back to article Suspicious senate stock sale spurt spurs scrutiny scheme: This website tracks which shares US senators are unloading mid-pandemic

Well, if Congress won't do it, we, the geek people, will have to instead, it seems. In the wake of reports last month that four US senators sold stocks shortly after a classified briefing on January 24 about the risk posed by the novel coronavirus, Timothy Carambat, a mechanical and software engineer, created a website to make …

1. elDog

How long before his site is DoS'd or forced to be taken down?

The poor little senators must feel exposed. So now they'll probably use go-betweens to do their trades, at least the ones who aren't already trading that way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How long before his site is DoS'd or forced to be taken down?

I'm more worried about how long will it be before he meets with an "accident". There's some mighty powerful interests being embarassed...

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Gimp

yeah "dishonest politician" - describes MOST of them, especially DEMO[C,N]RATS and ESTABLISHMENT REPUBLOCRATS.

I wonder if they'd EMPEACH THEMSELVES... yeah probably not.

Letting THESE people GRAB MORE POWER during a pandemic is *CRIMINAL* in and of itself. This is reason enough to END THE SHUTDOWNS. [we're ready for it anyway, at least here in the USA, with medications, extra hospital beds, and an emergency supply line for hospital supplies]

(the WAITING and the UNCERTAINTY is DRIVING ME INSANE, as if I could become MORE INSANE than I was, but it seems it's happening...)

looking for straightjacket icon, settling for this

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

looking for straightjacket icon, settling for this

Might want to get your caps lock fixed while you're at it.

1. RyokuMas
          Joke

"Might want to get your caps lock fixed while you're at it."

Oh, that's just to make it look more 3D. Lower case is so flatty-mc-flatso...

2. acid andy
          Coat

I think Bob might be channelling Christopher Walken. Or is it Zippy the Pinhead?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You must have missed the article where Trump said Republicans couldn't win an honest election.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I think that classes as exceptional rare honesty amongst a career where only now the number of Covid19 victims is surpassing the number of lies he has told (he's past 18.000 now).

2. Imhotep

Yrs, I missed it. Can you provide some more detail?

3. RyokuMas
        Stop

"we're ready for it anyway, at least here in the USA, with medications, extra hospital beds, and an emergency supply line for hospital supplies"

So are you going to be turning away people to die if they don't have adequate health insurance, or are you going to be just treating them but putting them and their families into debt for the next three generations?

1. Someone Else Silver badge

we're ready for it anyway, at least here in the USA, with medications, extra hospital beds, and an emergency supply line for hospital supplies

Oh, and Kool-Aid. Lots of Kool-Aid, especially for those who would rather drink than think.

Looks like our buddy Bob has already been imbibing....

4. batfink

"Empeach"? Bob you are losing it!

Although I suppose turning politicians more peachy might be considered a good thing in some quarters...

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What is "EMPEACH"? It sounds like " to make something or someone a shade of orange", which has apparently been done already. Oh, you mean impeach? That has already been done, to little effect as well. When do we get to guillotine?

6. Getmo

Oh Bob, I'm legitimately disappointed to learn you don't already have DEMO[N,C]RATS macro'd to your keyboard, or at least added to dictionary so you can make use of that wonderful autocorrect tool.

3. Imhotep

Most, if not all of those stocks, are held in blind trust for those senators, in theory removing them from any decisions regarding the holdings.

The Wall Street Journal has covered these particular transactions in more detail - it makes for interesting reading and highlights some weaknesses in how transactions are tracked and recorded.

In any case, good on the gentleman for creating this site.

2. BebopWeBop
    Devil

They are not going to like it up 'em. British and other European politicians won't either.

3. jpo234

This would only be illegal if the briefing contained company specific information. A general "this is going to be bad for airlines and the hospitality industry" does not qualify as insider information. And I kind of doubt that these confidential briefings had anything more to say on this topic.

The confidential part is almost certainly about stockpiles of masks or the contingency planning of the military.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Good luck with that. The SEC have quite broad opinions on what constitutes insider trading.

Famous case was a train driver who noticed a lot of cars in the visitor parking lot with plates from the state where their much larger competitor was HQ'ed, decided there was probably going to be a takeover and bought stock.

Of course the SEC also has a long history of not wanting to go after the rich and powerful

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

...a train driver who noticed a lot of cars in the visitor parking lot with plates from the state where their much larger competitor was HQ'ed, decided there was probably going to be a takeover and bought stock.a train driver who noticed a lot of cars in the visitor parking lot with plates from the state where their much larger competitor was HQ'ed, decided there was probably going to be a takeover and bought stock.

A reference would be nice. And this is enviable astuteness, surely it would only be insider trading if he were an trader, or possibly as an employee was told something.

Insider Trading is rather a bogus concept at the best of times, purely moralistic. Whilst it would be nice if company owners didn't pump and dump their own shares, it seems utterly natural that one should act on any information available.

The SEC claim was that an employee was pretty much automatically insider trading. The case was overturned but there is a complaint that the sec likes insider trading by low end employees as a cheap win.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

I was going to say--what is "insider" about who's in the parking lot? Unless you stop skip tracers from visiting...

2. a pressbutton

Good example

Comment is relevant to the UK

I do not have access to insider information, but am forced to sit through the online course every year.

If the information is available to the public, it is not insider trading and IANAL.

So, if that carpark was visible to the public, and it was possible for the public to see the number plates, probably not insider trading in the uk.

The example we get is

(a)Factory on fire that you can see from the train - public information

(b)You pick up a document from the next seat that says P&C all over it and read it and it says 'oops our top secret factory has burnt down and no-one knows' - not public information.

Please remember: I am not a lawyer.

Re: Good example

>(b)You pick up a document from the next seat that says P&C all over it and read it and it says 'oops our top secret factory has burnt down and no-one knows' - not public information.

Over here it's defined more in your role. So that would be perfectly fine unless I was eg a cleaner for the train company, then my 'privileged position' gave me access to the document.

I have to sit through the same pointless training, but you can make them more fun by trying to think up examples to ask the trainer that would confuse a Jesuit.

3. Stork Silver badge

In some cases it is well defined. My wife as co-founder and I as spouse) could in reality only trade their shares in brief periods after quarterly reports and press releases.

2. oiseau
      Stop

... kind of doubt that these confidential briefings had anything more to say on this topic.

Really?

O.

3. Drew 11

The main point was that Loeffler and Burr sat in on briefings that basically said it was going to be FUBAR, sold and bought stocks indicating they believed the content of the briefings, BUT continued to parrot the TRUMP/GOP "nothing to see here, move along" line in public. Executive summary: Those two people are arseholes.

4. JoeCool Bronze badge

"... does not qualify as insider information"

Says the non-lawyer, non-stock trader.

There is a reason that some people in that position put their holdings in a blind trust.

5. RLWatkins

It isn't illegal at all. Insider trading is legal for legislators. Has been for years. Some years ago congress voted to make it illegal, to great public fanfare, then voted very quietly to make it legal once again. Sure, it's unethical, but they didn't break the law.

4. IGotOut Silver badge

Shock

Politicians are corrupt.

Will anything happen? Of course not.

Something tells me "luxury" (read tacky) hotels and golf courses will get extra special bailouts.

Re: Shock

That was one of the holdups in passing the bill. A special $500Bn fund for the Republican speaker to use to directly assist specific companies he felt were special.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The bailout in the US is called the CARES act, ''Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act'' but it is actually the "Stupid Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act''

The average US funded bailout business loan is about $14,000 - so for every company that gets a $10,000,000 loan, 20,000 companies get $500. So this means that investing in the stock of large companies will be profitable but investing in companies that have multiple small retailers (each getting a $500 loan) all over the country will be a disaster.

My company survived the 2008 economic crash but they had to let half of the staff go, this is probably going to be the end of us, they have been trying to apply for a loan but so far nobody has managed to get through the paperwork.

Or a few $Bn for each airline and fracker, then a handful of magic beans to any small business in a swing state

2. StuntMisanthrope

That's because luxury hotels, golf-courses, travel, services and all the supply chains involved employ the most people, not the financial services sector. It's how the tower structures are under duress at the minute as well. #awe

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Something tells me "luxury" (read tacky) hotels and golf courses will get extra special bailouts.

That's why Trump had to sack the guy they got to oversee and track payments. That came as a huge surprise - not.

It is but a theory, but I suspect that Trump's business is probably an array of real estate, which means it is most likely chain leveraged to the hilt. Now he cannot milk foreign dignitaries seeking to buy influence, the extra income he gets from renting golf carts to the Secret Service is not enough to keep things afloat and the problem with chained leverage is that it is subject to weakest link problems: one property not keeping up with repayment is enough to make the whole house of cards collapse - also because there is no way the family is going to spend less on their lavish lifestyle.

Ergo, Trump is likely to need money, and fast. I don't think he can get away a second time by suing a lender who demands their money back, even Deutsche Bank eventually learned its lesson. Also, the resulting publicity would make it public that he's in the red..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Couldn't happen to a better person.

I guess the "Trump companies can not benefit" didn't make it into the final bill then, or was that just rumour that they tried to include that?

2. holmegm

You people are literally nuts. Your hatred has made your brain leave reality.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

You've got that the wrong way around, that hatred is the result of their brains experiencing reality for a prolonged period.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

It Never Rains but IT Pours Deep Drowning Pools of Information/Raging Torrents of Intelligence.

the level of access they have to information currently is highly privileged and it would only make sense to keep their own financial best interests at heart."

Failing to do so has All knowing they do possess such absolutely necessary vital intelligence. Such leads Ignorance into the Intolerant Madness where every Genius Resides and Presides to Bear Forth Fruitful Ideas for Remote Virtual Practical Application ...... in Live Operational Virtual Environment Beta Tests/Pioneering AIMissions.

Crikey, that took me right back to the days and comics of Dan Dare ....... a very early meme exercising and exciting inspiration and aspiration and kick-starting vivid imagination.

Re the colossal elephant in the room ..... "I am not a broker, nor am I qualified to make any kind of inference on this data," he said. "I simply present this data in a user friendly format and I urge the user to simply use it for information and not as a 'stock tip.'"

Does it easily reveal systemic criminal activity embedded in the Senate, and personally identify rotten apples to squeeze and interrogate further for truth filled answers .... Real Smart Replies. Do you think they know .... Their very future existence would depend upon it and such being so.

And how wonderfully strange and most encouraging ...... the following which is as an AIMirror of the Latter Former. ‽

amanfromMars [2004131211] ......seeding a few words to the wise on https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/escobar-total-system-failure-will-give-rise-new-economy

Traditionally, countries and cabals being outcompeted go to war, so China needs to thrive modestly or quietly. ..... Pardero

Traditionally yes .... but that was surely before such times as these of immediate information discovery and advanced intelligence facilities which would realise any crazy leaders discussing the possibility of wars from such cabal run countries, and their supporting advisors, are the toxic enemy to be permanently rid of.

I wonder if they be smart enough to realise that nowadays?

And would you say there's a lot of sensitive information Registered freely here for El Regers to utilise as best they can, which be superb prime insider trade materiel? Is none at all likely?

1. TheRealRoland

Re: It Never Rains but IT Pours Deep Drowning Pools of Information/Raging Torrents of Intelligence.

Well at least amanfromMars1 is still among us. I will rest easy tonight.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guamtanamo still open for guests? Got a feeling he might be checking in soon.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Well, according to Michael Moore it has better healthcare than the rest of the USA so that's an incentive in itself. The only problem I see is that he may end up partially invisible as his skin tone matches the prison garb there..

7. Mark192

Not selling airline or hotel stocks when this spread from Wuhan...

...is as strange a decision as UK hospitals/NHS trusts not already having a strategic reserve of gloves, masks and other cheap protective equipment for their staff.

Anyone who waited until February to sell their stocks in companies that would be affected by a pandemic is probably not fit for any position of responsibility.

Rather than an indication of corruption, this is more proof that we're led by idiots and chancers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not selling airline or hotel stocks when this spread from Wuhan...

Oh I don't know, there'll be a lot of people looking to go on holiday when this is all over. Kinda, big bust but then an even bigger boom. It could play out well just hanging on to stocks that, temporarily, aren't that great.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes and no. How many of those stocks will be worthless, and bust, in 6 months time?

Some big airlines/hotels could do very well.

All the budget airlines (especially the long haul ones) go bust.

Giant US airlines and foreign flag carriers get bailed out

So next year there is still United, Air France and Etihad but no Norwegian/GermanWings/Zoom/Westjet

Same with hotels. If Airbnb dies and a bunch of small franchise motels go under

People have to travel for work, however much video conferencing improves - so now your airfare costs more and there are only mid-range hotels left.

2. bazza Silver badge

Cruise bookings are apparently up.

>Cruise bookings are apparently up.

Probably 'we will rebook in 6months for free' emails. I imagine a few travel insurance policies will be checked when the cruise companies look shaky

2. Danny Boyd

Especially on "Princess" liners, I heard.

1. Chris G

Considering the demographic of most cruisers and the C19 propensity for striking down that same demographic group, I suspect bookings on Cruises will only pick up on hospital ships.

2. Stork Silver badge

It depends very much on the economic slump we are getting. Leisure travel is hit by less pay, and I can imagine corporate travel budgets coming under scrutiny too.

8. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Holmes

So when are they buying back in?

When these congress clowns start buying stock in travel/vacation industries, that will be the clue that they are about to lift the restrictions.

1. Danny Boyd

Re: So when are they buying back in?

And here comes the second wave...

1. a pressbutton

Re: So when are they buying back in?

After the ninth wave, Kate bush will be buying.

9. a_yank_lurker

Mark Twain

Twain observed Congress is America's native criminal class. They haven't changed in over 100 years. The only question is whether Congress critter stock sales are exempted from insider trader, the critters are notorious for exempting themselves for the laws they inflict on us peasants.

Re: Mark Twain

Ironically it would be best for everyone if they were exempt. The trades are public so act like a giant lie detector

1. Cassini

You don't need a lie detector of any sort for politicians.

1. Kane

"You don't need a lie detector of any sort for politicians."

Just watch their mouths open.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

...or, in tRump's case, just watch him breathe.

10. kitekrazy

Terms limits and volunteer work.

Make congressional offices volunteer work. They are not allowed to draw any income during their term. These people are already rich but they hate the 1% because they are not one of them. I know they like to point out how stupid that Stacey O. is but she saw an opportunity in an election spot no one really wanted. Even if she serves one term it's over $400K and a pension only they can get.

1. crayon

Re: Terms limits and volunteer work.

That will probably just encourage them to make even more of their time in office to enrich themselves.

11. stefangrim

Oh yes, at least the ones who aren't already trading that way.

12. stefangrim

Oh yes, at least those who aren't already trading that way.

13. stefangrim

Yes, at least maybe will be better.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like