back to article European programmers take an extended lunch break as GitHub goes TITSUP* again

Big sack o' source GitHub is having a hellish week as the Microsoft tentacle suffered wobbles aplenty even as it tipped the scorn bucket over the emissions of the US administration. Having fallen over in dramatic style on 21 April, seen its notifications totter on 22 April, and had trouble with Actions Workflows in the small …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
    Pint

"we don't know too many developers who would refuse an extended luncheon"

Surely it depends on who's paying.

2. KorndogDev
    Linux

Did not notice

All development and dependencies kept locally.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Did not notice

I noticed when I tried to create a PR. So I notified the rest of the team and switched to a different task for an hour. By the time I returned Github was back. No source code was harmed or lost.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I noticed when I tried to create a PR

PR = pull request?

I am not and never was a Github user but isn't pull request their fancyspeak for "merging two (and exactly two) branches together"?

Serious question: why couldn't you just go "git merge the-other-branch"? If I understand your situation correctly, that's what I would have done in my environment, which is supported by, but not dependent on, two code forges (Gitlab and Gitea).

Interested under what circumstances an upstream repo being down would cause the show to stop.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A pull request is more than just "git merge". It often encompasses a discussion and includes links to issues it is supposed to fix.

To fully replace Github's webinterface, you'd need a mailing list or other discussion forum and a bug tracker.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like