back to article You in for a curl up and dye? Yeah, looks like the same for this screen in a hairdressers

While computers falling over in public may once have been a thing to be mocked, now they are reminders of days gone by and sometimes, just sometimes, have a message for the future. Take this example spotted in the windows of a Toni & Guy hairdressing salon by Register reader Ian Bonham. The picture of the "barnet botherers", …

1. petur

dissapointed

I had expected a cURL command line with a title like that

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: dissapointed

Axel teach me to wget excited.

2. GlenP Silver badge
    Pint

In a Nutshell

I spend a happy afternoon in the Nutshell drinking Abbot. It's so small everyone has to be friendly!

Beer ----> 'cause Thursday is the new Friday this week!

3. Unicornpiss
    Coat

World

" Or is it a hint that the world is out of joint and could do with reinstallation?"

Actually, I think the world should be restored from the off-site backup made back in December.. Clearly the anti-virus software wasn't doing its job..

1. Baldrickk

Re: World

December is still too recent the virus was in the system but had not yet spread much.

We need to crack out the earlier backups, and work forwards from there to ensure the entire network comes back up cleanly.

1. First Light

If only . . .

2. Doctor Evil

"December is still too recent the virus was in the system but had not yet spread much."

And we now see what happens when you leave ports open. 'Course, detection was a bit of an issue too; nobody was really looking for the signatures back then.

3. heyrick Silver badge

Earlier backups? From when? June 2016? Pre-biblical times (if the file format is still supported)? Pick any date, it isn't quite early enough.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Of course, maybe this is the backup...and it is corrupted?

2. Muscleguy

Careful there, could go back to the 1918 flu. Most of us should be descended from those who survived or were suffiicently immune but maybe not. Ditto if we reset to the Black Death of the Middle Ages or when cholera first arose.

Perhaps back to when measles first spread from cattle to humans and we had absolutely no immunity. That sounds fun, not.

History is replete with pestilences we could go back to. Back when you relied on your local witch doctor/priest/minister. At least in the Middle Ages the medics had some PPE though it is still not sure if the Black Death was breath infectious or not. It might have become so. Which means the getup might have been actually useful and would work for SARS or Covid-19. Though it would require careful removal and hot laundry in between patients and all that hygiene stuff wasn't appreciated back then so like Dr's ties, now ditched for scrubs on the wards the dreads might have spread the contagion.

Folk in the future will doubtless look at even the best (Sth Korea, New Zealand) and sneer at the naiveté and crudeness. We have pcr and antibody tests (I have done lots of pcr for many things) yet rolling it out sufficiently even with Sth Korea's example seems beyond a supposedly advanced country like the UK. But then Sth Korea's democracy is still a work in progress whilst ours is sclerotic. We can't even reform the absurd, ruritanian House of Lords. We share with only Iran the shame of unelected senior clerics sitting in our legislature as of right. Archbishop = Ayatollah, often down to the beards and headgear and robes.

And note NONE of this should apply to Scotland since we Disestablished our Kirk back in the early '70s. Yet it does. Until recently the Episcopal Church in Scotland styled itself The Church In Scotland, the definite article should be emphasised. We staged an armed rebellion over having a prayer book and bishops imposed on the infant Presbyterian Kirk. Historians date the start of what you think of as the English Civil War to the Bishops Wars in Scotland. Scots Covenanter armies even took part south of the Border and remember when Chuck the second took refuge here we took him captive and packed him off for trial.

The 6th of this month marked the 700th anniversary of the Declaration of Arbroath in which, amongst other fine sentiments we asserted our right to dispense with monarchs who did not measure up. Charles should have taken account of that, but didn't. Post Independence don't assume we will agree to who the English (and Welsh though they won't be consulted) think should be the next monarch. We might insist on a separate coronation again. Outside on Boot Hill at Scone.

I'm a Republican but that would tickle me. Charles might even go for it though he seems sensibly wary of that name as monarch. Such superstition. If we sent him packing I'm sure he wouldn't lose his head over it. Though The Maiden in the Museum of Scotland looks in working order . . .

1. heyrick Silver badge
        Happy

"We might insist on a separate coronation again."

Upvote because it's a miserable tiring day at work and I, while on break, am having quite a giggle trying to imagine how the likes of the Daily Mail would take that.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

opened in 1999

And what are the odds that they haven't updated the device since then?

5. heyrick Silver badge

Please change into supported firmware version.

Into? Into?

Sadly, this is probably some automatic updater bollocks that took a functioning sign and updated the application part to something that requires a more recent version of the firmware than the one installed. Rather than do a logical thing like check before updating, it just went ahead and did it and here's the result...

1. Ken Shabby
      Facepalm

They took a shortcut?

6. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

The problem is a disparity in hair colour...

Logging in as root will enable access to all layers including follicle level.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: The problem is a disparity in hair colour...

Blond Screen Of Dumb?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Blondes Invade Our Systems

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The number of Blondes seems to be dropping rapidly at the min

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like