back to article Cortana, why are you still here? Microsoft makes the long-suffering assistant chattier for more countries with new Windows 10 build

Microsoft began the run up to the weekend with a pair of new Insider builds for Windows 10 and the return of an old friend. An otherwise humdrum Fast Ring emission in the form of build 19613 was enlivened by the realisation within Microsoft that there are parts of the world outside the US of A as Cortana had more functionality …

1. msknight

But if you ask it to convert a gill...

...will it know if you mean a UK gill or a US gill ?

1. BenDwire Silver badge
      Pint

Re: But if you ask it to convert a gill...

What, like two fingers or one finger?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Windows

"Cortana is destined for the Microsoft 365 world"

Good, that means I'll never have to deal with that shit.

3. TwoSheds30619

Reg standards

Does Cortana understand the Reg Standard Units?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

4. fidodogbreath

Cortana had more functionality turned on for other countries including Britain

"Yippee! Cortana just got more features!"

-- No One, Ever

5. Nifty Silver badge

Does this update mean the registry setting I just put in to stop Cortana from sending my local disk searches to MS will get reset?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Luckily there is a tool to help you manage that: ShutUp 10.

Thanks to another Reggie for giving the tip.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: registry setting

Don't fret... it will be a totally different key that will take the hacks a week or so to find out and publicise.

Why? JUst because MS loves F*****g us around. That week will give them huge amounts of slurpage from us poor sods who have to put up with their shite.

6. Chris G

I was going to say, I have no interest in talking to my computer but then I realised I talk to it quite often. That's if shouting at it counts as talking.

Bu the same token, I talk to my car, tools in my workshop, the cat and on the odd occasion, clouds, you can stuff Cortana though, I don't wsnt a response.

7. Nunyabiznes

Cortana undead

Cortana is still here for the same reason that there is always dog poop in the park. Some people are wankers - notably the marketers, salesdroids and other ilk of their nature in all the major corporations today that insist on slurping data.

8. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Irrelevant

I’m sure there is a use for cortana, but intelligence it is not, artificial or otherwise. Last time I tried cortina I asked it what the weather forecast was, and because there was no rain, it said something along the lines of “tonight it will be sunny until 2am”. No cortana it won’t.

And as if to prove how irrelevant cortana is, every time I type it, my iPad wants to change it to cortina.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Irrelevant

“tonight it will be sunny until 2am”

It might be in The Arctic and Antarctic - the fabled Land(s) of the Midnight Sun. Perhaps you should turn on Location Services, so it doesn't have to guess (badly) from your IP Address. And can additionally slurp your location, of course.

(Apparently, today I am in South Ockendon. Last week I was the other side of London. All these strange, exotic places in my front room)

9. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Did you ask it "how can I remove Cortana?"

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

"Cortana, uninstall Cortana."

"Here are some results for stalling a Cortina."

2. staringatclouds

Cortana can't be uninstalled as it's part of the core & essential as far as Microsoft are concerned

But you can get rid of it, or at least you could, so I'm not sure if this still works

The last time I got rid of Cortana I did this

Find the folder Cortana is installed in & try to rename it by appending something like ".old", this will fail as Cortana is running but you should get a popup with "retry", leave the popup on screen

Find the running Cortana process & kill it, then quickly click the "retry" on the rename popup before Cortana restarts

You may need to take ownership of the folder but some variant of that should work

Then reboot, as the folder has been renamed, Cortana won't start as the folder can't be found

I think the only thing that was affected was searching the local hard drive

Please note when windows next updates, Cortana will reappear

It does leave the software on the drive but at least it's not running

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like