back to article Google calls a halt on Chrome 82, but the version 83 beta has arrived early – so it's coding and bug finding time ahead

With Silicon Valley under lockdown Chrome 82 has been abandoned by Google, but the Chocolate Factory boffins haven't been slacking and on Thursday released the beta build of Chrome 83 ahead of schedule. On March 18, Google paused the development of Chrome, Chromium, and Chrome OS releases due to the labor challenges posed by …

1. Updraft102

On March 18, Google paused the development of Chrome, Chromium, and Chrome OS releases due to the labor challenges posed by COVID-19 public health actions.

I can see where working at home would be impossible for a job like software development.

1. big_D Silver badge

Who's zoomin' who?*

Yes, it isn't like you need just a computer and access to the source repository...

Google has been trying to sell us products for years to make home working easier, because you don't need to be on premises to use it, because it is all in the cloud. And collaboration software, like all those products they keep cancelling.

Seriously though, there are possibly some parts of the process that had to happen "on-site" for security reasons until now and they possibly need to organize a way of keeping that security, whilst giving the leads the ability to release (as opposed to just work) from home.

2. Cave-Homme

Erm, no, this should really be the 82nd release, delayed, and 83 and later pushed back.

These Silicon nerds persue a different logic to the rest of us.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

> this should really be the 82nd release

True, but you need to keep ahead of the competition (what's left of it): Delay = failure, the show must go on, so a little Covid-assisted quantum leap in versions is just perfect: Instead of v.82 coming late, we have v.83 coming early, and everybody knows 83>82. Nobody cares what's inside anyway.

In short, it's not the silicon nerds, it's the marketing people, for whom bigger is always better. How many serious software have ever arrived at version 80.x? Almost all are still in the single digits. But of course to the Great Unwashed "v.5.43" sounds so disgustingly old and outdated compared to "v.85" - Exactly 80 versions older. Who would want to be seen using such a loser?

3. Ashto5

Happy Web Dev

Every time Chrome gets an update I try to re watch “The Internship”.

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
      Joke

Re: Happy Web Dev

All I can ask is why you feel the need you punish yourself like that? Who hurt you so badly?

4. ratfox

Version 83??

Though I'm not missing the days of "release 2.17.32b", I'm wondering when they are going to reset the version counter...

1. stiine Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Version 83??

Are you thinking that their VCS will blow up at version 100.0?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like