back to article Rethinking VPN: Tailscale startup packages Wireguard with network security

WireGuard, a new VPN protocol with both strong performance and easy setup, has been adopted by startup Tailscale as the basis of a peer-to-peer remote networking system that is both secure and quick to configure. WireGuard is an open source VPN which achieved its 1.0 release on March 30th, coinciding with the release of Linux …

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
    Pint

Walkthrough is A1

The setup videos on wireguard dot com are a model in "how-to-do-thing" Hats off to them :)

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Walkthrough is A1

And the overall experience is amazingly good.

There have publicly declared how to disable centralised endpoint logging (including a future hostname that they might move to).

Their decision to import auth from elsewhere is a good one, and the use of the GCNAT space is sensible as well. Don't know of any carriers exposing those to customers at the moment...

2. Ben Tasker

> the IP numbers

Am I the only one who felt really uncomfortable reading this in an otherwise excellent article?

I really have been quite impressed with Wireguard in the testing I've done with it though.

1. Tim Anderson (Written by Reg staff)

The admin screenshot was supplied to us as part of a press kit.

1. Ben Tasker

It's not the admin screenshot I was referring to.

It's the use of the phrase "IP Numbers" in the article. They are IP addresses, and this is a technical publication - it was quite grating to read

2. chivo243 Silver badge

aren't all IP numbers known?? So, IF, I was on the Wireguard network, with a client, I could pick IP addresses randomly and find a connected PC?

It's late, I must be missing something...

1. John Sager

You still have to authenticate to build a tunnel.

I've been using Wireguard since it's early days for remote connections back to my home network. As they say, it's a piece of cake to set up & works on my phone as well as the laptop.

2. AJ MacLeod

Perhaps the OP found the terminology a bit dumbed down? They're not IP "numbers", they're IP addresses... I admit it grated on me a little, I can't remember any occasion when someone else in the IT industry has referred to them as "IP numbers" when communicating with me.

1. Ben Tasker

> Perhaps the OP found the terminology a bit dumbed down?

Exactly that.

3. P. Lee

The domain is "example.com" I don't think its real.

3. Mikepollard

Does it also provide the servers and IPS for different countries? I really want to start using it, currently I m using south african IP from PureVPN https://www.purevpn.com/servers/south-africa-vpn but now I want to use it with wireguard protocols, can anyone guide how to do it, with same country IP?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like