back to article Intel answers AMD Neo with 'ultrathin' laptop chip

Intel is reportedly cooking up a mobile processor designed for a new category of mobile platforms that is quite similar to what AMD announced just last week. From the Consumer Electronics Show, Cnet reports that Chipzilla will release a new Core-architecture processor for laptops that fits somewhere between low-end netbooks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christopher Ahrens

Everythings good except...

I've been seriously considering buying a netbook, but the are just so expensive for the Features you get, I know they're meant for web / e-mail, but I've had a PDA that can do that for year, and at half the cost when it was new, hopefully Intel and AMD can work to make a CHEAP netbook, that's where the money really is. Although what I'd really like to see would be a bigger-than-a-smart-phone-smaller-than-a-laptop tablet, something about 7-8" that can run XP / Windows 7 respectably, which might be doable with current chips.

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Next wee thing?

I can't see much future in most of the present stock of netbooks purely because of the poor image quality.

Consider:

+ most people have access to or seen a hi-res computer screen (in form of mobile phone)

+ mobile phones and tv's and 'pooters and laptops and ... seem to be ploughing into higher-res devices as ongoing product development

- so why consider a device with poor screen resolution?

Maybe a niche market that will remain niche unless it evolves quickly?

If the intel or AMD or both are in the process of upping resolution well that seems good?

3. Adam

@Christopher

That would be the OQO then.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01/08/ces_oqo_goes_atom/

Probably a bit more than you want to pay but I want the moon on a stick for £12.99.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Adam...

"but I want the moon on a stick for £12.99".....

Tried eBay...sure someone in Nigeria has one kicking around....

5. al
    Joke

Ultrathin ?

hmm... where have I heard this word before ?

6. Britt Johnston

Portable niche morphology - anyone for cheap & nasty throwaways?

The main criteria affecting portable price used to be size and performance, but both are good enough now. The main purpose of these cheap CPUs is to justify a higher price for standard multi-core ones.

Size doesn't really affect cost, as all screens from postcard to office folder have similar pricing. So vanity portables are going the way of gold-plated iPods and Swarovski-studded accordions. Your idea of stamp-sized "notebooks 'that are less than one inch' " is unlikely to catch on - plug in a touch-screen mp4 player, a keyboard, a fuel cell and a DVD-drive perhaps?

The performance is related to CPU speed, but now all CPUs are fast enough to manage portable office use, unless they are stuffed with a multi-megabyte OS. Perhaps we should be paying a premium for a sleek OS running in a small cache.

The medium-priced, medium performance call reeks of compromise and deserves to succeed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like