back to article Quantum computing heats up down under as researchers reckon they know how to cut costs and improve stability

Scientists in Australia are claiming to have made a breakthrough in the field of quantum computing which could ease the technology's progress to affordability and mass production. A paper by researchers led by Professor Andrew Dzurak at Sydney's University of New South Wales published in Nature today says they have …

1. Conundrum1885

Quantum chips

Recall reading an article that chips can be cooled using light.

Wonder if this approach could be used? Linde cycle refrigerators are unfortunately quite large.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quantum chips

I think you might be referring to doppler cooling or laser cooling, both techniques require the chips to be first cooled using traditional mechanical refrigeration techniques, then you would then use your finely tuned light sources to suck the energy out of the atoms as they literally vibrate towards or away from the light source. An analogy would be the current lockdown with the media being the traditional cooling techniques & the police being the monochromatic light source that gradually sucks the life out of its free roaming citizens. Anonymous because I'm beginning to lose it.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: Quantum chips

I'm not sure the media could ever be a 'cooling' influence.

In describing various actions of the media, many other words spring to mind.

2. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Give it a couple more decades

When useful digital computers came into being, they of course filled rooms and cost millions, and used the electricity of a small village to do what now are considered trivial tasks. Now your smart watch has more processing power. Soon enough we'll have quantum desktops, then smartphones. Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious here..

1. Alumoi Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Give it a couple more decades

Soon enough we'll have quantum desktops, then smartphones.

I do know we have smartphones (well, the manufacturers say smartphones but... meh) so where are those damn quantum desktops?

1. Klimt's Beast Would

so where are those damn quantum desktops?

Hold on, I'll fire up my quantum microscope. This. May. Take. A. While. I hope the robohoover is on holiday.

Or.

Me: "Siri (Alexa/etc.) Where did I leave my quantum desktops?"

Siri/Alexa/etc. "Have you tried looking down the back of the sofa? You were drunk last night and tried to give cocktails to your dog while watching netfilx and you said at 21:37 'I'll just run a task on my quantum desktops before the film starts.'

-

I suppose the real wager should be, What came first, Artificial Intelligence or Quantum Computing? Answers on a postcard please.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think it will take that long as in some inexplicable way a quantum computer in the future will invent itself now using entanglement through time caused by a cleaner accidentally plugging in a vacuum cleaner with classic static derived phenomena. I'm not clear on the exact science but it may be related to the way static causes the hairs on your head to rise when you rub your belly with a balloon or I just might be bored during the lock down trying to figure out time travel. Stay tuned for next weeks episode tomorrow.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"what now are considered trivial tasks."

We now have *much* more powerful machines, but nearly all of them are still doing trivial tasks.

4. Rich 11

I wonder if a quantum smartphone will also be able to keep my glass of Scotch chilled?

1. Mike 16

able to keep my glass of Scotch chilled?

More like "keep my tea (luke) warm". Like most computers, the total quantum computer (or smartphone, or watch, or "magic no-touch payment machine") system will be sourcing heat, not sinking it. Bringing order into one part of the multiverse involves bringing disorder into another. Rust Never Sleeps.

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

When it can work with a nice hot cup of tea then we are making real progress!

What, there are two mice asking to see me?

4. Klimt's Beast Would

Wake me up...

from my cryotube in 2173 so I can see if it works yet... and if Woody Allen's film 'Sleeper' is in any way accurate*

Or, I could just wait until 2044 to see if it works yet... and if the world is like the classic Polish sci-fi film Seksmisja.**

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_(1973_film)

** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexmission

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Wake me up...

We could add Mike Judge's Idiocracy (2006) to the list of films about our contemporaries waking up in the future due to a hibernation chamber.

Though Idiocracy is a fine film, its presentation of a self regarding reality TV star president of the USA pushes credibility too far... President Camacho does actually listen to advice.

1. EnviableOne
        Coat

or Matt Groening's Futurama .....

2. Mike 16

No Volkswagen (or other vehicle) manufactured today is even remotely likely to start and run in 2173 (or 2073). It's antique 27G IPV6 network will be unable to contact modern servers to get permission to transport the scruffy meatsack that hopped in. Sure, it will have a DNA sample from what you thought was an errant seatcushion spring, but the Java application that translates it to do the "criminal/deadbeat/voter-wannabe" check will be _way_ behind the current libraries.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like