back to article Huawei rotating Chairman: Chinese government will not 'just stand by and watch Huawei be slaughtered'

Huawei's rotating chairman reckons the Chinese government will retaliate against the US tech industry rather than allow the giant of the Middle Kingdom to be "slaughtered on the chopping board"* of US sanctions. This was among the many claims and stark admissions made by Eric Xu this morning at a press conference in Huawei's …

1. EvilDrSmith Silver badge

>Yes, we know animals are not slaughtered on chopping boards, but we thought Xu painted a graphic picture.

Well, according to some reports, they (effectively) are, in the 'Wet Markets' in China. That's why we're all currently working from home (regardless of whether we're doing it on Huawei kit or not)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I used to be fact driven...

And understand that Huawei was probably safe-ish on the edge but best kept out of the core...

But after Covid there's a bigger picture and proactively not supporting China after crippling the planet might be a thought...

1. Irongut

Re: Well I used to be fact driven...

So you thought you'd change to being a racist dickhead?

1. fuserly

Surely if it is ok to blame the English for things that were allegedly done centuries ago on behalf of their government, then it is ok to blame the Chinese for duplicitous subversion of the truth on behalf of their government.Dickhead

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Are you suggesting that "the Chinese" subverted the truth about coronavirus, or about Huawei, or what? It's quite unclear from your post. In objective fact "the Americans" (or at least, their so-called President) have been subverting the truth about both Huawei and coronavirus, and much more so than the Chinese authorities in both cases.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

In that case let's boycot the US for causing the biggest massacre of all time then blaming it on the Spanish.

3. doublelayer Silver badge

"But after Covid there's a bigger picture and proactively not supporting China after crippling the planet might be a thought..."

Because if you don't buy their tech, they will ... not have viruses mutate into deadly forms? What? No, really, what? Something was going through your mind. You had a reason for linking these. But I have no earthly idea what it is. How does any restriction on China short of forcing nobody to come in or out ever help with a virus mutating there? And why China specifically? The permanent quarantine solution can work anywhere. So now I really want to know what benefit on viral spread we can expect from limits on Chinese tech companies.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Are the sanctions that big of a deal?

I don't think Huawei could sustain their business in the US past the short rush to put the "5G" logo on everything. Regardless of what the Chinese government could theoretically ask for in the future, Huawei has performed plenty of their own espionage against US telco tech in the past. Their global cellphones have one or two good tricks but are otherwise average gadget landfill, and they're a bit short on North American LTE bands. Being big with China Mobile, China Telecom and China Unicom doesn't bring on any good feels since those telecoms (plus OVH and Digital Ocean) are why anything facing the Internet needs botnet protection.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Huawei has performed plenty of their own espionage against US telco tech in the past

Citation please ?

It's kind of difficult for me to imagine that Huawei would have the advance it has in 5G if it had had to steal the tech from Cisco who is, apparently, nowhere near the same level. If Cisco had the upper hand on the 5G market and Huawei was biting its heels, then maybe you'd have an argument.

As it is, the whole reason for Trump's trade war and Bloomberg's ruinous fall from grace is because Cisco is not the top dog anymore, and Trump & Co will stop at nothing to try and drive Huawei away.

That from the champions of capitalism. Well, as long as it's in their favor, that is.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Huawei has performed plenty of their own espionage against US telco tech in the past

This has nothing to do with 5G - it's corporate espionage in general. You don't have to ask for a citation if there are good search engine results and even a Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Huawei#Intellectual_property_and_theft

Seen any Huawei handsets at a T-Mobile store recently? Nope. They're banned from some tech events too after getting caught trying to steal trade secrets (see citations of above article).

1. IGotOut Silver badge

The handset market is a fraction of Huawei's business. They make (very good) routers , switches, PBX phone systems, servers and on and on.

They have the backing of plenty of countries in Asia and Africa, many of whom have deep seated mistrust of the US government.

2. Intractable Potsherd

Can you point us at a large company anywhere in the world that doesn't do the same?

4. ManMountain1

We're already seeing it in these comments so it will be interesting to see how Huawei are impacted by some significant negative sentiment. Rightly or wrongly, I can see the clamour for them to play less / no part in the UK network only increasing.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

No what you are seeing in some of these comments is typical racism and bigotry that explodes in times of troubles.

Dont worry, nothing new, same old shit that's gone on for centuries.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you study the history of Japan you will discover that the root causes of WW2 in the Pacific were American expansion (conquest of the Philippines, for instance) and American anti-Japanese racism. Even American historians have documented this, it isn't controversial.

And now the US is repeating the same mistake with China; trying to maintain its hegemony on the other side of the Pacific and stirring up anti-Chinese sentiment, demanding access to export markets while trying to ban them to China, Russia and Iran.

There will be tears before bedtime.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5G market in China

"the firm was awarded half of China Mobile's 5G infrastructure contracts last June, with Nokia and Ericsson taking just 34 and 12 per cent respectively"

Actually this is incorrect. Huawei got over half, ZTE got 34% and Ericsson got 12%. Nokia got less than 1%.

ZTE being the other large Chinese maker of telecom equipment and to a lesser extent, consumer devices like SmartPhones. Also the same company who paid a billion dollar fine, after deliberately breaking sanctions and shipping equipment to Iran and other nice dictatorships.

Huawei cries about being discriminated against, but China is not an open market either and the Chinese vendors get the majority of the market share.

Market share for ALL foreign vendors combined is capped at 15% and the only reason Ericsson could win 12%, is because Nokia only got ~1%.

So very much crocodile tears from Huawei and ZTE.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like