back to article The Adobe Flash Farewell Tour 2020: LibreOffice to axe export support for .SWF in version 7

LibreOffice has joined the rest of the industry to hammer another nail in the coffin of Adobe's Flash technology with the removal of an export filter from the suite. Noted by Phoronix, the death knell of the tech that, frankly, most had forgotten was even there in the first place was noted not with fireworks but with a terse …

1. J27

Burn it with fire, Flash is a dumpster fire in 2020.

1. BillG
      Megaphone

Export to HTML5?

How about an option to export Impress to HTML5, including animations?

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: Export to HTML5?

Exactly, I agree. Flash haters are only viewing this through the lens of business outcomes; over the past 20 years there have been hundreds of THOUSANDS of artists, both paid and fan/independent, who have created Flash-based art. Now I've backed up an older version of the Flash installer to allow me to continue to access my legacy art trove, but future potential viewers may have a lot of difficulty accessing this equivalent of an online art museum.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

there was an old shockwave game I downloaded years ago that I thought was pretty fun. Obviously won't run NOW. Has anyone considered an application to EXPORT THESE INTO A BETTER FORMAT?

last I checked certain movie players could play flash videos. so maybe use ffmpeg to convert them? I think it'll work...

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Flash *video* is a piece of piss to access. flv and swf are just containers in this context, and carry standard video types (including h264).

In these cases, ffmpeg doesn't even need to recode, just extract the video from the containter, and stick it into a more common container.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Video#Media_type_support

Usefully extracting other flash media from .swf files is a different kettle of fish, though I have in the past used opensource tools (I forget which) to pull apart swf files, and (e,g.) extract static images that may exist.

2. gerryg

Well, it is open source so you really want it, you can add it yourself or find someone to add it for you

2. VTAMguy

Still companies trying to foist it on users

There are still large companies *cough*Vanguard*cough* who try to convince clients to conduct sales chats with a Flash client, and get all confused when you tell them you'd rather eat vomit. They see it as a failing of the stupid customer who won't cooperate rather than as a massive techincal fail from their employer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still companies trying to foist it on users

Disney's partner site requires flash to be able to do anything - the only way they will accept designs etc. for approval. Knowing how badly their IT is behind (EDI project we were told would be live Q4 2017 has still to materialise to even beta stage) they'll probably insist we carry on using it beyond the end of the year as well.

Anon for obvious reasons.

2. a_yank_lurker

Companies run by imbeciles.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Shurely you mean, it's a real mickey mouse operation?

3. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Mushroom

The only way to be sure,...

IS TO NUKE THE DAMNED THING FROM ORBIT! <LOL>

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: The only way to be sure,...

In the word of Strongbad emails

DELETED

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Strong Bad is mostly in Flash, so what will happen to him?

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Good riddance? Bad isn't good anyway.

2. Captain Scarlet

They have mostly moved to YouTube on the HomeStarRunner channel, however the lack of interactivity sucks (Although the hidden bits are added at the end)

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Terminator

that, and the Cybermen

4. DJV Silver badge

LibreOffice has Flash/SWF support?

They* say you should learn something new every day! Well, LibreOffice having Flash/SWF support was something I'd never realised until reading this article and nor was it anything I'd ever wanted.

* No, I don't know who "they" are, either. Sometimes I wish they'd just shut up!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: LibreOffice has Flash/SWF support?

They*

In true Usenet style, the footnote should be

*TINT - There Is No They

5. FordPrefect

Lets just hope that Flash isnt a legacy technology that gets a COVID lifeline, flash needs to die on time and on budget! I mean something has to happen on time and on budget in the IT industry sometime?

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Remember Internet Explorer?

6. Mike 16

Only a decade of so ago

I ran into a fellow with a plan to convert TUTOR (PLATO) content to Flash, just after Job's pronouncement. I didn't have the heart to tell him.

OTOH, if he did it within a short timeframe, maybe the world got a few good years out of the effort.

7. Peter X

And still, I can't catch up with anything on Channel 4, since the "All 4" website will only use Flash, and it won't work under Linux. Unbelievable!

1. John H Woods Silver badge

All 4

Presumably that means it's not accessible with iDevices?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: All 4

I don't know about All 4, but I come across sites that absolutely insist you have Flash installed UNLESS it detects you are using an iDevice, at which point it suddenly all works without Flash. I wasn't bothered enough to spend too much time testing what the site was looking for, but simple browser identification strings didn't seem to be the answer.

1. Peter X

Re: All 4

I just had a quick try with an iPad-like UA, but it (All 4) just wanted me to download the app. :-(

...so, PirateBay it is!

2. terrythetech

It does work. Surprised the hell out of me as when I complained to Channel 4 a while back about it not working they said Linux was too niche to support. ITV has been broken and mended a few times in the last 6 months but is working now. Using Firefox 75 and Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Of course, if they had a clue, they would realise they wouldn' be "supporting Linux", but simply supporting open standards.

3. irg

The site does work, but C4 have made some poor choices. (Nearly?) Everything from Derry Girls to Spaced works On Demand, and live broadcast works as well, without flash. Android and IOS devices do get told to download the app(and seemingly are blocked from normal web player usage), simply pretending you're using a desktop will bypass it. The mobile block looks even more self serving when the site is already using a responsive layout.

Separately, Channel 4 has good IOS and Android apps, and a primitive Windows Store app which iirc lets you bypass the login requirement.

If Channel 4 had half the money the money the BBC spends on their website this clearly wouldn't be an issue. Ideally, the Beeb would let the other broadcasters use their platform for a nominal cost, so that we wouldn't have to deal with this.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Word 2010 users should upgrade to LibreOffice."

Pfft. Office 2010 works perfectly. Excel 2010 still outperforms later versions in workbooks with lots of formulae.

1. circusmole
      Happy

Re: "Word 2010 users should upgrade to LibreOffice."

I'm still on Office 2007 - works perfectly.

1. SecretSonOfHG

Bah. Mom is still on 2003, the latest one before the ribbon. Runs fine under Windows 10 and shockingly fast

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
          Flame

Ah, the Ribbon. A horrible, horibble, horrible UI that Microsoft for some reason seems to think is now an industry standard.

2. Michael Habel

2k3 FTW!

2. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
      Windows

But I bet my Excel 2019 outperforms your Excel 2010 in terms number of crashes per day, strange decisions around how undo works, and how long bugs are still around that got reported when Windows 3.11 was the new kid on the block.

I admit, all of those are bad things, but hey...

9. Dave559 Silver badge

It was a neat feature

It was a neat feature, and one, along with PDF export, that showed that you didn't need expensive closed-source software to get results.

Admittedly, I think I actually only used it once, to convert a presentation for display on the web (since, at that time, almost everyone had the Flash plug-in, which was more than you could say for either Impress itself or a certain other presentation application that you would have to pay for, with limited platform availability), but I was glad it was there.

But, yes, Flash is now a liability, and it would be great if there was an HTML 5 exporter instead.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: It was a neat feature

I remember when it was known as the “skip into language”.

10. Paul J Turner

A few last good memories

I did like the Xiao Xiao Stick Figure Fighting SWFs back in the day.

Fortunately, they are preserved, E.G. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw4wzwYeZ0Y

In fact the style still seems to be somewhat of an apprentice piece -

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stick+figure+fights

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like