back to article Microsoft corrects '775 per cent cloud usage surge' claim: Big number only applied to Teams and only in Italy

Microsoft has corrected its own claim that it had "seen a 775 per cent increase of our cloud services in regions that have enforced social distancing or shelter in place orders". The software giant has now updated the post - and published a correction with the US Securities and Exchange Commission - that made the claim with …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Really?

Big Tech Company 'embiggening' their figures for something that is later found to be wrong?

This is hardly news to those of us who have been around IT for more decades than we care to remember.

1. robidy

Re: Really?

Wonder what percentage of office 365 tenants are backed up with a backup solution that can be restored...just askin' like?

2. The Bobster

I would say it's particularly uncromulent.

3. LucreLout

This is hardly news to those of us who have been around IT for more decades than we care to remember.

Whippersnapper. I've been around IT for more decades than I CAN remember.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great times?

Do they need more global disasters to fatten their revenues? MS is not the only one that should check their declarations.

Anyway, let's see what in times of crisis companies will think about recurring expenses and lock-in contracts....

3. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Teams

Once you ignore how irritating Teams is, and the presumptive way it installs itself to launch at startup by default, all over your screen like a rash, I will say that Microsoft has apparently done a nice job with the load balancing and core on this. Audio has been good quality, the app has been reliable and mostly stable, and it only picks the wrong audio device about half as much as Skype for Business does.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Re: Teams

"and the presumptive way it installs itself to launch at startup by default"

I had to go to the AUR to get the bloody thing up and running. Was it worth it? Time will tell.

4. Luiz Abdala
    IT Angle

Aside from the surge...

...I had to use this Teams™ thingie for work.

You can't open side by side the chat panel and the files folder panel to load and unload files, so one person can guide you through whatever you need doing. Since the dawn of windows, the usability of having WINDOWS, is to have TWO of them doing different things. Open new view? Nope. New task? Nope.

No button, tool, right-click menu, nothing IN YOUR FACE to allow viewing the chat in one tab, and the uploaded files in another, with simultaneous view. Not just that, it FORGETS the folder you were in, going back to the root of the folder structure, or where you last logged in.

We are talking about having 3 different things in the screen: a chat windows, a cloud window, and a local file explorer window. The program doesn't allow the 2 first to happen at the same time, which is ABSURDLY STUPID. You can't edit files on the source either: you must download stuff into a temp folder, edit the stuff, and then re-upload, UNLESS you have OneDrive working on your machine, and then you edit YOUR file, which gets uploaded.

You can't get 2 copies of Teams on the same machine either.

IT icon, because the punks that built it never did IT or User Interface in their lives.

1. TheRealRoland

Re: Aside from the surge...

Am using the underlying sharepoint UI for file movement, and teams UI only for chats. Yes, very annoying.

5. Phil Endecott

When I saw the original number, my reaction was, “how can they possibly have enough space capacity to support a 7X increase”?

6. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

yeah

phil beat me to it, but I had the same thought, who is seriously going to have a cloud built out so it's typically 7/8ths empty? I figured something was off there...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like