back to article What are you doing at quarter past? WebEx wants you on calls then, to ease corona-congestion

Cisco's Webex collaboration service has urged users to turn off video and avoid starting meetings on the hour, to help ease pressure on public networks during the coronavirus-avoidance crisis. The service's status page says the global surge of remote workers caused by the virus is "putting a tremendous strain on regional …

1. seven of five

A lesson for crontab as well

This is a lesson most unix admins can heed as well: do not terminate every job in cron onto the hour. While the "heartbeat" may look nice in rrdtool, a constant "mumble" is much easier on the heartbeat and won generate loadspikes where all guests compete for the same CPU. Especially midnight.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: A lesson for crontab as well

Thumbs up for mentioning rrdtool. How sysadmins live without it is beyond me.

2. Sgt_Oddball
    Meh

To be honest...

After using all of the services listed over the past 2 weeks, they've all had issues to a lesser or greater extent. The most reliable one so far has been Microsoft Teams (It surprised me as well), but that could be that we've got a dedicated enterprise cloud server setup for it (as opposed to the general cloud service for the unwashed masses). Webex has long been known to suffer from issues using a computer for audio and we've used ...HAS JOINED THE MEETING..m since calls work better, as for video that's normally LINE MUTED..less you have a crap home/office broadband.

Also Teams doesn't suffer from Skype for Businesses anBONG!..ng when someone joins the meeting bEfOrE tHiNgS sOuNd LiiiiiiiKe ThEy'Re In A fIsHtAn..............

And don't even get me started on Zoom. Great with a 300mb line, crap with whatever wet piece string others on the conference were using. Especially if they're trying to stream a video over it (only just got the dried blood out of my ears from that one).

On the flip side. Who'd've thought that the dream of video calling from 2001:A space odyssey would happen because of a virus? (Though I still call BS on that scene since the call worked seamlessly and with perfect audio).

1. ComputerSays_noAbsolutelyNo Silver badge

Re: To be honest...

"Though I still call BS on that scene since the call worked seamlessly and with perfect audio"

... and that's why 2001 is science-fiction.

3. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Worst time to start a session...

Would be at 4:20 when everyone's taking their "meds".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like