back to article Amazon assembles team of boffins, devs, project managers and more to figure out mass coronavirus testing

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has called for a coronavirus testing blitz to help the global economy reopen and has assembled a team to try to make it happen. In his annual letter to Amazon shareholders, posted today, Bezos said that a massive uptick in testing could "help keep people safe and help get the economy back up and …

1. Chris G

Will I stay or have I gone?

Workers who contract the virus or are quarantined will receive two weeks paid leave and unlimited time off.

That sounds a lot like being let go with two weeks money in lieu of notice, or am I missing something?

1. macjules
      Black Helicopters

Re: Wil I stay or have I gone?

Exactly my thoughts as well. With Amazon making so much money as a result I would have thought that their "research" labs would be testing newer and nastier strains to force more people to stay at home and buy through Amazon.

Perhaps they also have a secret volcanic island research facility protected by sharks with frikkin' lasers and liquid hot magma ... or maybe just renting Larry Ellison's one.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Will I stay or have I gone?

Welcome to the US system. Fire at will.

Illegal in the commie states called Europe.

USA USA USA!

2. BigSLitleP

Maybe they should research.....

How to not treat their employees like crap instead? Or how about paying their tax bill correctly?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Maybe they should research.....

How about he uses that 24 billion that he just earned in a less personal manner...

1. Tom 38

This isn't the Daily Mail, he didn't earn anything, the alleged value of his shares went up.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

So let's just say that he sells a few of those shares, it must still represent a very very tidy sum.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or actually shipping stuff on time? My 28-Mar order ("fulfilled by Amazon") hasn't shipped yet, but it's still supposed to arrive Friday...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Cooling towers

"AWS has been successful in increasing the energy efficiency of its facilities and equipment, for instance by using more efficient evaporative cooling in certain data centers instead of traditional air conditioning,"

Isn't that usually just called "reducing our operating costs".

Coat icon, because it is is so very green.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Cooling towers

I believe Yahoo some years ago reduced the cooling cost by simply opening the roof up

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Along with our use of renewable energy, these factors enable AWS to do the same tasks as traditional data centers with an 88% lower carbon footprint. And don’t think we’re not going to get those last 12 points—we’ll make AWS 100% carbon free through more investments in renewable energy projects."

Then they will have caught up with where I work. 100% renewable used to power our location. Little difficult not to use renewable here, as the whole country is powered on renewable, Norway.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

"Little difficult not to use renewable here, as the whole country is powered on renewable, Norway."

Paid for by the Gas and Oil industry ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If other countries want to spend their money on fossil fuels instead of renewable energy, which help develop Norways renewable resources, please. Increasing temperatures will cause warmer winters here, wetter, and lower the price of electricity even more :-)

Which is currently at just over 3 Euro /MWh due to it being a wet winter.

Joking aside, yep it may appear hypocritical making your fortune off the thing you are told to reduce usage in. But at least the money made from the fossil fuels being sold are put into renewables and the countries future, unlike most other countries.

Also Norways fund / investments have been for years moving away from its Oil/Gas holdings as it has no long term future.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Increasing temperatures will cause warmer winters here, wetter, and lower the price of electricity even more :-)"

I thought I saw a report that warmer was bad for Norway because there's not enough snow to slowly melt and keep the hydro power stations running. Having it fall as rain instead of snow means there's no stockpile for later in the year and it all runs off much more rapidly.

2. Jaybus

It is a complicated measure that seems more political than scientific. We can't be sure what he means by 'renewable energy'. You see, the state of California would consider very little of Norway's hydroelectric production to be 'renewable'. According to their self-designated Renewable Portfolio Standards, any plant with a capacity exceeding 30 MW is not considered a renewable source due to its impact on the ecology. Around 13% of California's electricity comes from hydroelectric plants that are not considered renewable.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

The problem with Cali classification as hydro as non renewable is very understandable.

The area is getting less and less water and putting huge stress on the water system and damning can cause huge problems downstream.

It's only going to get worse.

Norway gas no such water issue.

Still people like their "eco friendly" Almond smilk*. Conviently ignoring the drought damage it causes and the thousands of air miles it clocks up.

*Skill - Synthetic Milk

5. Robert Grant

Journalist in doesn't know the difference between money and net worth shocker

Bezos is putting his money where his mouth is (not that the world's richest man, valued at $139.4bn, worries about such things).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like