back to article White House creates 'Team Telecom' to probe whether foreign telcos should be allowed near US networks

The White House has issued an executive order establishing a committee to help the Federal Communications Commission review the participation of foreign companies in US telecommunication services. The committee, chaired by the US Attorney General, will include the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Homeland Security, and …

1. sanmigueelbeer
    Joke

The committee will have 120 days to conduct national security reviews of license applications, with an additional 90-day review process when a secondary assessment is deemed necessary.

A committee to make a decision in 120 days? That'll be a first.

1. Saruman the White Silver badge
      Joke

The decision will be: "we need more time to decide".

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Why the joke alert?

2. ThinkingMonkey

To make sure all our communications are secure...

Similarly to what I just posted on another article, the cynicism caused by (evidently) old age caused me to read "Its job will be to advise the FCC on the law enforcement and national security implications of foreign telecom companies..." as "...to ensure that no communications by the private citizens of this country could be or shall be spied upon by any agency whatsoever...except ours."

3. Andy Denton

Typical.....

"Competition and free market is the best....so long as our companies win"

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Typical.....

Perhaps the rest of the world will start to consider taking similar action in terms of critical infrastructure such as hotels and gold courses.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ROW taking similar action

Will lead to a trade war as Trumpton throws his toys out of the pram.

He will play golf where and when he chooses. No tinpot government will stop him and MAGA.

Sad fact of life I'm afraid.

4. A random security guy

Too little Too late?

All our IoT devices, laptops, phones, etc. are riddled with security bugs, call home features, spyware, etc.

Throw in Zoom. Add printers, scanners, car parts, etc.

Round it up with a large amount of disposable capital.

Isn’t it too little too late?

China has grabbed the end points.

Or is it just the large companies we are worried about?

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Response

Every other country decides whether US software should be allowed in their systems.

If MSFT is now beholden to the DoD for a multi $Bn cloud contract do I want them proving systems for my government?

6. IGotOut Silver badge

The problem is...

The old fuckers in charge were the ones growing up during the cold war

This is affected tand locked their mindsets to the them Vs us attitude.

Unfortunately it's going to take at least another generation before we can even start to move forward.

The sooner the current pair pop their clogs the better.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: The problem is...

Because these are the first politicians in history to use "national security" to line their own and friends pockets?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

No, but these still have the Cold War mentally we hoped we'd start to have left behind.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Nobody in the USA politic or military think China is planning to invade the USA to further global communism.

They do believe that China wants to have the ability to both spy on the USA for tactical and economic reasons and to have leverage over the USA in any trade/territorial dispute.

It's what every country does, Britain was spying on the Germans to get an edge in Eu agricultural polciy talks.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The irony is that China no longer has to.

From a world domination view, China already has all the tools at its disposal to take the reins if it so chooses and the US can do sod all about it, especially since Trump and supporters have emptied the reserves (mainly into their own pockets). Covid-19 may have slowed it down a bit, but has had almost no effect on their controls, and the US can't bomb them like they do with others because they will bomb them right back.

If I had any money invested in the US I'd drop it - the whole picture will change in a few years. The only thing that holds it back is China waiting until it feels the time is right.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

+++ Spoiler Alert +++

They'll find they shouldn't.

1. genghis_uk

Re: +++ Spoiler Alert +++

Largely because Verizon, AT&T etc. will pay them to find they shouldn't

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keep it all in Yankee land

Sounds like yet another attempt by the great orange one to sideline any other foreign companies and keep it all in that mythical land of the free. Hmm. Doesn't work like that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like