back to article We're in a timeline where Dettol maker has to beg folks not to inject cleaning fluid into their veins. Thanks, Trump

Reckitt Benckiser Plc, the British maker of disinfectants Lysol and Dettol, had to hastily issue a statement this morning telling people not to ingest or inject their cleaning products in the hopes of fending off coronavirus. This came just hours after the world watched slack-jawed as the President of the United States …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Suggestion

Presumably a thermonuclear explosion would also destroy the virus.

Just putting this out there, its worth testing, I'm very smart, what does this red button do ?

1. Shadow Systems
      Facepalm

Re: Suggestion

Oh great. I just heard Dexter's sister Didi asking "What does this button do?", Dexter replying "Don't press the button!", & Didi happily pressing the button to cause an explosion.

To quote Gir from Invader Zim, "We're all doomed! WHEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Enjoy a pint or five & don't forget to eat those packets of nuts... =-Jp

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

It seems not at all a coincidence that Mark Grenon, the largest producer and distributor of chlorine dioxide bleach as a “miracle cure” in the US, wrote to Trump earlier this touting his product.

Speaking of his base, an interesting, if incredibly morbid, article from Politico: "Elderly Trump voters dying of coronavirus could cost him in November."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/23/how-coronavirus-could-upend-2020-battlegrounds-204708

1. John Gamble

Was looking to see if anyone had mentioned this. Thank you. Grenon is, of course, the fellow who is famous for his miracle product, MMS.

Sadly, The Register no longer carries the tombstone icon.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
          Dead Vulture

Sadly, The Register no longer carries the tombstone icon.

Yeah, shame that! :-)

2. Blank Reg

It's not just his elderly supporters. The idiots gathering in crowds protesting the lockdowns will be disproportionally affected, and I would bet they are mostly trumpites.

3. sanmigueelbeer
      Joke

Pssst! Wanna know a secret?

Word around Wall Street has it that someone is lobbying of the POTUS the idea that dipping the body in liquid nitrogen will get rid of Coronavirus completely.

So invest in liquid nitrogen manufacturer. Now. Before Wall Street opens on Monday.

And you didn't hear this from me. Get it?

1. Rol

Seeing as everything that pours from his dysfunctional mind gets readily consumed by his rabid followers, I'm guessing his voter base is going to diminish some, and America's average IQ jump a few points in the coming weeks.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: IQ point jump

We can certainly hope. From your mouth to their dumb ears.

It sounds negative, but I've grown tired of this country wasting millions upon millions of manhours, never mind millions upon millions of dollars, dragging these Neanderthal types out of the muck of thier own creation.

Let Darwin have a bit of leash, I (sadly) have begun to believe; constantly saving these inbreds from themselves has only diluted the gene pool. Good pool upkeep *does* demand occasional chlorine treatments... :-p

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"Word around Wall Street has it that someone is lobbying of the POTUS the idea that dipping the body in liquid nitrogen will get rid of Coronavirus completely."

Hey Mr Trump, I think once a body has been dunked in a vat of liquid nitrogen, you'll find that there is a prophylactic effect and there is no longer any risk of catching this or any other virus, ever.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Careful. You'll start the masses hoarding nitrogen and then we'll have a shortage of that.

4. DCFusor

So, we're afraid to blame the educational system for failing to educate people enough to make things like this not a problem?

Oh, that would require effort to fix, and it's easier to blame some current clown than to apply accountability to ... huge numbers of indoctrination system promoters from several generations past.

After all, we all know they were perfect. The history they (re)wrote about themselves, which was pushed into you at public school instead of useful knowledge, says so.

When will this become the fault of an educational system that graduates people who can't balance a checkbook, don't know enough to know how to start a business, and increasingly can't do simple reasoning, simply don't know diddly about how things work, and are completely dependent on someone else, in this case a politician, to know what to do?

I think partisans are looking in the wrong place if they actually want to solve the problems here.

If people were taught critical thinking - vastly useful in all domains other than being simple to con followers of dishonest leaders (but I repeat myself) - perhaps they'd just laugh at the idiots (and better ones would be available to elect) and move on.

Till then, we'll have to depend on Darwin to reduce the stupidity I suppose.

Seems brutal but it does work.

1. Mark 85

Re: Sug@gestion @DCFusor

So, we're afraid to blame the educational system for failing to educate people enough to make things like this not a problem?Too long to copy the rest.

You are correct in this. Critical thinking went away starting in early 70's with the teacher's union deciding we needed more sheeple, less independence, etc. We are now reaping what has been sown. And since Darwin or really hardly any science is being taught, his law is running amok in the population.

As an American, I fear for the Republic and the Constitution. Both are under attack by both parties.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Its almost like STATE education wanted to create easily led populations. I expect Eton et al still feature critical thinking in their education.

1. Stork Silver badge

Eton, hmm, lets see, can we think of some alumni from there? I can think of Mr. Mogg, Mr. Johnson and Mr. Cameron.

I _would_ trust them to arrange a piss-up in a brewery.

3. P. Lee

I'm not sure "not injecting dettol" reaches the realms of needing to be taught critical thinking. If you ignore the big "POISON" warning on the bottle, I'm not sure there is much which can be done for you.

Take a look at Tim Pool's observations on what Trump said and what the media are saying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRdybiEpIjg and see whether the comments from Dettol were necessary and whether El Reg blaming Trump for the comments being required is reasonable.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"So, we're afraid to blame the educational system for failing to educate people enough to make things like this not a problem?"

The old saying about horse and water might be a factor.

1. Psmo
          Headmaster

You can lead someone to an idea but you can't make them think?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While I probably give the man with the hairstyle too much credit, I'm pretty sure he meant that it's worth finding out what it is in bleach that makes it effective (high content of acid? ;)

p.s. and yes, I did hear what he said. He shouldn't have said it, or anything else before thinking of consequences, but then, it's not that Mr T is the Consequences Man, is it? ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bleach, in the form of either sodium hypochlorite or hydrogen peroxide, is a just-about-stable substance that essentially has "too much oxygen". Given a small push, that oxygen is liberated and, well, oxidises anything and everything it can find. Which is another way of saying it burns up (on an atomic level) everything, and microbes and germs don't take too kindly to that.

Pah I see your H2O2 and raise you FOOF

1. Sanguma

Re: Suggestion - FOOF?!?

dioxygen difluoride?

What about the threat posed by Dihydrogen Monoxide?

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

How is it that this very stable genius and Chosen One (prophesied by no less than PT Barnum; There's one born every minute, no less!!!) has not been informed of the dangers of this chemical compound? I'm sure he will produce a Presidential Degree banning this dangerous chemical once it is pointed out to him.

Come on, we all are in desperate need of a good belly laugh this coronavirus season!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_parody

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Suggestion and too much oxygen

Well this validates Trumps comments, bleach contains too much Oxygen and therefore will release it in the lungs when ingested, has no one else seen his genius? It means will need far less respirators will be required.

1. Sanguma

Re: Suggestion and too much oxygen

Well, it's one way to fire up his fan base. I'm sure they will be on fire to re-elect him after breathing hydrogen peroxide. They will also feel a burning urgency to ... do something ...

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"too much oxygen" OOH bleach releases oxygen! That's what our lungs extract from the air into our blood stream isn't it "I'm not a doctor. But I'm, like, a person that has a good you-know-what" but sounds to me like we need to inhale more bleach.

1. zapgadget

They should probably vape it, to be certain.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

it's worth finding out what it is in bleach that makes it effective (high content of acid?

We know "what it is in bleach that makes it effective". Anyone with a basic understanding of chemistry knows.

Household chlorine bleach has a pH around 12. It has no acid whatsoever.

Perhaps in the future before posting you might want to spend a few seconds doing a little research.

3. Mooseman Silver badge

Bleach? Acid?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump's Base

He's signalling to his anti-vaxxer, bleach swigging base that he's one of them.

"Them" being pseudo-science woo-woo merchants.

Re: Trump's Base

Unfortunately the dead can't vote (Chicago excepted)

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Chicago excepted"

Chicago isn't unique in that respect.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Vote early, vote often?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You must come from Belfast. Orange Order person visiting family recently moved into a Protestant area: "And have you by any chance any sadly recently deceased relatives who might still be on the electoral roll?"

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

It's originally American, from Tammany Hall, before it crossed the pond.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Still Irish in origin.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Other places are available in N Ireland. And other political persuasions. Allegedly.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Of course. I'm afraid that by the time I realised I had written "must" instead of "may" the edit window had closed.

2. Stork Silver badge

It was also common in Portugal before 1974

2. ava007

You mean North Carolina.

3. big_D Silver badge

Isn't that what Darwin would have called a win-win-situation?

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
      WTF?

No, the latest news is that Trump claims he was just sarcastic through the whole thing.

He sure fooled me! I didn't get a hint of sarcasm from him throught the whole ordeal.

1. jake Silver badge

About a week ago, in regard to something completely different, I wrote "The only issue is figuring out who is lying when they retroactively claim to be joking ... ". Simply replace the word joking with sarcastic.

I don't think it's all that difficult to spot the liar here. Perhaps we should call it "doing a donald" ... he's certainly trying to duck the well deserved criticism.

I can't believe there are still people trying to support him and his idiocy. The mind absolutely boggles.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Indeed. It was obvious from the video (and not just an editted clip, before the trumpets moan) that he was not being sarcastic.

And even if he was, that's even more bloody irresponsible!

2. Dagg Silver badge

Correct, yanks don't understand irony and sarcasm...

1. jake Silver badge

What, all 300,000,000 of us? I'm shattered.

1. ClockworkOwl
            Boffin

Duh!, he was being sarcastic, Jake...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I thought it was 360 million. It's all right, some of us have read Henry James, Philip Roth, Joseph Heller...we're not all Philistines on the right side of the Big Pond.

1. batfink

I thought Philistines had been banned from entering the country anyway?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

No, that's Israel. We let anybody in who meets the donation threshold.

3. Rol

He hasn't the capacity to comprehend sarcasm, let alone use it in a sentence. This smells of after the fact PR team spin, or truth bleaching, as it will come to be known.

4. Mark 65

To be honest, I don't se what the problem is. If we have truly descended that far when it comes to intelligence that you have to explain to someone "no, don't ingest or inject disinfectant" then it is clear the gene pool itself needs disinfecting. If someone is stupid enough to inject or ingest cleaning agents in the hope of killing the virus rather than themselves then, frankly, Darwin has his man/woman. As a species we are snowflaking ourselves into oblivion.

1. Rol

People will do desperate things in desperate times, and will readily clutch at any straws of hope to save themselves or a loved one.

That is why Trump's mutterings are so dangerous, and sadly, not just to his cohort of drooling followers.

3. redpawn

Donald J. Trump

The "J" is for Sarcasm

1. Rol

Re: Donald J. Trump

You are a comedy genius.

Please present this in any store and claim your free bottle of spirit. I'll pay for it somehow.

1. redpawn

Re: Donald J. Trump

Is that like the "any" key, and do I have to fly to claim it?

3. John Robson Silver badge

Is he even capable of a full sentence?

Not limiting it to intelligent sentences but complete, structured, use of the English language.

Heck “The cat sat on the mat.” would do.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Is he even capable of a full sentence?

Only when he's reading the prepared script. It's easy to tell when he wanders off script and then eventually, probably accidentality, finds his way back to it.

I've watched a few of his performances live on CNN here i the UK and it's terrifying. I'm surprised he's still having face to face PR meetings though. I'd have thought he'd have spotted the UK technique of having the reports Skype/Teams/Zoom in. That would make it even easier for him to interrupt, mute or cut off anyone asking "awkward" questions.

Looking at the frustration on the reporters and the experts faces, I'm rather surprised no one has bitten the bullet and called him out there and then, called him an idiot and walked out. I'd do do with no fear of being "banned" from future briefings since I'd not want to be there ever again.

At least at the UK briefings, they generally tell it more or less how it is, don't interrupt questioners part way through, give them a chance at a follow up, and only then move onto the next one and never turn it into a vote winning campaign meeting. I'm not naive though. There are obvious moments when questions don't get answered properly or are avoided. On the whole, I'd rather the UK method that the Trump method.

Are you saying that "You're fake news" isn't a valid response to a question? !

I'm still trying to work out why he invites "fake news" to the press briefings. Clearly, in a vague nod to social distancing, the number of reporters at the briefings are vastly reduced and he could choose to only allow the "real news" in. He doesn't seem to be very clever. Or could it be that he's so clever and smart that I'm just too dumb to recognise it?

1. jaywin

Because when he doesn't invite them, even the non-"fake-news" media types start boycotting him, and it looks bad when even Fox are pointing out you're trying to silence the press.

1. Franco

If you're a fan of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, he did a show a few weeks back (5th April) about how Fox is no longer Trump's go to channel. Now it seems to be something called One America News Network, which is even worse

2. Rol

Like hiding a tree in the woods, he invites "fake news" so he can distract the gullible away from his 24ct fake news.

Not unlike some of the Right to Life brigade who will merrily stab to death doctors claiming they are murderer's, while not appreciating the fact, it is they, who without question, are the murderer and not abiding by their own "implacable ethics"

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: no one has bitten the bullet and called him out there and then

I'm afraid you're not being realistic: no reporter would do that, because what they do is a job. And the job comes with a paycheck, and the paycheck pays their bills.

Andwhatabout those Trump-hating media? For them it is also a JOB, i.e. if they remove themselves from those briefings, they're going to lose a part of their audience, which means their paycheck and their jobs. And the weirder Trump gets, the better for media outlets, the more captivated their paycheck providing audience.

And, sorry, this applies EXACTLY to the daily "question section" in the UK too. The media reps ask questions, then the government minister or any of those officials provides an answer - almost never replying to the actual question (why are we 20 mln face masks short? Well, last week we provided 32 mln masks). And then "reporter" nods to that non-reply and the show goes on, instead of standing up and saying: Excuse me, Minister Hancock, now, can you reply to my question I asked just before your non-reply, i.e. why we are 20 mln face masks short?

So, whatever they think, they shut up and continue these dance moves every day. Ah, how lovely we have those conferences (hurrah for free press!), and "let me be totally honest with you" and "it's based on science" mantra bullshit every day.

"I'm afraid you're not being realistic: no reporter would do that, because what they do is a job. And the job comes with a paycheck, and the paycheck pays their bills."

Have you never quit a job because the paycheck is just too good to resist, no matter how bad the job gets?

"(why are we 20 mln face masks short? Well, last week we provided 32 mln masks)"

This, of course, isn't unique to politicians. Anyone in an administrative position is liable to do the same. They're asked about outputs and reply about inputs; the media really ought to call them on this. The underlying reason, of course, is the old reality distortion field: messages from the front line always get passed back with a bit of a favourable twist at each step and with enough steps the twists add up to 180 degrees. Providing the minister's private office keep them busy they don't get near enough the front line to find out for themselves.

2. Mark 85

Pro tip: If he uses words larger than two syllables, he's reading a script. Otherwise, it's just him.

1. Rol

"Constutional"

"No. One more time sir"

"Constitural"

"CON STI TU TION AL. CON STI TU TION AL. Say it with me"

"CON STI TU TION AL"

"That's it. Now on your own"

"Constitural. Argghhh! Can't I just Justin Beiber it!"

"I'm sorry sir, but that technology can only do auto-tune. You have to say the word"

"It's banned"

"Sir?"

"Contitural is banned. I'm banning the constition"

"I'm sorry sir, I'm not understanding your orders, perhaps if you could type it"

"Constiturional"

"The auto-spell needs you to get somewhere close to the word sir"

And so it was that all construction in the United States was banned at the Presidents order.

It depends if the words of more than two syllables are actual dictionary words. If they're not that's just him as well - covfefe.

4. phuzz Silver badge
    Facepalm

A few weeks back, one of my friends was explaining to her kid the importance of washing their hands, and how soap would kill the virus.

"In that case mummy, why don't we just eat soap to kill the disease?"

Only three years old, and already plenty qualified to lead the dumbest nation on Earth.

(PS, I'm assuming the QAnon loons are trumpeting it as a sign of how close he is to washing the deep state or some such bollocks?)

1. jake Silver badge

"qualified to lead the dumbest nation on Earth."

Do you really think that everybody in any given country is automatically "dumb" just because a minority of citizens voted an idiotic old man into office?

What country are you from, again?

Ah yes... I'm from the UK, the land that voted brexit and the tories....

ARRRRGH, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
          Joke

but..but..but, we've now got the BoJo government impementing a half trillion £ debt fuelled social support program, all industry under government direction and our downtrodden grass root workers elevated to hero status! Isn't everyone happy now?

The virus? well if you're going to be picky...

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Do you really think that everybody in any given country is automatically "dumb" just because a minority of citizens voted an idiotic old man into office?"

I suppose it depends on the type of average used. One incredibly dumb person could drag the average down by a large amount even if you start with 300 million stable geniuseseses

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've been talking to some friends and none of the dope smokers have had any symptoms or problems at all, they are all very chill abut this ... should I mention it to the President?

1. Tom 7

Goves daughter got a test cos she was coughing and she's a bit rastafarian by the sounds of it. Well the sound was twitter deleting all her posts but it sounded like someone ripping rizzlas from their packet.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Are Miracles Ever Dodgy and Imagined Easily Dismissed to Remain Hidden and Widely Unknown?

I've been talking to some friends and none of the dope smokers have had any symptoms or problems at all, they are all very chill abut this ... should I mention it to the President? ...... Anonymous Coward

Well now ..... that would put the cat amongst the pigeons for sure if something so simple and readily universally available proved wonderfully effective and life-saving.

Do you think you would be told it is a problematic solution which requires further self-serving government investigation before anyone can even begin to think about a grand roll out.

Crikey, that would have everything descending into Great Pantomime Farce with Popular Populous Revolutionary Actions taking place front and centre both virtually and practically everywhere, methinks.

Has the premise been tested?

And yes, surely Presidents and Prime Ministers should be made aware of all radical breakthroughs to avoid them being realised in general common knowledge as the conveniently misinformed puppets of sub-prime mastering muppets.

6. holmegm

Trump didn't tell anybody to inject or drink anything.

He mused aloud in what is basically word salad ... but he certainly didn't tell anybody to inject or drink anything. Reacting as though he did makes *you* look nuts, not him.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Stop

Dangerous talk leads to dangerous outcomes

Quotes from the transcript below. Decide for yourself if you consider this extremely dangerous behaviour from the american president, bearing in mind the evidence that stupid people will take what he says as gospel (i.e the couple who took the hydroxychloroquine left over from their fish because they believed Trump when he said it was a cure (and in case you've forgotten the man died and the woman almost did)).

Right. And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that. So, that, you’re going to have to use medical doctors with. But it sounds — it sounds interesting to me.

later in the conference

REPORTER: But I — just, can I ask about — the President mentioned the idea of cleaners, like bleach and isopropyl alcohol you mentioned. There’s no scenario that that could be injected into a person, is there? I mean —

BILL BRYAN (leads the Science and Technology Directorate at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security): No, I’m here to talk about the findings that we had in the study. We won’t do that within that lab and our lab. So —

TRUMP: It wouldn’t be through injection. We’re talking about through almost a cleaning, sterilization of an area. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work. But it certainly has a big effect if it’s on a stationary object.

transcript in full at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/transcript-what-trump-said-about-disinfectant-uv-light-at-briefing_3325402.html

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Give a child the information in the wrong order.

As someone posted above. It's not that they necessarily are saying eat/inject the bleach. It's that (in the word salad) the question was "why can't we instantly develop a drug/spray/injection that can kill this virus like bleach and disinfectant can".

And yes, perhaps in 20 years time some new drug or chemical could be injected in your body to attack specifically and only viruses. But now is not that time, and suggesting "we can use teleporters, I've seen the work on them, they are going to be the bestest teleporters" is not necessarily insane, until you realise the person asking thinks we do already have them.

Similar with the comments on the anti malarials, it was not an insane comment, it was extremely wrong, as it failed to note the time required to test and produce them to "finish it quickly, it will be over in a week, it's very much an over exaggeration, we will have the bestest treatments" etc. :(

PS, and turns out the anti-malarial treatments are not working as well or worse causing complications for covid patients. And others put it better below. These "treatments" are not "bleach" and the statements are dangerous word salad, but based on desperate hope and some helpful science. It seems if the chief medical advisor had the best advice ever with real help, a certain someone would still turn it into the worse advice and a dangerous call!

1. Dropper

No sorry. I watched this mess live (I'm still at a loss to explain why).

Word salad or not, he did state we should try injecting it as a treatment, then went on to insinuate that it could be used to clean the lungs (admittedly no delivery method was mentioned).

He was talking about disinfectant. No mention of bleach (thankfully, as some use this as a hideously painful form of suicide). He did not mention other products, he did not say develop a drug like disinfectant. He said we should try inject it, to treat the infection inside. In-fucking-side (profanity directed at Trump, not you).

I get what you're saying. He regularly rambles on, emitting an unintelligible word-salad of nonsense.. so it stands to reason that maybe the same happened here. It did not. He said the words, in the correct order to make a sentence. On the one hand I was delighted for him, he said an actual sentence in English. On the other I was in a state of shock for about 3 minutes, unable to respond, after hearing what that sentence was.

And yes, he did mention using UV light, but as he clearly has no understanding of science, he does not recognize how dangerous this would be. It's unfortunate that someone allowed him to learn of this method of cleaning surfaces without at least an attempt to educate him first on its dangers.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Oh my. So worse than I thought? As said, I try to give the benefit of doubt to people. Like, I'm sure Ozzy Osbourne is a nice person, but who even knows what they are saying!

Scary if you put them in charge of the entire country though. And I feel for many who have had to deal with those with dementia, and I've know a few who had it, and things went south quickly.

What do you do to help people avoid harming themselves and others when their comprehension starts to wain? I think the best option is to keep calm, take things slowly, and carefully retread the steps and hope to steer things back on track.

2. felixk

An now you people force me to defend Trump in public.

lglethal (two posts up) was kind enough to post Trump's words and then proceeded to read only the part that reinforced his preconceived notions. Ignoring the PR department's push to declare everything a joke or sarcasm, here is what Trump said:

> And is there a way we can do something like that […]

*SOMETHING LIKE THAT*. Not "literally that".

What I find amazing is that people who can't read (or refuse to do so) work so hard to prove that Trump is an idiot. You try ad-libbing; it's not easy. Trump's predecessor mumbled if the teleprompter fell over, and his current opponent Biden mumbles incomprehensibly even when the teleprompter is working. Why expect perfection from Trump? Anyway, that reminds me:

What's the difference between Trump and Biden?

When Trump speaks, you have to suspend your disbelief.

When Biden speaks, you have to suspend your incomprehension.

Cheers,

Felix.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Facepalm

I'm not saying you need to be thumped with a two by four clue bat, but perhaps we could try something like that.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

You try ad-libbing; it's not easy.

He's not meant to be ad-libbing in Coronavirus Task Force Briefings, making shit up and having brain-farts. These aren't meant to be two hour long propaganda rallies where he can 'big himself up' with lies and bullshit.

This will go down as one of his classic "I'm the smartest man in room. Aren't I? Aren't I?" performances.

3. Dave K

> And is there a way we can do something like that […]

And the answer, to anyone with even a quarter of a brain cell is "NO".

The problem here is that Trump has these thoughts and instead of discussing it privately with medical experts who would quickly point out why this is dangerous, pointless, completely doomed to failure and why it hasn't been mentioned before, he goes and rambles it out in a press conference - forcing numerous medical professionals and bleach manufacturers to have to fire out statements telling everyone not to ingest/inject toxic chemicals.

That's the problem with Trump. He opens his gob in front of the TV cameras without engaging his brain or discussing his thoughts first with those who know better. This is dangerous stuff and can risk lives. Well, the lives of stupid people who might actually be tempted to try something daft like this anyway.

There's nothing particularly wrong with having wacky ideas, but there is a lot wrong without fact-checking them before you shout your gob off on TV.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

I strongly suspect that anybody who dares to contradict his Trumpness in any kind of meeting is quickly and summarily fired. This leaves a room full of dire sycophants who are either entirely out for themselves regardless of what it does to the country or anyone else, or just try to suspend their disbelief and to try to survive the idiocracy by never disagreeing or being very careful not to appear to disagree.

Trump didn't get to be such a complete and utter narcissist by letting anybody question him.

1. alexmcm

We now know that Trump wasn't at the cabinet meeting before the press conference, and turned up 5 minutes before they went in front of camera. The medical expert quickly told him of the studies findings regarding UV light and heat, and then they went out to face the press. Trump watched the presentation, and then gave his full-on stream of consciousness in front of millions. That is why he is asking the medical experts, live in the press conference, if the BS coming out of his mouth is something they could research.

You've got to wonder, what was he watching on Fox news that kept him from the cabinet meeting?

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>What's the difference between Trump and Biden?

One is a politician, the other is a reality TV actor

1. jason 7

On the other hand both are alleged rapists and gropers with dementia/psychosis.

Great choice in November.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

I do sometimes get the feeling that if a well off older white male politician or media person doesn't grope women, it's probably because he's gay.

3. Updraft102

All those dummies at Cedars-Sinai need to be educated too. Willing to give it to them?

Hope this link makes it through whatever spam filters are here.

https://streamable.com/e/w7rpbn

They call it Healight, a UV light emitting catheter for disinfecting bronchial passages.

2. Chris G

Re: Dangerous talk leads to dangerous outcomes

I think it leads to that moment when a qualified medic thinks to herself " WTF am I doing here?"

On a You Tube video I watched yesterday, some moron in the comments was saying 'Check out ClO2 Chlorine Dioxide, it's an MMS ( I had to google that) a Miracle Mineral Supplement' !

Darwin must be off his face with so many contenders for his award this year.

3. The Axe

Re: Dangerous talk leads to dangerous outcomes

"the couple who took the hydroxychloroquine left over from their fish because they believed Trump when he said it was a cure (and in case you've forgotten the man died and the woman almost did))."

Well the man was a highly educated engineer and his wife was a Democrat supporter who donated loads of money to it. So why would she believe someone she considers the enemy? There is talk that it was murder with the wife taking some of the poison to cover her tracks.

2. IceC0ld

the problem IS though that PotUS45's main support are not known for the clarity of scientific process, and bear in mind that the mere mention of the Chloroquine Phosphate 'remedy' and one guy from Arizona swallowed it from fish tank cleanser, and died ...............

now, we could just hope that the slightly barmier followers might do us all a favour and Darwin themselves out of the gene pool, but that is to be too flippant

the REAL issue here is that the PRESIDENT of the most powerful nation on earth is spouting absolute bollocks, and NO ONE is saying "hey, just slow down a bit here, that is NOT what we said"

another thing to consider

within a day or so, America will have officially lost more people to covid19 in two MONTHS, than they did in twelve YEARS in Vietnam :o(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

POTUS Supporters

A heck of a lot of them are :-

- Anti Science

- Believe that the earth is 5000 (or thereabouts) years old.

- Anti Vaccination

- Pro Gun

So don't get on their lawn and try to tell them that they should not drink Lysol while sitting in a UV sunbed unless you happen to be in a Mk1 Abrams (other types of Panzerwagen are just as suitable)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Paris Hilton

Re: POTUS Supporters

Now that they are starting to swig and inject bleach we should see the effects of evolution in action. lol

2. Paul Herber Silver badge

Has anyone tried shooting this virus? Just asking.

1. Gary Heard

North Korea (allegedly) did... To the first cases in the country... No sorry, it was the carriers that got shot.

1. sanmigueelbeer

North Korea (allegedly) did... To the first cases in the country... No sorry, it was the carriers that got shot.

NK Official: I've got your COVID-19 test result.

Patient: Am I positive or not?

NK Official: It was nice knowing you, comrade.

<BANG!>

Maybe that's why it's essential to keep gunshops open in the US.

3. jake Silver badge

You're more likely to survive shooting the virus than shooting bleach ...

4. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Obligatory XKCD: https://xkcd.com/1217/

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"So don't get on their lawn and try to tell them that they should not drink Lysol while sitting in a UV sunbed"

I wouldn't even try. I'm a biologist; I think evolution by natural selection works.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Apparently 8% of UK voters in a survey believed 5G spread coronavirus.

As a biologist, is there any way you can think of that would allow this belief to give a prod to natural selection? Asking on behalf of the Bavarian Illuminati.

1. Gordon 11

Apparently 8% of UK voters in a survey believed 5G spread coronavirus.

Some of them believe there is no Coronavirus at all, and the whole thing is just a ploy so that the Government can implant a tracking device in everybody (and every body) under the guise of a vaccination.

The fact that this would require every NHS worker in the country to be in on the scam seems to pass them by.

Not sure what they think has happened to those who have died.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Obvious - they found out the truth and have been eliminated.

"As a biologist, is there any way you can think of that would allow this belief to give a prod to natural selection?"

The NHS could deny them treatment when they catch coronavirus or anything else, from ingrowing toenail upwards.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Anti Vaccination"

Has anyone modelled the projected population growth of ant-vaxxers over the next 12 months?

2. cdrcat

> might do us all a favour and Darwin themselves out of the gene pool

One needs to kill oneself before spawning, otherwise ones death has piss all Darwinian effect (kin selection matters, but stupidity matters more).

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Darwin Award can also apply to people who are alive but have lost their ability to reproduce (due to their award-winning actions).

3. cornetman Silver badge

Listening to him randomly droning on makes George W Bush look fairly smart. Now I didn't think I would ever be able to say that.

What is it about USians that they keep voting in complete morons? He doesn't even have the self-awareness to realise that most of the people in the press room are inwardly facepalming.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

"What is it about USians that they keep voting in complete morons? "

A corrupt political system.

When you have a choice of rich moron A and rich Moron B, you take your chances.

At least in the UK with have caps on spending, so we get a choice of several morons.

1. Teiwaz

When you have a choice of rich moron A and rich Moron B, you take your chances.

Sounds plausible.

But it was fairly obvious from the start that he was the butter side down toast, no contest.

1. Dagg Silver badge
            Facepalm

When I was in the states years ago I remember being told "A fool and their money is soon elected!"

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

At least in the UK with have caps on spending, so we get a choice of several morons

Yes, spoilt for fucking choice unfortunately...

2. Bloodbeastterror

@cornetman

Yes, entirely correct. I thought that GWB was an appalling dunderhead and rejoiced when America overcame its inherent racism to elect Obama, a man of culture, elegance and thoughtfulness. Then Trump... Nuff said.

Then I saw an interview with GWB a couple of years ago and he had become the statesman I wish he'd been able to be during his presidency. Not of Obama's standard, but a whole lot better than the pressures of the presidency allowed (I'm trying to be generous here).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not of Obama's standard

I was an Obama-man like most liberals (scum as we are) around the world, but then, when he got that Nobel peace price, while his Obama-land waged a couple of sizeable wars, and then, what happened with Snoden (TRAITOR! TRAITOR! TRAITOR!), I kind of took off these rose-tinted glasses :(

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I have read that the GWBs hang out with the Obamas (who else is there to reminisce with?), perhaps it's catching.

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

What is it about USians that they keep voting in complete morons - in fact Hillary got more votes than Trump but the Republicans have been redrawing the voting boundary's for years (it's called Gerrymandering) so you see a lot of states with a majority of Democrat votes but a majority of Republican senators and congressmen. For example Louisiana has a Democrat governor but Republicans hold majorities in both chambers of the state legislature.

Plus there's the Will Rodgers quote which has defined American politics for years, "I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."

4. Joe Dietz

Ahem, _we_ didn't vote him in. He _lost_ the election by 3.5 millionish votes. The Electoral College voted him in.

1. Chris G

"The Electoral College voted him in"

Oh, you mean that supposed buffer that is intended to avoid the uneducated masses from voting in a Populist candidate?

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"makes George W Bush look fairly smart"

He even makes John Prescott sound as if he speaks well constructed sentences.

6. jake Silver badge

"What is it about USians that they keep voting in complete morons?"

Probably the same thing that causes much of the rest of the developed world to keep voting in complete morons. Or is your country of choice exempt?

1. Tom 38

To be frank, Boris Johnson is a twat, but he is no moron. He is extremely erudite, a competent debater, well read and informed, and very very sharp. He uses those skills to be a twat, but he does have them. To be a senior politician in most countries in the developed world, you must have these skills - if you do not, you would not reach the senior levels.

This "Boris the Buffoon" persona is an attempt to disarm his opponents, to make them underestimate him.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Within his family he is called "Alex" and "Boris" is known to be his assumed persona for politics.

But he is not very erudite. He is fairly good at rhetoric, which they teach you at Eton and the Oxford Union, he has Murdoch and the Barclays behind him, but as his tutors and editor have said, he is lazy and fact-averse. He is just about educated enough to fool people who are not well educated into thinking that he is, but concealing it.

Harold Wilson, in a day before the Internet, was extremely erudite, a brilliant statistician, and quite good at pretending not to be. I suspect history will treat him much more kindly than it will Johnson.

Trump has learned one lesson and learned it well; saying stupid stuff on a big platform keeps your opponents out of the media. Bleach injections drive Biden out of the public eye. It really works, if your goal is to be re-elected.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

BoJo is 100% about BoJo - every message from him starts with "I", or comtains "me"... never "we". He has zero capacity to give a shit about anyone else other.

Humurous buffoon and all that aside... this is the charmer that had his PA buy his wife her birthday, anniversary and christmas presents. Every year.

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Word Salad? You mean like "Crazy Orange Village Idiot Disease"?

"Word Salad? You mean like "Crazy Orange Village Idiot Disease"?"

Just remember, by the time the next election is over, of heaven forfend, the end of the next one, some village will be getting their idiot back. It could be yours!

1. jake Silver badge

Not mine.

At that point, the former Idiot in Chief will be spending time in NYC and Palm Beach, both about as far from me as he can possibly get in the Lower 48 ... Thankfully.

5. oiseau
      Flame

Mused?

He mused aloud in what is basically word salad ...

Oh, I see ...

The same way you are also musing bullshit salad now?

O.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Mused?

People downvoting "oiseau" should probably re-read the message he/she is replying to!

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"He mused aloud in what is basically word salad"

Which is a very dangerous thing for a man in his position to do. If everyone else were to do the sensible thing - discount all his blurtings by 100% it wouldn't matter but unfortunately that isn't going to happen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He is obviously not considering the fact that the mere mention of this will cause some of the terminally stupid to Darwin themselves by drinking/injecting toxins when he is relying on their votes in November.

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Trump didn't tell anybody to inject or drink anything."

I completely agree with the first part of what you said. He never actually, quite, says that this is something people should try. But he's "musing out loud" in front of a vastly large audience in such a way as to strongly suggest something while leaving wiggle room to plausibly deny it later. He's a master of the "won't someone rid me of this turbulent priest" situation. And like in that original situation, people can die because of those musings. At the very least, he's irresponsible, especially for someone in an influential position.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Surely, to be irresponsible you have to start with a sense of responsibility. Actually, I'll go further, you need sense.

He was right in on respect, though - drinking disinfectant will be a step forward as it should cut down R0. It could even be classed as a cure as Covid-19 will not need to be mentioned on the death certificate.

Also, didn't somebody mention heat - cremation could also be tried as a cure...

8. Tom 38

He mused aloud in what is basically word salad ... but he certainly didn't tell anybody to inject or drink anything.

holmegm, when you've gone to the effort of justifying what his statements, how does it make you feel when he now says he did say that, but he was trolling the media, to see what they would do?

Does it make you feel happy ("haha owned those stupid lib media"), or do you die a little inside?

Does he both "tell it how it is", and also need explanation of "what he really meant when he said this was .."? Is the enemy both weak and pitiful, but also strong and feared?

9. oiseau
      FAIL

Of course not ...

Is that right?

It would seem that a good number of those anybodies to whom he didn't tell to inject or drink anything actually thought otherwise and being fellow dimwitts, they followed suit.

O.

10. Andrew Moore

A little embarrassing- he's actually admitted to say it but trying to shrug it off as being "sarcastic",

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. cornetman Silver badge

Listening to Trump droning on, makes me think of that slightly drunk older relative at the family get-together that has somehow got hold of the microphone and everyone is silently hoping that they would just .... stop. Please.

That poor woman must have been really wishing for the proverbial hole to swallow her up.

9. mark l 2 Silver badge

It beggars belief that the most powerful man in the free world (and you could say most influential because of his position) doesn't know that injecting or ingesting disinfectant is not a sensible thing to do. My 9 year old nephew has more common sense than Trump.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that someone said "we are developing a cure that is derived from disinfectant, and seeing if it can be used as an antiviral" and he ran with it and spouted rubbish.

You *can* do that in a business meeting. "Hey, Jimmy said about making the posters, red, let's also add some big stars and a trumpet to it", you can't at a *medical briefing* "Hey, Dr Jimmy said about using some anti-virals, lets run with it, also give the patient the chemo, the adrenaline, and just to be safe a lobotomy!!!"

1. Robert Sneddon

Miracle Mineral Solution

aka MMS. It's a snake-oil substance that some Evangelical grifters in the US sell, claiming it can cure everything from cancer to homosexuality and even socialism. When added to water MMS makes a bleach-like substance. It has been used on autistic kids, administered by enema because of Andrew Fucking Wakefield and his obsession with children's intestines being the source of some kind of bacteria that causes autism.

The story is that the purveyors of this stuff sent President Trump a letter a couple of days ago announcing the cure to COVID-19 was this bleaching agent hence the President's deranged word salad outburst last night.

At least one US State health department in Maryland has already fielded dozens of calls and email enquiries about the efficacy of drinking or inhaling bleach to cure COVID-19.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Miracle Mineral Solution

Drinking bleach will cure any ailment you have, after drinking it you'll never get sick again.\

IOW don't do it you'll die.

2. Andy Non Silver badge

Credit to Trump for one thing though; I didn't think it was possible I could ever have a lower opinion of him, but he's managed it with the injecting disinfectant thing. I'm now absolutely convinced he's a total twat and a moron, no lingering doubts left. I fear for America and the rest of the world with that nut job in control.

1. Scroticus Canis
        Holmes

"a total twat and a moron" - too much credit ...

... a twat at least has some depth, while a moron has an IQ between 60-79. Trump has no depth and he is not that smart.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "a total twat and a moron" - too much credit ...

Moron is a prophet in the Book of Mormon, along with Ether.

I mention this because Joseph Smith demonstrated so thoroughly that yes, much of the population really is that illiterate and stupid, that Trump was just a throw of the dice away.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dare I suggest

That the stable genius, being the smartestest and most important man in the universe, be the first to be administered these treatments? I assume they'll act as a vaccine as well, but he'll know for sure.

Re: Dare I suggest

Obviously it's so important that clinical trials should start immediately and equally obviously the keenest proponent of the scheme would surely be the first to volunteer. And none of that blind control nonsense either. That's for all these scientists who take forever to tell you things. Just get on with it.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The lack of social distancing on the podium would imply he's quite likely to catch it sooner rather than later. But I'd be prepared to bet that he and anyone near him is being tested frequently.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've always been astounded by that. The UK briefings have for weeks, if not months, been very carefully choreographed to show social distancing, and all journalist questions are asked by video link. Plus, the main person on the briefing always has someone noteworthy (ie, science, medical) alongside to take and answer questions.

Trumps briefings on the other hand seem to consist of lots of nodding yes-men, standing behind and close to him, slapping him on the back, and not one of them gets to make a contribution or say anything noteworthy...... And a room of journalists, who have obviously had to travel to get there.

You couldn't make it up.

To add to that, I've noticed in the Cuomo briefings, his staff, and the reporters are all kept at a distance from each other.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's pretty much how American corporates used to operate. In one of P G Wodehouse's stories, a mere Nodder, IIRC, owing to a bit of cleverness gets promoted to a Yes-man. There is a scale even among such tasks.

"a mere Nodder"

It goes back a long way. The records of the Wakefield manor court from about 1300 have many references to an attorney called "Hugh the Nodder".

2. DJV Silver badge

"he and anyone near him is being tested frequently"

Just not tested for intelligence, obviously!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "he and anyone near him is being tested frequently"

Groan - get ye back to bed.

11. Dropper

Cowards

I tried my first Clorox-Tini.. shaken (of course).. and aside from a little hoarseness, difficulty breathing, retching, full-on vomiting, diarrhea, rectal bleeding and mouth burns.. I didn't notice anything untoward. I think he might be on to something here.

Coat

Re: Cowards

Ah.... But do you have covid-19? !

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

now - yes..

2. Outer mongolian custard monster from outer space (honest)
        Joke

No, they dont. But they didn't have before, therefore Its worked 100% in preventing catching it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're doing it wrong ..

I'd suggest alcohol, at about 40% concentration, spiked with a weak solution of quinine infused water .. Cheers!

12. Dr. Ellen
    FAIL

"Orange Man Bad!"

I wasn't there. I don't know what Trump said. You read the papers. You don't know what Trump said. All we know for sure is that whatever Trump said, the media are going to trumpet (snrk) the worst possible interpretation of it.

1. oiseau
      Facepalm

Re: "Orange Man Bad!"

I wasn't there. I don't know what Trump said.

I see ...

I was not there either, I was actually ~ 8400 km away.

But I know exactly what Trump said.

And I know exactly what Trump said because I heard him say it while I watching the briefing 'live' on my computer screen.

So yes, Orange Man Bad -> ie: dumb asshole.

O.

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      WTF?

IT IS ON YOUTUBE. IT WAS BROADCAST LIVE. MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WITNESSED IT. HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU?!

Sorry for the shouting, guys. I just . . . I can't anymore. Being this willfully stupid and ignorant should have more profound and rapid evolutionary consequences. Or it should hurt. A lot.

Well if you believe America is real and not something made up on the internet

1. cdrcat

Cristobal Colon is still alive running the show from a secret bunker located under the Vatican. You’ll notice that Christopher Columbus Is an obvious anagram containing “Hitler”, which says it all. “Americans” are actually spy robots - they have to be loud to cover up the noise of their internal machinery (Machiavellian has the same root). If the mods publish this, I will be replaced with a machine intelligence: if the quality of my comments improves then it proves it (or if they get worse it’ll be because they programmed the replacement to act dumb).

1. Sanguma
            Angel

Cristobal Colon is still alive running the show from a secret bunker located under the Vatican

Uh, no, the Vatican had a Colonotomy, after a Colonoscopy showed untoward symptoms ...

2. batfink

Ah - so now we know the origin of amanfrommars...

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

Well if you believe America is real and not something made up on the internet

Finland! That's the "country" that was invented on the Internet. Do you not know anything? FFS!

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

And in case you want to retort with something like "Oh, but Finland always tops the rankings for happiest countries!", well what does that tell you about the existence of a thing called "happiness" in this world of ours? IT DOES NOT EXIST!

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Finland! That's the "country" that was invented on the Internet. Do you not know anything? FFS!

Finland the country is fake, but the people are real

America the country is real, but all the people are internet deep fakes

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

From your mouth to God's ears.

2. jake Silver badge

As I've been saying for several decades (and around here for at least 11 years), Stupidity SHOULD hurt! ... On the bright side, we've got a chance of kicking the senile old git out of the Whitehouse come November.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Maybe he could use that Wyclef Jean song as a campaign anthem.

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU?!

If only some reporter were brave enough to stand up in one of his briefings and ask that while the world is watching.

4. eldakka

HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU?!

@Dr. Ellen seems to be an unquestioning Trump supporter who isn't even capable of finding the myriad videos of the conference on youtube or on the many news sites that host it (obviously not Fox and friends, whiuch is probably the only news sites this person reads) to see for themselves what the fake president said. What more answer do you need?

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

A recording is available for anyone who wants to know, and yes he is an actual fucking idiot. The only thing he didn't suggest was drinking Brawndo.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I wasn't there."

Why not? Are you located somewhere where you can't get access to a US news channel locally or access live streaming of the "briefing"? If so, why are you even commenting when others like me on the "wrong side" of the Atlantic DID see and hear exactly what he said.

I'm guessing you are dyed in the wool Trump supporter. Surely even you must be starting to wonder if this guy is all there.

5. Tomato42

"Orange man bad"

ah, yes, the Russian operative and fascist favourite: psychological projection

yes, I'm referring to the 8 years of "black man bad" (see also: "Dijon mustard" and "tan suit")

6. jake Silver badge

Are you really this stupid, Dr. Ellen? Or are you just being sarcastic?

Presumably, unless this was some horrific supervillian accident, he chose to be that color !

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You should - and I mean this on an entirely personal level - hang thy head in shame, peddling shit like this. Who the fuck do you think you're fucking kidding? Fuck off with that attitude, you scumbucket. You're not even interested in the truth. One prays you are alone in life as you seem to be. Others depending on you, woe betide them.

13. Mummy's 'ickle soldier

Screaming amounts of rampant twattery

So I listened to this guy talk about:

Putting light into people, because, you know, science says that light kills bugs.

Science says that dettol and bleach kill the virus, so maybe we can put that in people and it will, you know, with the light, make a medicine.

Fire also kills the virus, a nuclear explosion at ground zero kills the virus, Concentrated Nitric acid kills the virus.

Why don’t we use these on people too yeah?

Utter Berk (in the original meaning of the word).

1. Dr. Ellen

Re: Screaming amounts of rampant twattery

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1903 was awarded to Niels Ryberg Finsen "in recognition of his contribution to the treatment of diseases, especially lupus vulgaris, with concentrated light radiation, whereby he has opened a new avenue for medical science." -- nobelprize.org

Scientists are reporting development and successful initial testing of the first practical "smart" material that may supply the missing link in efforts to use in medicine a form of light that can penetrate four inches into the human body. Their report on the new polymer or plastic-like material, which has potential for use in diagnosing diseases and engineer new human tissues in the lab, appears in ACS' journal Macromolecules. -- https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111116143049.htm

Then there are the two people from Arizona who each took a teaspoon of fish tank cleaner -- which did indeed contain chloroquine phosphate. Even if that was all that was in the tank cleaner, a teaspoon of it would be a massive overdose almost certain to kill. Nobody can speak so clearly that an idiot can't make a Darwin Award of it.

1. Chris G

If you read the article in Science Daily, you would know the the light (NIR) was not being used as a treatment so much as part of a delivery system for targeted drugs and that it may be useful for some form of diagnostic use. Bears no relationship to killing viruses with UV at all.

2. Dr_N

@Dr Ellen's Nobel prize quote.

Cutaneous Tuberculosis is a bacterial skin infection, not viral.

Are you one of those people who quotes Nobel Prizes to peddle scam cures, fuel magnets and other such ?

2. Cederic Silver badge

erm. You do know that light is used to treat people that are ill?

It's used inside them too.

It's used inside their lungs too.

Or maybe you think the NHS is lying: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/photodynamic-therapy/

Luckily someone's already exploring the viability - note that this press release predates the news conference: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1385818/000165495420004215/aytu_ex991.htm

1. Mooseman Silver badge

Light sensitive medication. Very good. Not using light to kill a virus.

14. 45RPM Silver badge

Those of us with an IQ greater than that of a brain damaged dog have known since before Trump got elected that he’s a dimwit and a liability. Those who couldn’t see that have been an irritation and a source of bafflement. We’re now way past the point where those who defend the indefensible are merely a source of bafflement. They’re actively part of the problem.

Antivaxxers, Trumpists, NRAers, Brexiteers &c &c, please find another planet to muck up, and stop wrecking ours.

1. Dr. Ellen

Whatever you think of Trump - and the polls are split - there is one thing you cannot deny: he is NOT Hilary Clinton.

1. 45RPM Silver badge

You’re telling me. For all her faults, she isn’t such a colossal wuckfit.

2. jake Silver badge

And neither are you, Dr. Ellen. Does that make you a very stable genius? Or does that make your comment one of the most egregious non-sequitur bits of attempted misdirection recently seen in this august forum?

3. Steve K

I’m not Hilary Clinton either

I’m not Hilary Clinton either, and neither is my wife.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>>>>Whatever you think of Trump - and the polls are split - there is one thing you cannot deny: he is NOT Hilary Clinton.

Is he the Bolivian Navy on maneuvers in the South Pacific... ?

1. 45RPM Silver badge

I don’t think he knows where Bolivia is or even where the South Pacific is. He might be Thomas the Tug Boat on manoeuvres in a sewage farm though.

5. oiseau
        Facepalm

@Dr. Ellen ...

Still trolling?

Come on, don't be daft!

O.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Looking back at Dr. Ellen's posting history, s/he is usually fairly sane. There is one mention of her/him taking medication for a thyroid problem - maybe there is a problem with supply?

1. oiseau
            Facepalm

... maybe there is a problem with supply?

Most probably.

With oxygen supply to the brain.

Look, I'm not a doctor ... ---> 8^D !

But look, in "Everyone Says I Love You" (W. Allen - 1996), the lone dyed in the wool Republican son in a liberal Manhattan family collapses and is rushed to the hospital. The doctors explain that he had an arterial blockage and his brain was not getting enough oxygen.

Upon removal of the blockage, his brain starts functioning properly and he resigns from the Conservative Republican Club to become a Democrat.

Must be true, I saw it in a movie.

Cheers,

O.

15. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge
    1. Dagg Silver badge
      Joke

I always reminded of the spitting images skit "The presidents' brain is missing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xExv97cb3GE

16. Danny 2

Fake science, heroic leader

The fake liberal media can snipe from the sidelines but Trump has all the best advice and is in a position of responsibility. People are really surprised he understands this stuff, so we should back him 101%.

He recommended hydroxychloroquine to his supporters as a cure, in the face of studies that claim it kills more patients. He applauded his supporters gathering en masse to protest the social distancing.

Recommending his supporters to inject themselves with bleach to kill the virus, well within three days that is provably scientifically and medically correct.

He should lead from the front on live TV, I'd watch that. Peroxide might even cure his orange-face.

1. Cederic Silver badge

Re: Fake science, heroic leader

He recommended hydroxychloroquine to his supporters as a cure

No, he did not.

He said that it was a promising treatment worthy of further investigation. Clinical trials in multiple countries on multiple continents suggests that trained medical professionals agreed with him.

Recommending his supporters to inject themselves with bleach to kill the virus

Oh dear. About the only thing you got right in your post is "fake liberal media". Sadly you appear to believe them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fake science, heroic leader

@Cedric

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-fda-experimental-drugs-coronavirus

' On chloroquine, Trump said it's shown "very, very encouraging early results. And we’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately.”

Addressing potential safety concerns, Trump noted that it had been used previously in treating malaria, “so we know if things don't go as planned, it’s not going to kill anybody.” '

Turns out "I'm Not A Doctor" Trump was wrong on that last part.

Along with causing a shortage through panic buying so people who actually need the drug can't get it readily any more.

Trump is a liability. It's actually good he's stopped doing these briefings, after having a temper tantrum this weekend, because he's not being feted as some great saviour.

No doubt he'll be on Twitter sniping at windmills and pushing MMS and other ridiculous/dangerous "cures" from various fringe kooks.

2. DJV Silver badge

@Cederic

Whoosh! Go find a dictionary and look up the word "sarcasm". You might learn something (oh, sorry, I retract my last sentence because, with you being a Trump supporter, you are incapable of learning).

1. Cederic Silver badge

Re: @Cederic

The sarcasm was in response to the false claims. The false claims were made nonetheless.

Also, stop calling me a Trump supporter. I'm not. I just don't believe the media coverage of him because it's even less reliable than he is.

17. The Central Scrutinizer

You're all fake news.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Your awl fecks yews.

1. jake Silver badge

"Your awl fecks yews."

No, I used a chainsaw to take out the majority of the yews. An awl would take forever.

18. the Jim bloke
    Headmaster

Time to re ignite the "Make America Great Again" campaign

Only this time the logo is a boot kicking an orange clown..

Problem is that people who voted for trump arent going to admit how completely they fucked up, so they will double down and insist he is a misunderstood genius..

They need a mechanism to allow them to save face, something that makes it not their fault..

(this only applies to the percentage that recognises there IS a problem, but I have some residual hope that not all of them are totally lost)

A campaign with the message that anyone who bought into Trumps Make America Great Again, should be asking for their money back, reframes the issue as them being conned and ripped off (not inaccurate), with the fantasy of financial reward, but would not be popular with any other political candidate as it brings up the spectre of penalties for failing to keep election promises.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Time to re ignite the "Make America Great Again" campaign

"something that makes it not their fault"

Well, it turns out that the Idiot in Chief is a commie sympathizer. Who knew? Shirley no good, decent, Patriotic, God fearing Republican could possibly vote for THAT ... McCarthy must be spinning fast enough to light up the entire shoreline of Lake Michigan!

Nixon's looking pretty good right now, eh ?

1. jake Silver badge

No.

19. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The question just has to be asked ..... Is US President #45 Madder than a Hatter*?

Is POTUS Trump exhibiting classic late/early signs of dementia?

Is the following, sort of evidence .......

He has called golfing his "primary form of exercise", although he usually does not walk the course. He considers exercise a waste of energy. ...... In December 2015, Harold Bornstein, who had been Trump's personal physician since 1980, wrote in a letter that he would "be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency". In May 2018, Bornstein said Trump himself had dictated the contents of the letter, and that three Trump agents had removed his medical records in February 2017 without due authorization ......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump

And where is Melania these days?

* Mad as a hatter

1. jake Silver badge

Re: The question just has to be asked ..... Is US President #45 Madder than a Hatter*?

Senility has been my take on it for quite awhile, amfM.

See this post from October of '17 ...

"And where is Melania these days?"

Who cares? She's no Nancy ...

(My spall chucker insists that should be Melatonin. Appropriate, methinks ...)

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: The question just has to be asked ..... Is US President #45 Madder than a Hatter*?

"And where is Melania these days?"

Who cares? She's no Nancy ... ....jake

Indeed she is not, jake, ....... hence the interest? :-)

Ask and IT answers and it shall be answered ........ https://www.businessinsider.com/melania-trump-daily-routine-first-lady-2018-5?r=US&IR=T

The AIMachine knows practically anything and most probably also virtually everything too ‽ . :-)

Poe's Law Rules too :-)

And here's something to read over the weekend which might just agree ...... The Artilect War: Cosmists Vs. Terrans: A Bitter Controversy Concerning Whether Humanity Should Build Godlike Massively Intelligent Machines by Hugo de Garis (2005-02-28) ..... if you have money to burn.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wait... was that a coherent post from amanfromMars? «faints»

Surely it is the End Times now...

(Either that, or social distancing is preventing him from topping up at his regular enriched tea parties?)

amanfromMars is widely believed to be an AI, or just a Markov chain seeded by Fox twitter feed.

This might just be the debug log.

(There is another theory that Fox's twitter feed is just a Markov chain fed by amanfromMars)

More a Sign of the Times rather than Foxy News Items although both be definitely possible.

Certainly stranger things have happened and never stop happening, Yet Another Anonymous coward.

The FOIA document, obtained by the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), was produced by a little-known U.S. government organization called the National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence (NSCAI). It was created by the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) and its official purpose is "to consider the methods and means necessary to advance the development of artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning, and associated technologies to comprehensively address the national security and defense needs of the United States."

The NSCAI is a key part of the government's response to what is often referred to as the coming "fourth industrial revolution," which has been described as "a revolution characterized by discontinuous technological development in areas like artificial intelligence (AI), big data, fifth-generation telecommunications networking (5G), nanotechnology and biotechnology, robotics, the Internet of Things (IoT), and quantum computing." ...... https://www.sott.net/article/433040-Techno-Tyranny-US-National-Security-State-Using-COVID-19-Pandemic-to-Implement-AI-Total-Mass-Surveillance

More than that, it would be now for so many, too terrifying to say, and they need to be suitably dealt with first and foremost ‽ ‽ ‽

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

ояебу!! ска пацталом!! a specimen of a high class humo(u)r, lotsapoints!

3. Danny 2

Erethism, also known as erethism mercurialis, mad hatter disease, or mad hatter syndrome, is a neurological disorder which affects the whole central nervous system, as well as a symptom complex, derived from mercury poisoning. Erethism is characterized by behavioral changes such as irritability, low self-confidence, depression, apathy, shyness and timidity, and in some extreme cases with prolonged exposure to mercury vapors, by delirium, personality changes and memory loss. People with erethism often have difficulty with social interactions. Associated physical problems may include a decrease in physical strength, "headaches, general pain, and tremors after exposure to metallic mercury" as well as an irregular heartbeat.

Historically, this was common among old England felt-hatmakers who had long-term exposure to vapors from the mercury they used to stabilize the wool in a process called felting, where hair was cut from a pelt of an animal such as a rabbit.

20. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

I'm in line for the injection

Right behind uncle Donny... As soon as he has his, I would remember I left my oven on and leave.

21. Chris G

A bleach alternative

Ivermectin came up as a potential Covid-19 treatment in my reading the other day, it's a well known anti-parasitic,can be administered to humans and has fairly well known effects. At the moment regarding Covid-19 it has only been demonstrated In Vitro but is showing promise.

What really interested me though, was the price of an anti headlice Ivermectin based shampoo in Europe was a few Euros, the same in the US was apparently about $100!

That absurd profiteering may well be part of the reason why so many are likely to be taken in by snake oil ads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A bleach alternative

Ivermectin 3$, liability insurance $47, profit $50.

1. jake Silver badge

Make that Ivermectin $0.10, etc. etc.

I live here, and trust our medical professionals with my life (hopefully not literally any time soon ...). It's the insurance and pharmaceutical companies who are bleeding us into the poorhouse.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The "Liability Insurance" argument is such a pile of horse manure. My kids pediatrician does not accept my health insurance but over the years we still use him as a cash paying customer because we are comfortable with his service and I am lazy to find on in network. A few months back he charges is $25 for a vaccine then sent us a bull for $350 as the balance due for the vaccine. When I called to clear the bill up I was informed that the normal cost is $375 but as a cash paying customer it was only $25.

There is no doubt the cost of liability insurance is a factor in medical cost but it is also a smoke herring. I use my health insurance as Catastrophic coverage and pay for all services cash. In most cases the services cost us less than the co-pay our neighbors make for similar services.

Imagine if house and car ownership were also only available through your employer - but that would be ridiculous.

2. Adelio

As a british citizen I use the National Healt Service.

It surprises me that people in the "greatest Country in the World" (USA) pay what they pay for Health care.

Having to pay an exhorbitant amount of money for health insurance, AND then getting stung for?? (in the uk we would call it Excess)

Actually it seems line over 20 million do not have any medical insurance so are really buggered.

And the price you pay!, O.M.G no wonder so many people in the US appear to limit what they have treatment for. (O I have cut off tow finfs using a circular saw, which one can i affort to get sewen back on)

2. Sponge

Ivermectin - Re: A bleach alternative

You were half a year ahead of the curve.

https://flccc.net is a website for a bunch of drs using Ivermectin. There's plenty of trials info, and more importantly, actual practice results - but there's also fear, ignorance, and supposed medical experts decrying things that aren't happening.

One of the drs who developed a novel protocol for critical sepsis patients is on their board and has protocols for critical hospital care, outpatient case, and also a prophylaxis protocol. Ivermectin plays a part. The doctors who know that it works are lambasted if they mention it. That leads to people trying whatever they can find on the shelves - possibly veterinary versions. Some of those might work, but others have additional medications that are meant to be toxic. That's not the cocktail they want to experiment with.

On the plus side as a medication, it's very inexpensive, it is well tolerated, the frequency of use is low, it can be used throughout the virus cycle.

On the negative side as a medication, it's very inexpensive, the frequency of use is low.

But there's still plenty of information leaking out. There are many channels on YouTube where doctors talk about the use of ivermectin: Dr John Campbell, drbeen medical lectures, FLCCC connect, Whiteboard Dr, Trialsite news, Paul Marik, ...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Ivermectin - A bleach alternative

Even Frontiers Media (specifically Frontiers in Pharmacology) have called the FLCCC's so-called "studies" full of unsubstantiated claims and pulled the abstract on March 1st.

I, personally, don't feel that trusting my life to what appears to be a few self-serving media whores making a living from that side of YouTube is a very good idea. YMMV.

22. DrXym

The first thing I thought when I heard about this...

... was that those cretins (and cretin is the right word) who advocate drinking "Miracle Mineral Supplement" (otherwise known as industrial bleach) would cream themselves. And lo they did.

23. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Angel

I listened to Trump

And I've been taking his covid-19 cure all night

On one hand its made me smell like a clean toilet, and its dissolved all my kidney/gall stones.

On the other hand I'm in hospital having my stomach pumped and this guy in a frock and a collar is reading something called 'last nights' or something.. not too sure, the ringing in my ears is getting louder and this strange tunnel of light has appeared....

24. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Injecting sanitizer, and other tales..

The problem with this is that Trump has said so many far fetched things that it's hard to tell if he's being serious. And it's especially hard for certain members of the populace that have not been blessed with critical thinking, eg. the people that voted for him. Also, since Trump's sense of humor could best be described as vestigial IMO, you have a good recipe for confusion.

1. the Jim bloke
      Facepalm

Re: Injecting sanitizer, and other tales..

If its being said, publicly and to mass media, by the head of state of one of the most powerful nations on earth - its serious. If he doesnt understand that - its even more serious.

25. nxnwest
    Flame

Ultraviolet

Putting the "U"ltraviolet in "sUppository".

"Ask your Doctor about..."

Icon cos it may burn..

26. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Sad

That is, it's not sad that there is a limit to how long you can hide stupidity, and the more the chosen pink stable genius speaks the more difficult it has become for him to hide his stupidity.

The sad thing is that in a two party system it's so hard to vote for the assumed enemy party and against the idiot and many choose the party and the idiot instead.

To be honest, there is indeed a large third party too, the party of those who do not vote at all, a very good choice for those who do not want to vote nor for the idiot or the enemy party.

27. quartzz

as Bruce Willis said, "the President just asked us to save the world....by ignoring what he says".

28. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

We need an El Reg "Inner Dialogue" competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d57zJr82dhQ

29. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Is Ellen Muth available?

I'm wanting a Dead Like Me special edition where George is busy with all the people who take Trump's advice. Daniel Uhlfelder is practically promoting it already.

Wait, how did the world get to this state? I need by debugger.

30. ava007

I wish a circus in Way Way Out would take this clown away. Pence too - ask him a question and he mumble-dances around it until boredom kills everyone in the area. If you read his lips, he's praying for his god to remove the virus. Just like he did during the Aids problem in Indiana when he was (a one-time) Governor.

One interesting thing about the Stable Genius Presidency: he and Pence are proof there are no gods.

One more thing thing: search for Clorox Chewables. That picture has circled the planet faster than COVID-19.

>he and Pence are proof there are no gods.

Cthulhu disagrees

(Is it slightly worrying that Cthulhu is my phone's autocomplete dictionary?)

2. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

It is proof that there are malevolent god-like beings or devils though.

31. sanmigueelbeer
    Coat

Lead by example, Donald. Lead by example

First Donald recommends everyone take chloroquine.

Next, Donald recommends injecting disinfectants and cleaning fluids.

I think it is high time for Donald to put his money where his mouth is and lead by example.

32. gkroog
    Facepalm

Americans don't need Trump's help chugging disinfectant...

They were at it just fine before he said anything:

https://reason.com/2020/04/25/no-poison-control-calls-arent-suddenly-spiking-after-trumps-disinfectant-comments/

33. james7byrne

No Politics Please

What does this article have to do with IT? Let's not ruin this site with inane political sport. I am so sick of politics, it's ruing discussions about anything these days. You can swing a dead cat without hitting someone with a political opinion nobody wants to hear.

34. PassiveSmoking

Education

This is what happens when you treat education as an afterthought for generations, where learning to recite from the text book and tick the right box on a multiple choice test is more important than learning how to think critically, evaluate sources, and apply logic and reason.

America is a lost cause, but make no mistake, unless we fix our education system we're headed the same way. We're a couple of generations away from also being a nation of bleach drinkers, at best.

35. teebie

Hello, yes please, I would like to take medical advice from the man who doesn't know the word for 'brain'.

36. Fenton

Raking

At least his idea of raking a forest was harmless.

His idea of buying Greenland was bonkers but again relatively harmless (diplomacy aside)

His idea of building a well, financially bonkers but not a killer (directly anyway)

But mentioning fish tank cleaner and bleach to cure Covid is beyond the pale especially as he knows

he has a lot of uneducated supporters (not showing your love of them here are you Trump)

Surly somebody in his family has to guts to tell him to think before he

opens his mouth.

37. DLSmith

We apologise profusely.

Please forgive those misguided dolts who elected this moron as president. Even though he lost the popular vote, our antiquated Electoral College still gave him the victory.

Hopefully this nightmare will end next January, and it will only take a few decades to repair the damage his administration has done to our country and relationships with out allies.

Elect a clown, expect a circus.

1. sanmigueelbeer

Re: We apologise profusely.

Please forgive those misguided dolts who elected this moron as president

And please forgive the fut nucks who DID NOT VOTE.

Hopefully this nightmare will end next January

No. It won't. (Because Putin says so.)

1. jake Silver badge

"And please forgive the fut nucks who DID NOT VOTE."

That I cannot do. And it's pronounced fuck nuts. We're mostly adults here (I know, I know ... ), tell it like it is.

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

I did vote. Not that it made any difference what so ever, and never has.

38. Neoc

"I'm not a doctor. But I'm, like, a person that has a good you-know-what"

...Toupée?

39. Glenturret Single Malt

Bleach is strongly alkaline, not acidic. Just as nasty when in contact with the human body.

40. jason 7

Anyone seen Biden recently...

...well not much and now his wife does the talking for him. She is more desperate to be First Lady than Joe wants to be President.

Well I don't think he remembers that much now.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Anyone seen Biden recently...

Bad troll. No cookie.

1. jason 7

Ahh a dementia denier.

Joe Biden...sponsored by Tena Men's Pants.

Shame the DNC rigged so Bernie got pushed aside. But then again Bernie never wanted to win.

Very sad.

1. jake Silver badge

Very poorly implemented troll. Not even worth pointing at and laughing.

Remember back when Usenet was new and trolls actually had original thoughts of their own? I miss those days ...

1. jason 7

Well enjoy Joe's dribbling come November. That's if he hasn't quit with 'health issues' in the next couple of months due to the sexual harassment claims.

1. jake Silver badge

Why would he quit for mere unsubstantiated claims? Trump GLOATED about his ability to grope about at will, and still the drooling idiots voted for him.

1. jason 7

It's not really Biden's sexual misconduct that's the issue it's the dementia. How can a man run for President when he can't even utter a complete sentence without getting lost. Just watch any of the recent interviews from the past 6 months. It's scary to watch. It also explains Biden's short, clipped responses at the primaries. He was instructed to keep it short so he didn't meander and get lost. Well that and the fact he has NO policies other than 'Not Trump'.

I'm not fan of the idiot Trump but it appears certain that the DNC want to lose this time round. After all they make a lot of money with Trump in charge. All those great tax cuts for the rich do not discriminate between Dem or Rep. Trump is a low IQ muppet with reading difficulties but he will tear Biden apart in any debate.

Democrat voters need to wake up that they are taken for granted and basically spat on by the DNC.

You deserve better then the scraps the DNC offers you. So stop throwing away your vote. You don't have to vote Team Blue at all costs just because they tell you to. Let them know you are prepared to walk away. Otherwise..it will never change.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like