge. Well at least where I'm at, then again for the longest there was a severe lack of stores in the suburban Los Angeles area.

9. David Moore
    Boffin

@Blain Oliver

People who know what they're on about want a response up to 28kHz. In fact, my 650's go up to 39.5kHz. I would explain why, but I can't be arsed.

This topic is closed for new posts.