back to article PC owners borg into the most powerful computer the world has ever known – all in the search for coronavirus cure

A distributed computing project for disease research now has more data-crunching chops than the world's publicly known most-powerful supercomputer – IBM's Summit at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. How so? Well, just like the lunatics stripping toilet paper from shelves the world over, at times of crisis it helps to feel that we …

1. ComputerSays_noAbsolutelyNo Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Working from home ...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3lhfVpLL4

-> quite lucid Mitchell and Webb

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Working from home ...?

Many don't work from work.

2. Someone Else Silver badge

Actually, I was reading El Reg, and ... what? That's not working? You sure???

Look, they say the average German male gets 25% of his daily nourishment from beer (the good German kind, the stuff that follows Reinheitsgebot). So, whose to say that I can't get 25% of my daily IT information needed to do my job from El Reg?

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    Go

Added my i9 work rig.

3. Fading
    Terminator

Completed

A couple of covid-19 work units already. This i7 7820X with 1080Ti is certainly a lot faster for F@H then the previous machines I used for my first 100 work units.

1. Tom 7

Re: Completed

I'm running on 1 cpu and it takes about 4 hrs to do one while I'm using the laptop. Tried all 16 cores over lunch (PV running well here) but it cant run the fan fast enough to keep it cool - you could say it gives it a fever and breathing problems!

Need some compressed air to try and clean out fan and airways!

1. UrethralAnts

Re: Completed

I changed my windows power settings on the "Balanced" mode max processor state to 99%, as this disables turbo boosting (at least on a Ryzen), so doesn't put as much heat onto the CPU. That might work for you?

4. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
    Unhappy

I heard about F@H when it first started thanks to the User Friendly (comic strip) team of forum regulars.

Until 2009 my hardware was too limited to be useful. After that, I just didn't care too much nor wanted to spend the electricity.

But lately I have a new comp with cycles to spare, so I joined the CoVi mob and signed up last week.

I think I've done two units; been mostly idle.

If I'm leaving my new big-box running instead of sleeping, please send more work!

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
      Go

Correction

Since they fixed the stats server, I was able to check: 18 units!

And I joined the Folding Vultures, too: "Biting the hand virus that feeds IT locks down the world."

1. Tom 7

Re: Correction

158 as of just now.

I'm breaking out my Jetson to see if I can get that working!

1. Tom 7

Shit - Nvidia are a bit of a problem Open Source wise - given the Jetson Nano is 1/2 terraflop for $120 they could score some brownie points here - my I7 is less than 1/10 that while screaming.

1. GrumpenKraut
            Thumb Up

> Nvidia are a bit of a problem Open Source wise

Understatement of the year.

Still, my i7 (no grfx card) system gets work units since I started yesterday, with only small breaks in between. SWMBO's system with a Nvidia card get no work unit since many hours.

Fun fact: one folding Vulture has the nick "UrethralAnts".

1. UrethralAnts

Hows it going :)

I haven't had a WU for a while unfortunately...

1. GrumpenKraut
                Happy

Hi! No WUs for me either, but as someone said here, this is good news as WU are finished as fast as they can pump them out. Their server(s) seem to be overloaded, not only do you get "Could not get an assignment" but sometimes a "Received short response, expected 512 bytes, got 0".

Icon for you handle.

2. Someone Else Silver badge

Do these machines have to be Windows machines? I have spare cores available that are usually OFF, but they ore on a machine that runs Linux. Can they play?

1. Postscript

There are deb and rpm installers on their alternative downloads page.

5. joeW

Very worthy

I've installed this now.

Here's an idea, could we get an El Reg team going? Vulture Power!

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Re: Very worthy

Done! Folding Vultures are go, team number 250966. Join up, and let's get folding. My Ryzen 5 2600 is just about respectable (although clearly not earth shattering – the 24GB RAM might help though), but my GPU is nothing to write home about... come join in and see what we can do.

1. joeW

Done! Bringing a Ryzen 5 3600 with an RX-5700 to the table. Not the fastest thing out there but should crunch a few numbers.

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Great :) Your CPU apparently has a ~17% edge over mine, but the GPU is all of 541% up... maybe I should upgrade :P

2. Sgt_Oddball
          Thumb Up

I've added my 3700x and GTX1080 this morning and already managed 5 WU (6th and 7th currently being worked on now), tried adding my home server too but kept getting a 'no work order for this configuration error' so I've left it be for now.

With regards to loads, after removing a stupidly noisy corsair fan from my system and replacing it with a spare from my last rig its barely any noiser than a decent gaming session (about 43db from where I'm sat) and it keeps my study nicely warmed. Win all round.

2. UrethralAnts

Lending my 3700x and 2070 super to the mix. Let's get folding!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Bob7300

Joined with a slightly old i7-4770k and a nVidia GTX780.

4. Tom 7

I'm running 1 thread and its using less than 60MB so I guess lots of ram left on yours for 3d pron!

5. cookieMonster Silver badge

Joined. Two machines, not the fastest, but better than nothing.

6. John Gamble

I'm in the middle of building a new machine. When and if I get the last few parts, I'll join in (my current machine is nowhere near capable). Thank you for creating the team.

1. John Gamble

Huh. It turns out my laptop is capable (albeit in 'light' folding power). Here we go.

7. Hubert Cumberdale

Well this is awesome... according to the stats, we already have 44 members and have completed 17 WUs in less than 24 hours! We've reached the heady heights of team #11,947 of 242,342. Mine's sitting idle quite a bit at the moment, and apparently they're working to use their sudden jump in capacity, so I'm going to keep it running for when things get busier. Weirdly, I keep getting GPU units for my feeble card, but it only appears to be using 0.1–0.3% of it despite the slider being at Full, which amounts to almost nothing and means a WU takes a full day. Firefox is using more just sitting there (which probably says more about FF than anything else). It's actually using more of the CPU to keep the GPU fed (~1–2%)... Any suggestions on this front would be welcome.

On the plus side, when I get CPU WUs, they totally max out all 12 logical cores, but balance the priority well enough that I didn't even notice the last one running. This was despite having multiple large Word documents open, an Excel spreadsheet, numerous FF tabs, and Texmaker occasionally compiling stuff. Impressed with that.

1. Bob7300

Check it with GPUz, my 780 is reporting 30% usage in windows and GPUz shows 99%.

8. steviebuk Silver badge

Joined the team. Only have an old i7. Had 64GB RAM but now down to 56GB as had issues with a stick a while ago. And only have a GTX 1060

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Blimey. Only time I ever fill my 24GB is when some shoddy part of Windows 10 has a memory leak and I see silly levels of commit before having to reboot! My general tick-over for day-to-day work is 12GB committed, 3GB standby and 9GB free (with no pagefile – which may spark debate). 56GB has to be enough for some serious 4K video editing :P (And your "only" GTX 1060 is still six times the power of my pathetic Radeon 7750...)

1. steviebuk Silver badge

I only had 64GB RAM because I run a lot of VMs with VMWare Workstation on my PC :)

9. GrumpenKraut
        Go

SWMBO joined Folding Vultures, team number 250966, with her "AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor" (from /proc/cpuinfo). ETA for one work unit is one hour.

1. GrumpenKraut
          Thumb Up

First work unit done (GrumpyGirl): overall rank 2,331,555 of 2,331,555, LOL. No new work unit send right now, which is sort-of-ish good news for the project.

Can anyone tell how useful a machine without graphics card is (sitting at a 6-core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz)?

1. GrumpenKraut

Trying to answer my own question. Ryzen with Nvidia P400: 30 min per working unit, my machine (i7 as above) without graphics card: 2 h 30 min per working unit.

I observe that while 5 cores are claimed only 4 cores have full load, core 5 just has max 10 per cent load.

1. Hubert Cumberdale

I reckon it all helps. I've disabled GPU folding, because my card wasn't really able to get units done in time (and it didn't even seem to be using its full potential for some reason). I'd say 30min is great, and 2h30 is fine, as the timeout is usually 24h. I'm getting about 1h per unit with 12 logical cores (6 physical). I've found that even with all 12 cores allocated (manually) at the Full setting, I don't even notice the load during general working. Maybe it'd be different if I was photo editing or something, but it seems to have set the priority appropriately low so far.

1. GrumpenKraut
                Pint

> ... I don't even notice the load during general working.

Just observed that F@H runs with most friendly priority possible. If you do anything the load on the cores caused by F@H goes to zero, good!

2. Bob7300

I'm running a system with two graphics cards, and the processor often sits idle. I think some WU are GPU specific. But the processor does get one occasionally. I expect more will start arriving once they scale up the work allocation servers.

I would just leave it on ready for the WUs when they arrive.

Also you could look at sticking in an older GPU, I just added a GT640 and it's getting WU allocations.

10. My-Handle

I've got no graphics to speak of, but how does a pair of 8-core 3GHz AMD Opterons and 24Gb of RAM in an HP Proliant DL385 sound?

Downloading FAH now, be seeing you shortly :)

1. My-Handle

Update: No work units currently available for my config :(

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Patience, you must have. If you build it, work units will come. (With apologies for terrible cross-film cultural references.)

11. JetSetJim
        Windows

Done, although have a fairly shit PC FWIW (i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz + 1GB RADEON HD 5770 - it was good about 8 years ago, I suppose). All the client web UI is showing is Cancer, Parkinsons, Huntingtons & Alzheimers - any idea how to get COVID-19 added to the list? Or is this to do with the shortage of Work Units?

1. Postscript

I left it set to "any disease" and it loaded up a C19 task pretty quickly.

1. JetSetJim

Almost done my first WU now - having to rely on CPU only as GPU doesn't support double precision calcs

12. skizzerz

I'm mostly a lurker here, but threw in some of my compute at it to help out :)

13. TheRealRoland

Done.

1. TheRealRoland

weird though - team #250966, right? When looking at the team's members, don't see my handle :-/

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Not sure if anyone will read this now... but there was a problem with stats for a while. It seems to be fixed now. I can't see you either though (unless your name is different on FAH) – have you created a Passkey? I've made a shortcut to an alternative stats site, anyway:

http://vultures.baalamb.net

Over 200 members and counting, and we just made it into the top 2,000 teams. I have a new GPU arriving today, too...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Hiya, I noticed the folding@home's team's homepage has been switched to that. I was a bit puzzled as I thought that would point to ElReg...

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Well, it's not an official Reg team, so I didn't want to seem like I was claiming it was. I'll change it back if people prefer... Maybe a hack could comment on whether they wanted to be associated with it!

1. Marco Fontani

This kind of "hack" says: no problem at all (in fact, even better) IMO: the 250966 team's mentioned in this article as being made up of a bunch of Reg commentards (well, "Reg Readers" - but that's different lingo), so go for it :)

Might be also nice to link to this article, rather than the homepage, too.

I'll shut up and continue crunching - the runner-up is getting perilously close.

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Good point. I've changed the link to take people to joeW's post where he suggested setting up the team. I've vaguely thought about setting up a landing page with a description and other links, but I've got actual work to do! All suggestions welcome, though.

PS – Great work on the points front. You must have an absolute beast of a graphics card to get 1.33 million points in one day on a single client yesterday! I'm gonna play the guessing game... I reckon an RTX 2080 or maybe a TITAN?

1. Marco Fontani

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, close enough!

I've not enabled the CPU ones as despite liquid cooling the fans go crazy and even I can hear them...

The graphics card is making some fan noise and it's disturbing my partner... so I might have to take the system down for a thorough cleaning during the week-end.

2. skizzerz

Glad to give you a challenge ;)

I've got 3 systems I'm throwing at it, one of them only part time since the noise and heat would keep me up at night otherwise (plus it seems to have some overheating issues if it runs at full blast for too long despite having liquid cooling).

Part time i7 6700k with 2x 2080 Ti founders editions -- at least one of the GPUs tend to sit idle more often than not though

Full time VM on a dual xeon e5-2620 v4 with 8 cores allocated (need the rest for my other VMs)

Full time i7 8700b

So... beating all of that with a single 1080 Ti is rather impressive, so kudos :)

14. Champ

Just joined :-)

15. Oli Stockman

Just thrown in a spare work server. If I get a moment tomorrow I'll throw some more old servers in to the cause

16. timbrwlf55

16 Cores Xeon E5-2667v2 added to the mix and this is all it will be doing for the time being. This was to be a db / software server for project at work but covid hitting the fan derailed project start just before we were set to get things up and running. Got approval from the boss to dedicate it to this project until we're a go.

2. Marc 13

I'm in.

3. jonathan keith

Added my Ryzen 3700 rig into the mix. Go Vultures! Awk! Awk! Awk!

1. phuzz Silver badge

It's bringing home to me quite how much spare capacity a 16 (logical) core CPU can have.

When I do get a CPU workload for F@H, I can still use the computer for basic web browsing etc. with zero impact.

6. jon909

Anyone complaining about the extra leccy cost, bare in mind that a computer is hardly any less efficient than an electric heater at heating your home. So if your house is cold, fire up all your PCs, double bubble :)

1. avakum.zahov

The government of Ontario introduced a single flat electricity rate which is approximately half of the normal rate. I think it starts today and will be active for the next couple of weeks, at least. So, no excuse, time to join the team

7. Tom 7

When you say spare cycles...

I used to run F@H but it just ran my system flat out - screaming fans etc. Is it possible to get it to only run a % of my capacity?

1. JClouseau

Re: When you say spare cycles...

Indeed. I've been running World Community Grid (BOINC-based) for years and its very lean GUI allows you for choosing the % of CPU you allow it to use.

The other day I've installed F@H (Win7) and I do think the GUI is not too clear and most of all the settings are a bit rough around the edges.

At first ("Light" setting) it wouldn't use my GPU (GTX1060) at all and very little CPU so I thought something was wrong with my (old) PC, but then I found this page(*) that explains it and switched to "Medium". The CPU went to almost 90% and the GPU to 100% with all fans blowing at full speed.

No, I didn't try "Full".

It's not that I don't want to contribute, but if my main rig gets fried I have a 10-years old Fortnite pro at home who's going to be very pissed.

May give a try with Rosetta@Home which uses BOINC. Still, the guys seem to have plenty of firepower already. Science is cool.

(*) https://foldingathome.org/faqs/fah-v7/v7-introduction/web-control/folding-power-slider/

1. Tom 7

Mine started running as light but used 3 cores so I went into the confif and set it to one thread and its just turning the fan on a little - the kids are doing school work so I cant have it screaming like Dyson when he realises he cant import at the mo!

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Flame

I'm running it (Folding @Home) at Medium, and my system isn't cranking too hard. When I ran BOINC, all the fans were blowing at full speed.

1. JClouseau

OK, perhaps I was a bit lazy at first, now I understand how this goes a bit better. Most of you probably know what's below already but just in case...

Here (Win7, ancient Phenom II X6 + GTX1060) when set to "Medium" I have the CPU running at ~85% and the GPU at 100%. "On idle" unchecked.

Both running at ~60°C.

I understand there are options to throttle CPU usage so I'll be tinkering with that, but this is not possible for the GPU, it's all or nothing. GPUs don't have any of the fancy throttling mechanisms modern CPUs have.

My solution is to use the very nice utility from Gigabyte to underclock the GPU.

Still, with this I can compute a WU (GPU) in 3 or 4 hours so I will be generating one per day.

As a comparison while the GPU was on 1 WU + 30% of the next one, the CPU was still chugging at ~25% of its first WU.

Compared to BOINC I don't understand the notion of WU : BOINC uses one core per "task" for any given project, it's simple. Is a F@H WU a "task", meaning that it is balanced across all cores ? Or is it more complex than that ?

Other than that Rosetta@Home works fine, it allows for "fine throttling" of the CPU, but it cannot use the GPU.

Perhaps a good combination if you want to run this 24/7 without too much strain on the system would be Rosetta at, say, 70/80% of the CPU, and F@H with no CPU slot and an underclocked GPU ?

1. Hubert Cumberdale

I installed Rosetta yesterday, and found it immediately fired up 12 tasks, each using 1GB RAM... my (pagefileless) system didn't enjoy it... Have squished it to 6GB, which seems to limit it to 6 threads. TBH, I'd rather it did one task across 12 cores than 12 tasks each needing their own chunk of RAM. Seems more friendly to working on my machine at the same time. This is a big advantage of FAH, in my opinion. Though I have 24GB to play with, I'm usually using 12 just ticking over with day-to-day usage. Maybe I should re-enable the pagefile, but I'm reluctant... old habits die hard. (Yes, I understand the reasons why not having a pagefile might be a bad idea, but if I can have 8GB RAM and a 16GB pagefile, surely I can have 24GB RAM and no pagefile... Space on my SSD is limited, and I'm buggered if I'm letting it scribble on my spinning rust. I'm prepared for things to suddenly die for want of RAM in extremis. I'd rather that than sudden disk dumping – it saves me time in the long run.)

1. GrumpenKraut

With tasks accessing the memory in a more or less random way, disabling paging/swapping makes a lot of sense. Once any non-trivial amount of memory gets paged in and out (all the time), your cores are mostly idle, waiting for memory pages (thrashing). I have seen slowdowns by a factor of more than 1000, the computer basically doing nothing but testing how many operations the disk will survive.

Dedicated "out of core" algorithms exist for certain tasks (e.g, for FFTs) but unless the documentation says they have that feature it is better to assume that it absent.

3. Clunking Fist

I'm running it on 3 machines.

One is a Q6600 that we only use to watch netflicks on our dumb tele. I opted for full, but haven't noticed extra noise... but it is a noisy machine at idle anyway.

The other is a i7-2600 for watching netflx on our other dumb tv, and that doesn't seem any noisy than usual.

The third is a i7-6700 built in an old case that isn't particularly quiet, but doesn't seem any noisy than usual either.

They are normally sleeping or hibernating, so having them on is noticeable if you are in the same room. But they aren't in bedrooms, so they can run all night without disturbing us. And keep us warm.

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

how much higher was your electric bill? I estimated $50-$100/month running things like that... screaming fans, CPU maxed out, etc.. There were a couple o' projects from the mid noughties I tried, Seti@Home being one of them. But modern CPUs have lightweight power usage during idle states, so no screaming fans, no high electric bills from leaving them on all the time... unless you run stuff like this.

and the other thing: It's a fair bet (in my mind) that these work units weren't coded using the MOST EFFICIENT TECHNIQUES. for all I know, they're doing the research scientists' equivalent of a BUBBLE SORT. So before they ask for my computer time to be donated, I'd like to see some peer review on their algorithms...

besides - the BEST research is being done by physicians in hospitals with various experimental (but promising) treatments on real patients right now. "Feel Good"-ism might warm up your house in the vicinity of your computer, but how much good is it REALLY doing?

/me proposes that ONE good programmer and data analyst is worth a MILLION 'screaming fan' machines... given a reasonable amount of time, coming up with efficient algorithms and simulations, rather than throwing data against a wall of computing resources, which is [in my opinion] VERY likely to be the case.

We're not cracking ENIGMA, which sometrimes involved a lot of repeated-trial-and-error until they found the one that worked. But then again, THEY made THEIR process efficient, back then, and were reading Hitler's mail in real time! And so we should do that NOW, make the virus research algorithms as efficient as possible, BEFORE recruiting a bunch of donated CPU resources.

1. My-Handle

Look, if you don't want to use it then don't. But please don't disparage people who are putting a lot of effort into trying to help. It might be entirely useless, but running this thing actually doesn't impact me (or a lot of people) much at all. And it's pretty likely to have some kind of a positive effect.

As to your proposal that one good programmer and data analyst is worth a million machines... how does one good programmer and data analyst with the power of a million machines match up?

I just fed the troll, didn't I?

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Protein folding simulations involve stochastic processes, and what FAH essentially does is throw random numbers at the wall to see what sticks. Each folding operation is pretty efficient, but yes, there will be >99% non-world-changing data generated. However, to get that remaining <1%, we have to throw a lot of computing power at it. I can tell you one thing: it's a damn sight more useful than coin mining. If we could somehow throw all the exaFLOPS used for mining at this, the world would be a better place.

1. GrumpenKraut
            Pint

> If we could somehow throw all the exaFLOPS used for mining at this, the world would be a better place.

Amen to that!

8. Flywheel
    Thumb Up

Can't get the work (units)

I flung my combined room heater and phat old server into it and have been crunching Covid-19 work units that they've allocated 3 days for in less than 6 hours. Only problem is they keep running out of work units, so now it's sat idle for more time than I'd like, but it's great to know that a community like this can (safely) come together to hopefully make a difference!

1. Vikingforties
      Pint

Re: Can't get the work (units)

Check out Rosetta@Home on the BOINC distributed computing client. They're working on Covid-19 too. If there's no Folding@Home work units you can switch over to Rosetta. The projects are complimentary - Rosetta calculates protein shape and Folding, well, folds them.

1. Timbo

Re: Can't get the work (units)

Just be aware that Folding @home and BOINC are two quite different systems - so both need to be installed separately.

Folding allows you to pick certain tasks although any one can be downloaded to your PC for crunching.

[url]https://foldingathome.org/iamoneinamillion/[/url]

BOINC supports many different projects, of which two are making efforts to tackle Covid-19 issues - Rosetta@home is already up and running and TN-Grid will be doing something similar. Both can be chosen to be installed via the BOINC Manager interface that needs to be installed.

[url]https://boinc.berkeley.edu/[/url]

[url]http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/[/url]

[url]http://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/[/url]

9. Ian Johnston Silver badge

I signed up yesterday. According to the log files the client completed 99% of its first assigned task, then gave up. It seems to be hung now, so I have killed it off.Sorry, guys, but if I am going to give you access to my computer it will have to be with something I can trust not to fuck up.

1. Clunking Fist

They haven't fucked up: they are running out of bandwidth and are working with a number of folk (incl Linus TechTips with their 10Gb fibre link) to move some of the server load off-site. They are also in the process of ramping up the work pipeline, as they are pleasantly overwhelmed by the sudden uptake: at least 3 publications have highlighted what they are doing, all at the same time (some folk have switched from SETi to fold@home). Plus they are a university programme, not a corporation. So maybe give them a break?

1. Giovani Tapini
        Go

also encouraged by BBC news & BBC world service

While talking about the sad ending of Seti@home for now

10. stewwy
    Go

For those at home with a good rig

Just let it run for a few hours it WILL pick up work as it is available - over the last 2 days mine has been working about 70% of the time, set on medium while I'm browsing.

Medium settings (on a 3950x/vega 64,32gb memory) runs at 30 cores leaving 2 cores for me :-)

Using the creators settings on ryzen master my average temp is around 60 after 2 hours or so.

Also a nice test for your rig :-)

I'm also investigating using my 3d Printer too make facemasks or ventilators,Some guys in Italy have designs undergoing tests.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: For those at home with a good rig

Hey! Someone else with a Vega 64! *waves*

Mine's water cooled, so even running full tilt the core hasn't quite hit 60C

11. IgorS

Would be amazing, if true.

Since most of the compute come from gaming hardware with very dismal fp64 FLOPS capacity, 470 fp64 PFLOPS would be more like 20 fp32 EFLOPS! (and most compute is likely not fp64)

I find that really hard to believe.

I could not find any concrete stats to back this up.

1. Fading

Depends on the GPU...

Any gamers using the AMD Radeon VII will be donating 3.45 Tflops of double precision compute performance. My lowly 1080 Ti can only manage 354.4 Gflops. But that's the beauty of distributed computing - the power is in the numbers not the individual.

12. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Devil

FreeBSD port

Make sure you update your ports tree, and then:

cd /usr/ports/biology/linux-foldingathome && make install clean

Unfortunately, a pkg install isn't available, as their restrictive license forbids it...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: FreeBSD port

And it fails with a kernel too old message on 11.3, the current production release.

I'll try a manual install later. If that fails, I'll considering updating to 12.1 unless anyone has other options to try.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: FreeBSD port

Ah, that's a shame. It doesn't seem to depend on anything other than the linux base and emulation, so I'm guessing it needs a more recent linux emulation than 11.3 has, in which case you're probably stuck unless you upgrade....

12.1 is a production release too :-)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Academics

Colour me skeptical that the nerds of the world are going to rush in and save everyone like some episode of The Last Ship. This is the real world, not some science fiction fantasy.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      FAIL

-1, Troll

2. Richard 12 Silver badge
      Boffin

The nerds of the world are the only way out of this.

Where exactly do you think vaccines and treatments come from?

This specific project may not succeed in finding anything quickly enough, but unless many teams of "nerds" search in many different ways, millons will die.

1. stiine Silver badge
        Happy

I agree with your sentiment, but sometimes they come from wonderful mistakes.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
          Boffin

It still takes someone to say "that's strange", and investigate the happy mistake.

Most normal people would just toss out the mouldy sample and start over. We'll never know how many did just that before Sir Fleming spotted something a bit strange.

3. localzuk Silver badge

I think you may not understand how scientific and medical improvements are made... It is nerds that do that. Mostly in labs, yes, but there's a lot of computing that goes into it all these days. So, yes, the "nerds of the world" are going to rush in and save everyone. That's their job.

4. Aqua Marina

It's not as much the nerds rushing in to save us all that bothers me, it's who gets to profit from this afterwards? It's all very well everyone making a concerted effort to crowdsource the work required for a cure, only for some corporation to step in at the 11th hour, patent it and withhold it to maximise profits for a few shareholders. I can't really remember the last time a cure for anything didn't come with a patent attached. Maybe Lorenzo's Oil perhaps.

1. tel2016

The results are public domain

5. Someone Else Silver badge

What? Do you think tRump is going to magically lead our way out of this?!? Puh-LEEEZE!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Why not? He knows about this stuff. He's very good, Very very good. His uncle was a scientist after all, so of course he knows this stuff.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Most of the computer nerds you speak of - me included - have no idea how to research a vaccine.

We do, however, know that those who do know, need oodles of CPU power to test their simulations, so we are helping out..

Just like 50,000 people giving money to a cancer charity doesn't mean said 50,000 people are going to personally cure cancer.

Is that really so hard to grasp?

14. Roger Kynaston

got to work now

Tasks: 310 total, 2 running, 250 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

%Cpu(s): 8.9 us, 9.5 sy, 65.5 ni, 16.1 id, 0.1 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st

KiB Mem : 16005364 total, 8189480 free, 3927256 used, 3888628 buff/cache

KiB Swap: 999420 total, 999420 free, 0 used. 10942376 avail Mem

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND

5623 fahclie+ 39 19 428184 173880 13548 R 292.4 1.1 11:14.56 FahCore_a7

4679 rkynast+ 20 0 2905864 283376 123000 S 25.7 1.8 11:39.29 Web Content

4504 rkynast+ 20 0 4159288 503024 207480 S 7.3 3.1 37:57.16 firefox

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Re: got to work now

Interesting. Now take you random piles of lower-case ASCII and get of my lawn!

2. Steve K
      Joke

Re: got to work now

Hmm - those METARS look like weather is bad over rkynast

15. Mmm interesting

Have used BOINC for years contributing to fighting AIDS and all sorts of cancer projects. Glad to help and adjusting the settings is simple on the gui. Never interfered with my work so would reccomend. Have stealth installed on clients pcs (hide system icon) as well with no repercussions yet....

1. ragnar

You shouldn't do this.

2. AndyMM

I have been doing seti and boinc for more than a decade. But putting it on clients system is asking for serious criminal charges (you are stealing their electricity). Please do not do this, apart from anything else it will give other distributed@home a bad name.

1. JClouseau
        Go

Corporate Crunching ?

Agree. What could be done is to ask officially your employer (major IT vendor here) to install whatever useful grid computing software on some big iron in demo rooms, test/PoC labs, currently idle or much less used because of the confinement.

It would be more symbolic than anything, but a nice symbol.

16. Bob7300

I seem to remember this was available on the early PS3, but was removed. They should look at rolling it as an app for ps4 & Xbox One.

17. StargateSg7

One company is doing its part by using highly advanced supercomputers to simulate/explore the use of lipid molecules to encase Ethyl and Propyl groups. The lipids that have a specific affinity for the surface proteins of the Corona Virion will attach ONLY to that protein bundle and not other body cells/structures.

The lipid that contains Ethyl/Propyl alcohols will encase the entire virion or the spiky projections of the Coronavirus Virion which will then allow the Ethyl/Propyl groups to release onto and then denature the Virion itself, blowing it apart and poisoning/disconnecting the interior RNA/DNA sequences so it cannot replicate. They've already had much success and are seeding parts of the new-found knowledge to teams worldwide.

I'm not the medical/physics guy so that's MY blurb on what they're doing!

P.S. Corona is a word that means CROWN of which MANY have spiky bejeweled projections coming out from the base - ergo, you get Crowned-Virus as the origin of the word!

18. tel2016

Installed and joined Team El_Reg

Team number 250966

My laptop is measly, but every little helps

1. karma mechanic

Re: Installed and joined Team El_Reg

Same here, machine is far too powerful for just pr0n so this gets the cobwebs out of the fans.

Might get the old Dell laptop to do its bit shortly. Can sit around it and toast marshmallows later.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Installed and joined Team El_Reg

My raspberry Pis probably won't be worth engaging, nor will this laptop.

I have signed up for the NHS volunteers through Goodsam though. Such a shambolic process it was, I doubt they will ever manage to put 250,000 people to good use.

1. Shadow Systems

A question about the Raspberry Pi.

Please foregive my ignorance on the matter, I can't seem to configure my RPi worth a damn.

Is it possible to configure an RPi to work as a F@H client & run 24/7/365 to donate it's admittedly meager computational nudges to the overall effort?

Could a person create their own small farm of RPI's (a server farm of Pi? A PiFarm!) & configure them to run lots of nudges to the effort?

What kind of effort could a (small) army of geeks/nerds all contributing their PiFarms to the totality do to benefit even moreso than just using their gaming/workstation rigs to do their parts?

Is a PiFarm even possible, or do I need to take my dried frog pills again?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just joined the team!, and spreading the word to folks I know!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have a couple of nice rigs at work, off-corporate network; normally used for FEA. Before our office closed down (ahead of the gov't) advice; I pointed the lot at F@H.

Apparently F@H now has so much processing capability it can't keep up with recieving the results and dishing new work out.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remember kids

Virus scan than downloaded exe file!

- Joke

1. Astarte

Re: Remember kids

Not a joke - I scan such files when they arrive in my download folder.

Just seems like common sense to me.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Remember kids

On Windows most browsers notify the OS when they download a file, and it's automatically scanned by whatever virus checker you have installed before it's saved to disk in the final location.

eg, in Firefox it's controlled by the browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone setting.

22. Camilla Smythe

No CUDA No libOpenCL No GPUs :(

OS Arch: AMD64

10:07:50: GPUs: 0

10:07:50:CUDA Device 0: Platform:0 Device:0 Bus:7 Slot:0 Compute:6.1 Driver:10.1

10:07:50: OpenCL: Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'libOpenCL.so':

10:07:50: libOpenCL.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or

10:07:50: directory

Ryzen 2700X 16 cores available. GEFORCE GTX1050

Linux Mint 19.3 How do I get the GPU on the case?

1. molletts

Re: No CUDA No libOpenCL No GPUs :(

Are you running the nvidia official drivers?

Also, a Reddit post here suggests that you need to install the OpenCL client drivers with "sudo apt-get install ocl-icd-libopencl1".

(Disclaimer: I don't use Mint so I can't test this.)

1. Camilla Smythe

Re: No CUDA No libOpenCL No GPUs :(

Tah. Used: sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev

Not sure what is going on but now I show 1 GPU slot and 1 CPU slot running. I had to mess about in config, override -1 on some settings to get the GPU up. Again no idea as to what it did. The only indication that the GPU is doing something is the progress bar is moving and the temperature has gone up from 50C to 67C even though GPU utilisation is stuck down at 3% when I wiggle the mouse.

13:33:14:<config>

13:33:14: <!-- Client Control -->

13:33:14: <fold-anon v='true'/>

13:33:14:

13:33:14: <!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->

13:33:14: <gpu v='false'/>

13:33:14: <!-- Network -->

13:33:14: <proxy v=':8080'/>

13:33:14: <!-- Slot Control -->

13:33:14: <power v='full'/>

13:33:14: <!-- User Information -->

13:33:14: <team v='250966'/>

13:33:14: <user v='Camilla_Smythe'/>

13:33:14: <!-- Folding Slots -->

13:33:14: <slot id='0' type='GPU'>

13:33:14: <cuda-index v='0'/>

13:33:14: <gpu-index v='0'/>

13:33:14: <opencl-index v='0'/>

13:33:14: </slot>

13:33:14: <slot id='1' type='CPU'/>

13:33:14:</config>

13:33:37:WU00:FS01:0xa7:Completed 10000 out of 500000 steps (2%)

13:34:14:WU01:FS00:0xa7:Completed 240000 out of 500000 steps (48%)

23. baud

Does Folding @Home generate a lot of network trafic? Before starting I'd prefer to be sure I won't impact the other users of the home network.

1. Camilla Smythe

Presumably only to download and return work files. My first download was only 4.5MByte. System monitor on my box shows no additional network anything whilst the thing is heating up my computer. Go for it.

1. baud

Thank you. I just installed it.

24. TheProf
    Thumb Up

Waiting time

I waited in a queue for 2 hours before finally downloading the first work unit.

Let's hope that's the only queuing we see from now on.

25. Camilla Smythe

Yay!1!

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Camilla_Smythe

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Yay!1!

That seems overloaded, you can also try this third party site:

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/search.php

26. 96percentchimp
    Pint

My PC is *THIS* big!

I had no idea this would turn into such a cock-waving contest!

But seriously, well done everyone, and don't forget you can still give blood during the crisis. They need it just as much as ever - and it counts as an essential journey if you want to get out of the house ;)

1. Cassini

Re: My PC is *THIS* big!

And mine is even bigger!

I have a Linux 32 cpu AMD core system with 256 GB RAM and over 26 TB of disk space on ZFS. Beat that! :)

Seriously though, I have joined Rosetta, but can't find an El_Reg team to join. Is it called something else, or should I set one up?

1. JClouseau

Hi,

A "Linux 32" ? Bah, I only run Linux 64-bits :)

I found team "Vulture Central XV", not sure how active it is but the name definitely rings a bell.

1. Cassini

I've joined Vulture Central - let's see what happens. Anyone else going to join?

2. Hubert Cumberdale

Folding Vultures! Team 250966.

1. JClouseau

Cassini was asking about Rosetta@Home (BOINC)

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Ah, my bad. Should've RTFP.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"[...] and don't forget you can still give blood during the crisis."

UK. A friend who has always been a blood donor - has been told she can't donate at the moment because she is over 70.

27. riffrafff

I can typically complete one Work Unit, then it spends the rest of the day simply trying.

"ERROR:WU01:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You are in the queue to be assigned a WU ... Patience my young padawan, it will connect and download soon enough

28. Hubert Cumberdale

Folding Vultures update

Just to say, Folding Vultures (team 250966) now has 84 members and has entered the dizzy heights of the top 10,000 teams. Whoever AgentMyth is... wouldn't mind a bit of your system – it's responsible for nearly half the team points so far! Nice work.

1. Drewski84

Re: Folding Vultures update

I've been lurking here for about 10 years, created an account to say I'm in too. Unfortunately only with an fx8320, gtx970 & gtx760 - curiously the 760 picked up a job, but the 970 is say idle.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Oh cool - thanks a lot, everyone! We'll see if we can get some more gear involved.

C.

1. NetBlackOps

Glad to back on the team again.

29. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Linux

No love for Linux?

The F@H Linux software is too old to run on modern Ubuntu and some other distros. Similar projects on BOINC not only work on Linux, but get most of their compute power from it.

1. Blitheringeejit
      Linux

Re: No love for Linux?

>>The F@H Linux software is too old to run on modern Ubuntu and some other distros.

Not my experience - I have it running fine on latest Ubuntu, and a Mint 18.x machine, but when I tried on my old Ubuntu 14.04 box, the Control app wouldn't connect to the Client.

But I would like to know more about platform comparisons - eg is there any difference in performance or usefulness between running it on Windows and linux machines, and would I be better running multiple VMs or a single host on full whack - any knowledgeable folks out there?

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Ubuntu 19+ doesn't support the python-gnome2 package that it needs.

2. riffrafff

I have it running on Ubuntu 18.04.4. It runs on the CPU fine (when I can get a WU), but will not recognize my Vega 56 GPU. :(

1. riffrafff

And suddenly, the GPU is working. First time ever. After weeks (months?) of re-enabling it in Config. WTF.

Anyways, it's all good now, I guess.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's running fine on my main desktop OC (Linux Mint) and my teeny Lenovo mini-laptop/tablet running a forked version of Ubuntu (cant recall the distro name now, it wasnt one I'd heard of but was the only one that installed with the screen the correct way up rather than rotated 90 degrees). It's also doing SOMEthing (only just installed it and so not sure if it's actually working ok until it gets its first WU) on my backup desktop PC which is very venerable indeed.

Folding Vultures seem to be racing up the board - ranked 1,325 when I looked at the stats a little while ago. Well done all, keep it up!

30. Angry IT Monkey

Been running this anonymously for a few days, had no idea El Reg had a team.

Running in a tower with a GTX 1050 Ti the fan is hardly noticeable on medium. Quadro in the work laptop is though!

31. llama1911

The original El Reg Folding@Home team: Vulture Central 2.2

Set up in 2007; join the old timers!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/27/grid_cancer_research_results/

https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/69263

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=69263

No matter what team you join, it's for a damn good cause.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: The original El Reg Folding@Home team: Vulture Central 2.2

Cool, thanks a lot!

C.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BOINC

Been running BOINC for ages with no problems. However, after 3 days of waiting, I'm still not getting any WU from F@H.

Good news is that there is a BOINC project - Rosetta@home, that is also doing COVID stuff, not sure it's the same stuff as F@H.

So for now, I'm sticking with the BOINC stuff - every bit helps, but my spirit is with you guys!

1. Fading

Re: BOINC

Must be aiming for particular GPU's on F@H - my 1080 Ti gets a WU every time I connect (don't have it on 24/7 as need to keep the noise down during conference/video calls) .

33. Tom 7

Cant get any assignements today!

I take that to be a good thing!

34. Miss Config
    Holmes

Public Service Donation

What surprises me is that no big IT company such as Google has said to vaccine researchers :

You want a ton of computing power ? Here it is. Be our guest.

It is not only a definitive case of Public Service but it would be both great Publicity AND a place in the history books to be able to say :

The company whose computers helped find the covid-19 vaccine

1. JClouseau
      Thumb Up

Re: Public Service Donation

A tad smaller than Google, but definitely doing something about that :

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/newsroom/blog-post/2020/03/challenging-times-call-for-clear-heads-purpose-driven-priorities-and-a-focus-on-communities.html

Mind you, with their "legacy" HPC and now the Cray people and resources, I believe they can do interesting things. Not to mention Aruba wireless deployments in makeshift "hospitals", etc...

Antonio Neri seems to be a rather decent fellow, especially compared to others CEOs. I guess the fact he's Italian only added to the incentive.

Publicity, genuine good will, whatever, anything goes to fight against this little biatch.

1. JClouseau

Missed that one, and the link is actually on this very site's frontpage (NextPlatform. I never click, it's usually serious stuff) :

https://www.nextplatform.com/2020/03/23/bringing-330-petaflops-of-supercomputing-to-bear-on-the-outbreak/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We're most definitely not Google, but we've knocked up a >150 core server cluster and set it off folding ... hopefully it helps!

35. martin777

I'm folding. Team 250966. Project 13861. Linux.

Cheers.

Oklahoma City. USA

36. ADRM
    Go

AMD Crunching

Got my 2 main systems running 24/7 and added a third PC that was not in use. Ryzen 2700X and a EVGA 970 an 8350 and EVGA 960 and a 8320 and a Gigabyte Gt450. In less than 24 hours got 65K points. Have a Radeon HD7770 sitting spare but not sure about to different video cards in one machine. May be I'll have to knock up a system out of a case just to put that video card to use. Joined Team 250966 Folding Vultures.

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Re: AMD Crunching

You can run multiple GPUs with FAH – each GPU gets a separate work unit – and modern systems (with an appropriately rated PSU) should handle it. I've just got myself an RX 580 (not super high-end, but fairly cheap on eBay at ~£80), and that runs at around 450,000 points per day (assuming it can get the WUs). It seems that GPU folding is way faster than CPU.

1. GrumpenKraut

> It seems that GPU folding is way faster than CPU.

Judging by point-count you cite that seems to be true. But there may be situations where CPU only is not that bad. From the top of my head, if the FPU can do transcendental functions (exp etc.) that would be an advantage against GPU when needed, or when tons of communication between threads is required, or when there is a lot of conditional branches in the code.

1. Hubert Cumberdale

I'm not saying GPUs are good at everything... just folding! I gather they're better at doing repetitive, relatively (numerically) simple, embarrassingly parallel stuff. Otherwise we'd've all given up on CPU architecture by now. But yes, I've turned off CPU folding since getting a passable GPU. However, I do believe that there are some WUs that require a CPU. So people shouldn't all abandon CPU folding.

But anyway... I'll wait until I get a better CPU cooler before turning it back on... and maybe some better exhaust fans too. Since I've now got what is essentially a 180W heater sitting under it, at full load my CPU was heading for throttling territory at 95°C. I undervolted it to 1.0V (which I was surprised it dealt with stably) and that's improved things a bit, but that's no real substitute for a good cooling system!

1. GrumpenKraut
            Boffin

> ... wait until I get a better CPU cooler ...

Top tip: disallow the CPU frequency boost partially or (better) completely.

That top end of he freq. range is very energy-inefficient compared to (up to) base freq. For my machine (i7-8700K, 6 cores), base freq. 3.7 GHz, boost 4.7 GHz, the difference at full load is "almost silent" versus "WOOOOSH!". Really, give it a try, you may skip buying a new cooler altogether!

Not science, but I like that icon.

2. ADRM
        Mushroom

It is the PSU or anything hardware its the drivers. Putting both AMD and NVIDIA video drivers on one system is asking for trouble.

37. Bloody Typical

Had the docker image running on my UNRaid box for a few days now so thats giving the G8 Microserver's xeon a workout, the ol GTX770 in my desktop is showing it's age as it's taking about 9 hours per WU, the i7 3770 chomps through one in under 2 hours which isn't so bad.

1. GrumpenKraut

Note the there seem to be separate WUs for CPU and GPU.

Right now the (CPU-)WUs come in without any delay.

38. Camilla Smythe

Just about to dip below rank of 1000

Was about 12,000 on the 25th.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Folding Vultures now ranked 985th

We're through the 1000th mark! Yaay!

1. GrumpenKraut
      Pint

Re: Folding Vultures now ranked 985th

There are two vulture teams, 250966, Folding Vultures (the new team) and 69263, Vulture Central 2.2 (the old team).

As jobs keep coming me and SWMBO keep our systems running day and night.

Celebratory beer -------->

40. GrumpenKraut
    Mushroom

Tze w00t!

2.3 exaFLOPs as of April 8. Let's burn the fucker.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still ticking along - 415th as of today

Wonder if it'll break into the top 300.

1. RuffianXion
      Go

Re: Still ticking along - 415th as of today

Given that the overal no.1-ranked folder has joined our team (and seems to be folding for us exclusively) - https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/1437 - I'd say that was pretty likely. I wouldn't want their electricity bill landing on my doormat!

1. tel2016
        Pint

Re: Still ticking along - 415th as of today

The No1 folder is not a specific person, but anyone who hasn't set up a username, so is folding as the catch-all 'Anonymous'.

However, some of those have chosen to fold as part of team 'Folding Vultures' (team 250966).

Have a virtual beer on me though, because as I write, the team is ranked 379 out of 253,437.

42. Bodestone

Re: Need to really P!$$ them off so they go elsewhere

I notice we've tripped a UK billion: 412,426 go to Team Folding Vultures's total of 1,003,224,566

I've only switched to the Vultures since the post lockdown news.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Team has hit #241

I've had a 10CPU VM running the FaH appliance on some spare blade capacity in our on-prem DC, just added a second VM as we have the bandwidth.

Used the instructions here to create a lightweight VM.

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2020/03/how-to-manually-install-folding-home-on-vmware-photon-os.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like