back to article Come to GoDaddy: 12 million domains – from .biz to .nyc – acquired from Neustar amid promises of lower prices

The world’s largest seller of domain names, GoDaddy, is making a bid for market domination with the purchase of hundreds of registries, including .biz, .co, .nyc, and .us, from Neustar. The deal, for an undisclosed amount, will cover 12 million domains and instantly make GoDaddy one of the largest players in the internet …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Godaddy have no credibility in the "lower price domain names" statement. They used to be cheap for .com, but now they are among the most expensive. They give you a cheap 1 or 2 year deal, then whack up the price.

I've moved all my domains away from them for this reason.

Most of these "vanity" domain names are all but useless anyway, which people are finally starting to realise.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

"Godaddy have no credibility"

Coulda stopped right there.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I moved all my domains away from them years ago.

The contrast with EasyDNS could not be greater, plus the latter is a Canadian company and thus far less exposed to US shenanigans, helped by the fact that it is operated by an actually sane person with a decent moral code (as occasionally demonstrated by them booting out idiots).

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

I am considering moving the one domain I have registered with them. I maintain my own DNS, and if I do not use THEIR DNS servers, they won't support me configuring an IPv6 address for the DNS for ".name" for some reason. It's irritating, and if not fixed, will cause me (this year most likely) to go ELSEWHERE.

After all - I want the 'guru' T shirt from he.net - and unless my DNS servers are registered with an IPv6 address as well as an IPv4 I can't get 'guru' level (nor PROPERLY support IPv6).

(at least it's still cheap through godaddy)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I always found GoDaddy very expensive compared to many other registrars.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

There is nothing, NOTHING to like about GoDaddy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed, the number of times I've had to clean up after their bogus support and lack of tech knowledge is beyond counting.

2. Mike 16

Nothing to like?

Danica Patrick?

OK, other than her, no, nothing. Run away now if you value your money and sanity.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Devil

Re: Nothing to like?

Danica Patrick was a mediocre driver. GoDaddy is a mediocre registry. Both make far more money than their betters. They are made for each other.

3. Schultz
    Stop

“flexible terms” for domains

Am I the only on reading this as: "we wait until you have a user base and make money and then we own you"? Maybe I am cynical here, I just recently learned that domains are monetizsble on the gigadollar scale.

Concerning that "strict separation between the registry and registrar sides of the business", doesn't anybody remember how that impenetrable Chinese Wall worked out in investment banking? A conflict of interest remains a conflict of interest and will not vanish when the company waves their magic wand.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: “flexible terms” for domains

I saw "flexible terms" as either "subscription" or "auction". Either way it won't be in the consumers' best interests.

As for promising strict separation... uh huh. Yeah. Right. Just like the given example, which is being vertically integrated a few years after acquisition. That separation stayed strict for all of, what...? A couple of years?

Just another attempt at a monopoly hiding behind the thin, pointless and tattered veil of US regulators.

4. BGatez

Come to go daddy if you are literally out of your f***ing mind and desperate to deal with endless grief

5. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

Could takeover actually not shaft internet web address holders?

In no way whatsoever.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like