back to article Internet use up 40 per cent in San Francisco Bay Area – but you know what’s even higher? Yep, alcohol, weed use

With the San Francisco Bay Area, including Silicon Valley, on its third week of self-quarantine, and facing at least another month of being stuck in near-lockdown at home, habits have changed. Internet use has jumped by roughly 40 per cent, with millions working from home, where possible, and using video-conferencing to get …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Makes sense

Don't know about weed but alcohol is a disinfectant.

1. storner

Re: Makes sense

Not strong enough, I'm afraid. To kill off the corona kritters you need something around 85-90% proof, which is much higher than you'll get in any fine scottish malts.

And no, using two glasses instead of one won't do the trick. You are much better off just drinking them.

1. analyzer

Between 60% and 70% alcohol content which is 105 to 122.5 proof in the UK 120 to 140 in the US. It has to be at least 60% ABV to destroy the fat coat of the virus and must stay on your hands for around 20 seconds. If it is more than 70% ABV then there is insufficient other content to hold the alcohol and it will evaporate too quickly.

How do I know? Even if I drink that bottle of 14 YO Balvenie matured in Caribbean rum cask in my drinks cabinet in one go I will still have more alcohol on the outside of me :-(

1. Kane
          Joke

"It has to be at least 60% ABV to destroy the fat coat of the virus..."

Soap works better to destroy the lipid structure, but it doesn't taste as good.

Yeah, yeah, selective quoting etc, etc.

2. msknight

"I never thought my hands would see more alcohol than my mouth."

3. Unicornpiss
          Pint

"Even if I drink that bottle of 14 YO Balvenie matured in Caribbean rum cask in my drinks cabinet in one go I will still have more alcohol on the outside of me :-("

Yes, but you won't really care at that point. At least not until the next morning..

4. Dr_N
          Pint

@analyzer

I see your 14yr old Caribbean Cask and raise you (a glass of) 15 yr old Single Barrel. (Amongst many, many others.)

2. Michael

Glenfarclas 105 is a fine Scotch which happens to be 105 proof at 60% alcohol content. Fortunately I still have a couple of bottles left to help should I get a sore throat. Or get thirsty. Actually, I've a couple of other cask strength bottles somewhere.Looks like my 'working' day will become a bit merrier than usual.

3. gypsythief
        Terminator

Talisker Cask Strength (when they do it) is usually released at around the 60% ABV mark, so that should do the job.

Of course, if you're heathen enough to waste it outside of you instead of inside, you'll get what's coming to you ----->

Edit: Where'd that post from Micheal come from? That wasn't there a moment ago! Never mind, there's obviously another with good taste around these parts :)

1. KarMann Silver badge
          Pint

Dammit, you're making me jealous. I was just supposed to go to Skye after this past Boxing Day, but ended up cancelling due to combination of weather & illness. I was looking forward to paying Talisker a visit.

the closest I can get here -->

1. gypsythief

Well worth going if you get chance; Skye's lovely, and as I remember the Talisker distillery is in a wonderfully remote spot (as I remember; it's been two decades since I went (gulp; where'd time go?!)

The tour I had was very good, although the highlight came at the end when we'd been herded into the shop: I witnessed an American gentleman purchase a (very, very old) bottle of whiskey.

It had a price tag of £10,000.

2. Michael

Mmm. I've run out of Talisker. I generally prefer Islay, Lagavulin for preference, but I seem to spend too much time in Speyside and I can't seem to pass a distillery without buying another bottle.

4. JPeasmould

Cask strength Laphroig might do it..

2. Unicornpiss
      Joke

You can sanitize from the inside out.

2. the Jim bloke
    Pint

Alcohol is a Solvent

So use it to solve your problems

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: Alcohol is a Solvent

Simpsons did it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVwR0rw5fk

3. mevets

as many as...

The range is something like 240 000 .. 2 400 000. Even the great orange twat saw he couldn't huckster around that.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"The range is something like 240 000 .. 2 400 000"

The range is 100,000 to 240,000 with intervention and social distancing, and 2.2 million without. Since we're now, slowly, intervening, we took the lower estimate.

C.

4. RyokuMas
    Stop

Is this any surprise?

Personally, I'm really concerned at what the suicide rate is going to be like, once this is all over and we look back on it.

I know from experience how soul-destroying it is when you're stuck in one place on your own for days on end... and that without the additional pressure of not being able to go to the shops, pub etc.

Yes, social distancing etc is going to save lives of those who would otherwise be vulnerable to such a virus... but how many others will be scarred mentally - or worse, have lost or taken their own lives - due to the isolation. Humans are pack animals.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Is this any surprise?

On the other hand, I predict a jump in births around the November to December time frame. Just as obvious as the increase in recreational chemical use, I know...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And in 2033 we'll have the quaranteens!

1. Michael

Coronials surely?

2. Mark 85

On the other hand, I predict a jump in births around the November to December time frame. Just as obvious as the increase in recreational chemical use, I know...

Similar events occur 9 months after major snowstorms shut things down for a few days. So this really isn't surprising.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

In the USA the odds are that the suicide (+associated fentenol death) rate due to unemployment will be higher than the Covid death rate for a large part of society.

5. Do Not Fold Spindle Mutilate
    Alert

Dont pass that spiff cause it is tainted with spit.

You don't share a drink because bugs will be shared with it. So don't pass around the spiff

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Dont pass that spiff cause it is tainted with spit.

Apparently the consumption of edibles has gone up significantly. In any case, if you're not leaving the house, the only people you'd be passing with are presumably members of your own household, who might otherwise accuse you of extreme bogarting.

2. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Dont pass that spiff cause it is tainted with spit.

Edibles is where its at. Quite apart from sharing joints being unhealthy drawing anything deeply into your llungs really not a good idea at the moment. (Singing appears to be really bad for your health.....)

Recommend gummies rather than cookies. For DiY types you can get your THC in dispensers that are like miniature syringes so you can load your baked goods to appropriate levels (keep "couch lock" to a miniumum -- unless that's what you're into).

6. Mark 85

Weed, not just in California

Oregon declared the pot market to be essential and their businesses are booming.

7. Celeste Reinard

odd

I started this lifestyle some 30 years ago - and now I read about what I am doing in El Reg. ... And yet I don't see myself as 'avant-garde' - is it the rest playing catch-up? Interesting it is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like