back to article From attacked engineers to a crypto-loving preacher with a questionable CV: Yep, it's still very much 5G silly season

Folks, we regret to inform you it's still 5G silly season. This news, of course, won't come as much of a surprise. We're in the midst of a pandemic that has utterly changed the fabric of society, turning our homes into cushy boltholes we cannot leave, except for brief moments of parole where you can queue outside Tesco to buy …

1. RockBurner

Planet wide coups come not in single events, but in battalions of minor changes. Or not.

"And while Gates is undoubtedly a genius, we're not sure the man behind Windows Vista is capable of pulling off a planet-wide coup.".

I thought that WAS a planet-wide coup.... (well - attempted at least)

2. Len
    Coat

It was Elon Musk, with a satellite, in space

I am genuinely surprised that nobody has made the obvious connection that controversial billionaire Elon Musk is sending tens of thousands of satellites into space with their antennas aimed at earth and within months the coronavirus pandemic breaks out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It was Elon Musk, with a satellite, in space

Just........... don't

1. Len
        Happy

Try setting fire to a satellite, bitches.

1. Qumefox

Please don't give them ideas. Because while already launched satellites might be untouchable by the general population. Those satellites are still manufactured here on the surface. Personally i'm very much looking forward to the pressure starlink will put on regional telco monopolies, so I'd rather the crackpots not endanger that in any way.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah-ah... those satellites just coordinate the distribution of the virus (and worse!one!!). It is spread via the exhaust of his Tesla EV - why would they have one (hidden on the underside) otherwise [1]? And those hidden Corona reservoirs are filled up at the Supercharger network - that s why other makes can t charge there! It all comes together.

Sorry

concerned citizen

[1] yes, aircon drain, don t tell me...

3. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

There's also the story doing the rounds that Cannabis is due for "convenient" legalisation as soon as the gene edited stuff that makes the plant produce a mind-altering "obedience drug" as well as the high and that some countries are already pushing it through high volume dealers.

1. teknopaul

"obedience drug" ??, you cant even get a Toker to pass the ash tray.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"The frequency that they're using is just below the classification of a weapon"

Statements like that make me immediately think : citation, please ? What is the scientific founding of your statement ?

It's not because you can articulate correctly that I am automatically going to bow before your words. You still need to make sense, and your arguments still need to be justified.

It's like that stupid video about 9/11, showing one tower collapsing. The voice was saying that it was obvious that the debris was falling at the same speed as the tower, when the video was clearly showing that it fell faster.

If you're too stupid to realize that your eyes are telling you a different story than your ears, then you don't deserve to be part of the human race.

Sorry, but stupidity really gets me rankled.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"What is the scientific founding of your statement ?"

There is none. You're trying to find logic and rationality where none exists.

C.

1. Trollslayer

Re: "What is the scientific founding of your statement ?"

That is the point being made.

1. You aint sin me, roit
          Black Helicopters

"I'd post the links but then I'd be a target for the Illuminati/global Jewish conspiracy/Bill Gates' attack drones."

The point about conspiracy theories is that they can't be denied... the "well you would say that, wouldn't you?" tactic works on people who want to believe they are being lied to by the powers that be.

1. Psmo
            Alien

Well you would say that wouldn't you?

Icon for when you can't see the wood for the alien conspiracies.

2. Len
      Angel

Re: "The frequency that they're using is just below the classification of a weapon"

The most hilarious thing about those videos I find is that they show footage of explosions on one of the top floors and say that it "showed signs of a controlled demolition".

Anyone who has ever seen one of those videos of controlled demolitions should have noticed that, obviously, they blow up the foundations (and not the roof) as they want the building to collapse on itself, not spread debris far and wide from the highest point.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: "The frequency that they're using is just below the classification of a weapon"

Anyone who has ever seen one of those videos of controlled demolitions should have noticed that, obviously, they blow up the foundations (and not the roof) as they want the building to collapse on itself, not spread debris far and wide from the highest point.

One of the security staff at a business where I worked was watching that video one evening. He was a very intelligent bloke but seemed to be being sucked into the theories the more he watched. I watched a bit of the film with him and easily disproved something they brought up.

I also mentioned something that the business had done recently. They were buying another much smaller firm and It was supposed to be kept very secret. As a result only three people in our firm and the owner of the other knew anything about it. That had leaked out fairly quickly internally though and the management had to admit the rumours were true. I asked him how many people do you think it would have taken to orchestrate something like 9/11? Firstly how do you get so many people to agree to helping to commit mass murder? Secondly if we can't keep the purchase of a small business quiet with only four people knowing.....how do you stop something as large as 9/11 from leaking?

I said if he wanted to investigate a real conspiracy I had one for him. Why was the canteen in the building raising prices again when the last rise was under 8 months ago? This was a supposedly subsidised canteen so price rises were not meant to be that frequent. Even I couldn't explain that one.

1. Len
          Facepalm

I think one of the key things that almost every conspiracy theorist shares is that they have never managed more than two people.

As soon as you manage more than two (and technically it starts at two as that is when you run into the Dyad vs. Triad problem where it's possible for two people to conspire against a third, creating all sorts of real or imagined issues) you'll discover that there is a big gap between what you want to happen, what the people think you want to happen, and what will really happen.

If even relatively minor operations can only be executed to about 90% perfection and operations requiring just ten people not to talk still leak to the press, imagine what the success rate is of an operation that requires tens of thousands of people to all do exactly as what is expected of them. Tens of thousands of people who all keep their mouth shut for ever, never say too much when drunk or in an emotionally fragile state, never experience regret or are never desperate in need of cash but with a story to tell that could make them mega bucks.

Of course there are groups of people of all stripes on all sorts of levels planning things in secret (from a product launch to a plan to overthrow a government). A lot of shady stuff happens. But to think plans that would involve tens of thousands of people to work flawlessly and silently can ever be executed even remotely close to successful is madness.

1. RockBurner
            Trollface

What about Operation Overlord?

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"What about Operation Overlord?"

What about it? There was a war going on, so not a lot of cross-channels chatter. And if you look at the story of Overlord you will see there was a HUGE amount of effort put into distraction, false information etc just in case enemy spies did get a sniff of it. Nazi spies were generally pretty useless in the UK, but even so a massive counter espionage operation went on.

3. John Sager

Yes, but you have the mental capacity, learning and experience to do that. We forget, in our tech environments like here, that a significant fraction of the populace actually can't do that. It's not ignorance per se, they haven't the capacity to learn enough not to be ignorant. And there are the shysters who prey on them if course.

1. Giovani Tapini

its playing on the general ignorance of the public - remember half the population has below average intelligence...

I think i'll create a video that shows reading the register will hyper-evolve me into a super intelligent shade of blue...

4. JimboSmith Silver badge

I had a leaflet through my door a couple of months ago warning me of the dangers of 5G. It was filled with the usual conspiracy theories (not CV-19) which I ignored. It didn't list the dangers I was worried about though so I dropped it in the recycling. Had they mentioned being run over by a self driving car, or smart IOT kit trying to spy on me, or making my phones easier to track I might have taken a bit more interest.

5. martinusher Silver badge

Fall of empires (and civilization too?)

Generations of historians have pondered about major events like the fall of the Roman Empire. How could a society that was at one point so advanced fall into decay and the Dark Ages? It was certainly a puzzle.

Was, because we're now witnessing in real time how civilizations fall.

1. Len
      Meh

Re: Fall of empires (and civilization too?)

You know, I have at times wondered if that is indeed what we're witnessing. An unravelling.

There are some popular memes showing an increasing amount of shit happening to the world since 2015 (and yes, I include the death of David Bowie in that). That makes you wonder what could possible top the coronavirus outbreak. I think I have found it.

Donald Trump is not going to recognise the outcome of the US Presidential Elections if he doesn't win at least 75%. He'll threaten the electoral colleges to disregard the popular vote in their state and vote for him (ECs are not legally obliged to take the ballots into account). He'll fight the result in court in any state that didn't vote for him until he is re-elected. If he doesn't get a second term he'll get the militia, the people who are now on the streets protesting against the lockdown and the conspiracy nutjobs to pick up arms.

And presto, the current times are a relative bliss.

1. EatsRootsAndLeaves

"(ECs are not legally obliged to take the ballots into account)"

Based on constitutional strictures, true. But many states, for example, Washington, have state laws that require the electors to give their votes to the winner of the majority of popular votes cast in that state.

But, after 2016 multiple lawsuits were brought against these various 'faithless elector' laws and at least one is going to the US Supreme Court. If the court strikes down these laws then yes, it would truly be that the American people do not vote for President. They vote for slates of electors that the vast majority of the population has zero clue who they are, what they do or even why they exist. These electors would have zero constraint on them as to how they vote.

Another level of problem is that these electors have traditionally been low-level state party workers and other random folks. No specific laws regarding acting in the public benefit, don't take bribes, etc., apply to them, usually named to recognise their volunteer efforts or perhaps notable people in the community. In the 20th Century they simply became little more than a bookkeeping artifact but without these laws and with the full corruption of the orange terror to bring to bear the US may as well not bother anymore with voting 'for president.'

1. Clunking Fist

"But, after 2016 multiple lawsuits were brought against these various 'faithless elector' laws"

Yeah, wasn't that because folk were trying to pressure them into NOT put their state's votes towards Trump? Because he was "literally Hitler" etc.

2. John Sager

Nice conspiracy theory Len!

1. Tom 38

I think the bigger problem, assuming he does actually lose, is that he's still president for ~3 months(?) Think what damage an angry narcissistic toddler could do in three months with that power.

After that point though, he's not president according to the constitution, and I think the secret service and the military will not take orders from someone who is not president. If militias did take to the streets, I think they'd quickly find that AR-15s are good for shooting up schools of unarmed kids, not so good against the US military.

1. Len
            Holmes

By law, the end of his term is 20 January 2021, unless he is re-elected. That's why he'll use every legal and illegal trick in the book to win. He'll bribe or threaten members of the electoral collages to vote for him. He'll explain the constitution and the law in his own way, the Department of Justice, the Republicans and parts of the media will support him in that. Possibly the Supreme Court too. George W. Bush got the presidency through the courts instead of the ballot box, Trump can do that too.

But yes, if he can't win then it's unlikely the military and security services will support him any longer. And yes, they will probably win from nut jobs with guns. The resulting chaos would probably be severe enough to be called a civil war, though.

And that is the worrying element. If you map out these elections into a flow chart with five or so different outcomes there is a frightfully high chance of serious disruptions in two or three of them.

1. John Sager

Len, he doesn't need to. Look at his opponent...

2. Clunking Fist

"But yes, if he can't win then it's unlikely the ... security services will support him any longer. "

What planet do you live on? Security services have been trying to oust him since the 2016 election. On the basis that he's slightly less likely to invade countries than Obama, Clinton and the Bushes.

2. Clunking Fist

"Think what damage an angry narcissistic toddler could do in three months with that power."

Indeed, we only need to look at what Obama did:

- Place extra sanctions on Russia for "interfering" in the US elections

- Wire-tap the incoming administration and try and catch key members in perjury traps.

- Spread misinformation about Russian control of Trump

We may not like Trump, but the US "Intelligence Community" hated his guts and did a lot of bad stuff to get rid of him. And MSNBC, CNN New York Times, Buzzfeed, etc. all rooted for them.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

quote: Spread misinformation about Russian control of Trump

Its only misinformation if not true.

2. Len
          Holmes

Thanks! Parts of it are indeed close to conspiracy theories. Parts of it are down to basic modelling, though.

Create a flow chart with the various outcomes at various stages in the process. Look at actions from the last four years how the various actors (government departments, courts, political parties, the media, Trump himself, the Attorney General, the House, the Senate etc.) have behaved when they were faced with a similar juncture and use it to inform the likelihood of them behaving similarly at each potential outcome in the process. That leaves at least two or three outcomes with above 5% probability that are quite worrying for the stability of the country.

1. Don Pederson

I find it interesting that those who think DJT is an idiot also think he could pull off such a stunt.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I find it interesting that those who think DJT is an idiot also think he could pull off such a stunt.

USEFUL idiot, the Russian adage goes. He is short-sighted and oblivious, the people around him are able to push him into whatever position they want.

1. Clunking Fist

"the people around him are able to push him into whatever position they want."

Err, true of every President since...

Obama ran out of bombs in the Middle-east, was convinced to destroy Libya, sell illegal weapons to Mexican drug lords, bail out the banks, implement a healthcare system which was a monopoly auction-house for one of his health insurance election-funder buddies, not close GitMo, continue the torture programmes, sell uranium to the Russians, not investigate all the foreign money going into the Clinton Foundation, renew the Patriot Act.

2. Mooseman Silver badge

"I find it interesting that those who think DJT is an idiot also think he could pull off such a stunt."

Enough people seem to want him as POTUS (I'm not talking about his deluded voter base), despite his incoherent and dangerous drivel, that it's not inconceivable. Naturally he would take credit for the "genius" level thinking to do it.

1. Len

Yes, all you need to do is find someone who is vain and a moral vacuum willing to do anything he is told to do as long as he gets the prestige. That's how Boris Johnson was put in the top job in the UK.

3. Don Pederson

And after all this bashing of conspiracy theories...

4. Clunking Fist

"Donald Trump is not going to recognise the outcome of the US Presidential Elections if he doesn't win at least 75%."

WTF? Are you trying to illustrate an example of a conspiracy theory? Or demonstrating that you believe in one? Do you or did you believe that Trump was a Russian agent? That the evidence was "overwhelming"? Or did you believe he was "literally Hitler" and that Madonna was correct to call for the bombing of the White House?

2. Len
      Meh

Anyone who finds the above scenario implausible, do you find Donald Trump admitting to losing the elections a plausible scenario?

6. whoseyourdaddy

"having the internet on our phones will make us smarter."

People set the "5G" masts on fire then wonder in amazement that you knocked out all the other Gs for nearby emergency and medical staff.

Angry mobs should gather to beat these 'tards with a hammer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Repeating History....?

Back in the 1950/60's, as the BBC was rolling out TV and radio services, some of the Welsh nationalists/separatists decided they didn't want such things in their country and took to vandalising TV and radio towers. Net result - no TV or radio for a day or two. And lots of grumpy family and neighbours with nothing to entertain them - kind of back fired on the miscreants.

Similarly in the early 1990's a company by the name of Orange had the audacity to roll out a network across Northern Ireland and in certain neighbourhoods its infrastructure was attacked. Collateral damage in some cases included TV and radio sites that had been operating for decades - resulting in the neighbourhood having no TV or radio. The miscreants got home to rejoice in their victory only to find lots of grumpy family and neighbours.

So, may I suggest that if a 5G service is attacked, all phone services in the surrounding area are either switched off, or severely degraded for a few days afterwards, with lots of local publicity that the poor coverage is caused by the mindless vandalism of national telecomms infrastructure? Obviously make sure Tetra is kept functioning though. The message will eventually get through to these numbskulls.

1. JohnMurray

Re: Repeating History....?

You mean like the village I live in..... Orange (as was) applied for permission to erect a 3G base on the outskirts of the village. The villagers, via the parish council, objected, citing the "known" cancer risk. Permission denied. Consequently, coverage continued to be rubbish, and people complained about that. After a few years, coverage improved a lot. Nobody coupled that to the erection of a "telephone pole" (with no wires on it, but a steel cabinet next to it (with Orange clearly printed on the attached operator plate)). Even though knocking on the "pole" clearly informs you it is hollow. I kept quiet. Now they're complaining about some of them being "done" for speeding. The council installed average speed cameras because the village people complained about speeding drivers. Sometimes, stupidity is incurable and epidemic.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Around here, mummies taking their children to a village school in their Range Rovers complained about people exceeding the speed limit, and the danger to their children (who didn't actually have to cross the road, but that's beside the point.)

A 20mph speed limit was duly installed, a radar trap set up, and virtually all the people caught were mummies taking the kids to school.

2. IareFlash

Love it! Fucktards the lot of 'em.

1. Clunking Fist

"Love it! Fucktards the lot of 'em."

Mmmmm, mummies in Range Rovers...

2. Ochib

The problem with the mobile company, is that they used the slogan “The futures bright, the futures Orange”, which didn’t go down well with a certain group in Northern Ireland.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

5C 5G Coincidence?

Rome fell in the fifth century, these radio waves are the fifth generation. Coincidence? I think not!

1. ratfox

Re: 5C 5G Coincidence?

And you have three upvotes now. Half-Life 3 confirmed!

1. Steve K

..and Half-Life 4 too, now!

2. Paul Herber Silver badge

... and 5 was written V ( V for Virus!!!! ). How much more proof do you need?

This is a rhetorical question, not sarcasm. Just so you are sure.

3. Chris G

5G is also proif the Earth is flat.

The signals can only travel in staight lines, so if the world was round it couldn't work.

The other thing I heard this week is that the CV19 vaccination being promoted by Bill Gates will include a nano mind control chip in the injection.

Presumably if you think bad thoughts it will explode or something.

In other news, has anyone noticed that Gates is spelled with a capital G as in 5G?

1. Tom 38

Not only that, but there are 5 letters in Gates! Open your eyes people!

1. seven of five

But there are five letters in Trump as well?

Beer is save, though.

1. Clunking Fist

1-B

2-O

3-R

4-I

5-S

4. Clunking Fist

And a Pentagon has 5 points.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Telegraph

The Telegraph is now a joke comic for elderly yahoos. It's been predicting the demise of the EU and the Euro for decades, and its readers (I know a few) still parrot it as if, like the Jehovah's Witnesses, their prognostications were not in Nostradamus territory.

But if the pandemic is more or less a wartime situation, though without visible bombs dropping, perhaps we should treat attacking infrastructure as it gets treated in wartime. We don't execute traitors and terrorists these days, but I really think that if the perpetrators were sent to a remote island somewhere (safely Internet-free) for 20 years or so, they'd none of them be missed.

1. Clunking Fist

Re: Telegraph

"The Guardian now a joke comic for elderly commies. It's been predicting the demise of NATO and capitalism for decades, and its readers (I know a few) still parrot it as if, like the Jehovah's Witnesses, their prognostications were not in Nostradamus territory.

9. petef

Correlation is causation

What this really proves is that the coronavirus is building the 5G masts.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>>> And it's often easier to believe a conspiracy theory than to accept one lives in a world one does not fully understand.

Religion and God in a nutshell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Religion, by systematising the irrational, actually goes some way to prevent manifestations of stupidity. I am making a distinction here between religions and cults.

It may seem irrational to tell people the plague is caused by God's anger at what they have been getting up to, and they need to reform their lives, but if it stops them burning old ladies for witchcraft it's an improvement.

And as we are seeing, while most of us think that the "germ theory of disease" is something everybody knows, there are still people around who haven't yet even reached the Middle Ages in their thinking.

1. You aint sin me, roit
        Flame

We have found a witch, may we burn her

God sent a plague because he's not happy with us? But I've done nothing wrong... must be that old woman who looks like a witch.

Does she float?

Burn her!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Zimbabwe's monetary woes (and subsequent hyperinflation) was the result of rampant currency printing, culminating in the creation of an almost farcical $100 trillion bill"

Coming soon to a Western democracy you live in.

1. Rich 11

I have my wheelbarrows lined up and ready.

2. NiceCuppaTea
      Joke

As long as it happens before my fixed rate mortgage deal ends and i can pay for my house for the same price as a mars bar im good with that :-)

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge

The Zimbabwean notes have turned out to be quite a good investment for some people.

12. davcefai

It can get worse!

Malta has a growing anti-5G movement. Big to-do with photos of new masts. The sad thing is:

1. There are no 5G masts yet in Malta.

2. None of the providers have even applied for a licence yet.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity. Remember that "MRI" was initially called "NMR" - Nuclear Magnetic Resonance- but people were frightened of the "Nuclear" bit.

1. Clunking Fist

Re: It can get worse!

"but people were frightened of the "Nuclear" bit."

Let's hope they don't panic if they ever hear what DNA stands for. That's right: there's acid sloshing around inside you, probably damaging your cells. Especially when you use a CELL phone. Join the dots, sheeple.

13. James Anderson

Really sad.

The west and particularly the UK and latterly the US has enjoyed 300 years of economic growth largely on the basis of the pioneers of modern science Hook, Boyle, Newton.

Public discourse and our ideas of right and wrong have been largely based on the humanist philosophers Hume, Payne Bentham et al. and not some schizophrenic from 3000 years ago.

The combination of scientific advancement and rational civil discourse allowed the western world to shoot ahead of the rest of the world ( at about 1600 China was the most advanced civilisation, the Mogul empire not far behind Europe was level pegging with the Ottoman Empire and a hairs breadth above the Incas )

So the great beneficiaries of all this are now abandoning science and looking to cruel and ancient texts for guidance.

1. Sam not the Viking Silver badge

Re: Really sad.

I think you may have inadvertently hit on the root problem here.

Robert Hooke was indeed a pioneer in science.

Captain Hook is a fictional character associated with flights of fancy.

14. Packet

Oh how I love this writer's prose: "fruitcakes of a feather"

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's the Russians, don't you know?

NATO even has a task force to combat 5G rumours spread by the Russians to ruin our Western democracy.

https://ru.euronews.com/2020/04/27/north-macedonia-desinformation-campaign-and-nato-help

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like