back to article Japan would like to offer 5G firms cheap loans – because subsidies are only bad when Huawei gets them

In an effort to counter the influence and spread of Chinese-built kit, the Japanese government has approved a draft bill that will offer low-cost finance to firms looking to develop 5G and drone technologies. The bill will give qualifying businesses cut-rate loans from state-owned banks, provided their products meet specific …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

This outrageous!

Next you be telling us the USA gives huge tax breaks to its own multi billion dollar companies so they can set up new buildings.

Ah forgot, that's not somehow a kickback

1. Chris G

Re: This outrageous!

If the tax breaks and investment, lead to a huge 5G industry developing in Japan, I hope they realise how much of a security threat they will become to the 'Free World'.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Yeah, just ask airbus.

1. Geoffrey W

Airbus' Best Friend Forever is currently Boeing. 10,000 thumbs up from the Europeans!

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Ah yes, Boeing and its 737 max, a gift that keeps on giving

2. gigabitethernet

This is good for Japan it's the end of Abenomics surpluses.

Imagine my Australian government doing something similar rather than banning Huawei gear.

Nope no Nada. Budget surplus forevermore it is.

3. Anomalous Cowshed

I'm not the kind who usually goes in for dieting...

But cheap loans? Subsidies? If it also includes as much sushi and noodles as you can eat, then that's one hell of a diet. Count me in!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like