back to article Wipro says clients already asking for discounts and restructured deals, decides not to offer guidance

Wipro has posted strong Q4 and full FY19/20 results, but also declined to offer guidance for the future. The services giant’s full year revenue was US$8.1 billion, up 4.2 percent year on year. Net income grew by eight percent to $1.3bn. Q4 was a good one with $2.1bn of revenue representing 4.7 percent growth while net income …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So, WiPro is doing fine with its employees at home

I wonder how many other businesses are finding that teleworking works. Obviously, not the supermarkets, but there are a lot of companies who are going to find that they do not need to have so much office space. Sure, there's the bragging rights, the "yes, next month we're moving to our new, 16,000 sq foot headquarters", but when the pandemic is over, I wonder what the impact will be on office meetings and dragging everybody to work at eight-thirty and keeping them cooped up until five.

Obviously, everything is not going to change. It is still very helpful (and efficient) to be able to mosey over to a colleague's desk and ask him a question, something that is more difficult to do when you're at home. Email and chat work, but they are not ideal replacements for a good conversation. And I'm pretty sure that, when the confinement is lifted, people will actually be happy to see their colleagues, for a day or two at least ;).

But long-term ? This crises has demonstrated that being in the office is not a requirement for getting work done. And that is going to have to have some sort of impact on the working environment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So, WiPro is doing fine with its employees at home

Pick up the phone?

2. sketharaman

So, WiPro is doing fine with its employees at home

"...to be able to mosey over to a colleague's desk and ask him a question". Maybe not.

I was working at a Top 10 Indian IT company at the time. Two coworkers sat across a cubicle partition. Guy 1 could've stood up and seen for himself whether Guy 2 was on his seat or not. But, no, he doesn't do that. Instead, he sends a message to Guy 2 on the company's internal IM system asking "Are you there?" Guy 2 replies, "Yes". Guy 1 then asks Guy 2, "Shall we go for lunch?". Guy 2 replies, "Yes". Then they both get up from their respective seats opposite each other, and walk towards the cafeteria. This was 15 years ago. These two guys were definitely not Millennials. Today, with Millennials in the workforce and smartphones and WhatsApp or InstaGram, "Mosey over" is not a thing in Indian IT companies.

3. fredesmite
      Happy

Re: So, WiPro is doing fine with its employees at home

I haven't worked in a Cube-farm daycare in over 10 years

And I won't work for one in the future either

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like